My Heart Killer

romantic stories collection, all English or hindi romantic stories, long romantic stories in English and hindi. Love stories collection. couple stories..
romantic_story
Expert Member

My Heart Killer

Unread post by romantic_story » 06 Sep 2015 10:26

Drink, drink, drink

There's a pen tapping behind me and gum being chewed loudly next to me. I sigh and look towards the clock. Forty minutes until the last period is over. I wasn't exactly excited for the period to be over, but I was also somewhat looking forward to it. I'm being dragged to a party tonight that I don't want to go to. It's supposedly the "party of the year." But there will be college guys there! I mock my best friend in my head. College guys or not, I'd rather be at home. I answer her as if she were actually here. Needless to say, she isn't. She has a different class than I do.
"Ms. Ladeski."
"Yes?" I snap my head up to meet my teachers eyes.
"Is there a reason you're not paying attention?"
"No." I mumble. I hear giggles from around the room.
"Then start."
The bell rings and I start to pack up my things. Liliane pops her head through the door. She smiles at my teacher and I walk out of the room as she follows beside me.
"How was class?"
"Fantastic." I reply sarcastically.
"No need to be snappy."
"Right." I swing my lanyard around my finger. The keys clash together and make a jingling sound.
"What are you wearing tonight?" She looks up at me. She's significantly shorter than me. I'm five foot eight and she's only five foot one.
"No idea."
"I'll come over and help you pick something out." She flashes me a smile. I crack and smile back, despite my obvious annoyance.

--

"Try this one." A little black dress is thrown at me. "Also this." She throws a red tank top and black skirt at me.
"Can you please just pick one?" I ask. I curled my own hair and that's the only thing she let me do.
"Fine, black skirt."
"Fine." I roll my eyes. I strip out of my clothes and put on the red tank top and black skirt.
"Perfect." She places her hands on her hips, clearly proud of her work.
"How about a black tank top instead?" I look into the mirror. The shirt hugged my curves nicely but it was too bright for me.
"Why?" She slightly cocks her head like a confused puppy.
"Because it's a night party and I don't want to stand out."
"You need to stand out!" She practically yells. I let out a sigh and put my hands on my hips. "Fine," she sighs back. "But I'm picking it out." She rummages through my closet once again and throws a black tank top at me. I change into it and look in the mirror again. "The halter top makes your boobs look bomb." She plays with the strap. I glance at her and she giggles. The skirt is short but hugs my waist nicely.
"You know it's not going to be very warm out, right? It's October."
"Wear a sweater there then leave it in the car."
"Genius." I pull the skirt down a little so it's not so reveling. She smacks my hand. "I don't want to flash the entire party." I glare at her.
"Shoes." She changes the subject and goes back into my closet. "How are you with heels?" I can barley hear her, she's practically buried in a pile of clothes and shoes.
"I think I'm tall enough."
"They make your calves look great."
"I don't want to scare people away with my height."
"Heels it is." She throws a pair at me.
"Nice." I slip them on. They're tall with a chunky heel and a strap so my feet stay inside the shoe when I walk. They're glossy but the bottoms are matte red.
"The bottoms give you an excuse to wear lipstick."
"No, the bottoms give you an excuse to put lipstick on me." I laugh.
"You're right." She smirks and walks towards my vanity. I take a seat in front of the mirror and watch her through it. She has blonde hair, it's straight and messy. It's about shoulder length and compliments her face nicely. She has dark brown eyes, almost a black. I glance from her to myself. I have waist length hair in a rich brown color with brown eyes to match. Liliane puts the red lipstick on me. "Perfect." She grins like a child who just received a present. "I have to get ready then we'll go."
A half hour later Liliane comes back into the room. She twirls around so I can see her outfit. She's got a short black dress on with a pair of my stilettos.
"Not bad." I smirk.
"Why thank you." She bows, nearly falling over in the heels. I burst out laughing. "Shut up." She pouts.
"Let's just go."
We're at the party and there's already at least ten cars just in the driveway. Great I mentally groan.
"Don't forget to leave your sweater in here."
"Liliane." I sigh.
"Shush! You look hot." I take the sweater off and toss it in the back seat of my car. I get out and lock the doors while stuffing the keys in my bra. The air is crisp and cold, I can slightly see my breath. I take a deep breath in and exhale. Liliane links her arm in mine and we make our way into the house. I take a look around, there are drunk people everywhere. I look to my right and see two couples making out on the couch while someone is cheering them on.
"Classy." I mumble to myself.
"Do you want a drink?" Liliane shouts over the music.
"Just water." I shout back.
"You're no fun." She walks away towards the kitchen. I watch her as she gets a drink for herself and gets me some water from the fridge. She's back within two minutes. "Here," She hands me the bottle. "Let's go find people we know." She links our arms together again and heads up the stairs. She peers into a room and practically squeals. Her boyfriend looks up from inside the room and smiles at her. "I didn't know he'd be here!" She exclaims but I have a strong feeling she's lying. I don't mind them hanging out, I just mind being the third wheel. "I'm gonna go say hi." She walks into the room.
"Fantastic." I turn around and walk down the hallways. All of the room doors were closed except for the one Liliane's in and one at the end of the hallway. I walk towards the door and peak inside. There's about ten people sitting in a circle. I look towards the middle of the circle and see a line. I roll my eyes and head back down the hallway and downstairs. I lean against the wall and watch the crowd.
"Would you like a drink?" A voice interrupts me.
"No thank you." I look down at my water bottle and back up at the man. He's at least twice my age.
"How about a dance?"
"I'm alright." I uncap my water and take a sip.
"Tease." He mumbles then walks away.
After about a half hour of awkwardly standing alone I head outback for fresh air. The air smacks against my skin but also feels nice. I'm the only person outside so I walk into the backyard. There's an in ground pool behind the house and woods behind that. I walk over near the pool and stare into the water. The water is calm and it relaxes me. I bend down and spin my fingers around the water and it starts to move.
"Pretty out here, isn't it?" A voice startles me. I jump and nearly fall into the pool.
"Uh, yeah." I stand up quickly and straighten myself up.
"I didn't mean to scare you." He laughs.
"It's alright, I just didn't expect anyone to follow me out here." I drink my water.
"I didn't follow you out here. I came out here to get away from everyone and happened to run into you."
"Oh." I look down at the water again.
"So why are you here? It's evident you don't want to be here."
"My friend dragged me along." I watch the water calm down again.
"It's a little cold to be out here." He changes the subject.
"I know." I rub my arms and suddenly realize how cold I am.
"Do you want my jacket?" He begins to take it off.
"Look, I don't know you." I glance up at him. He's taller than me.
"I'm not trying to be a creep, I swear." He's defensive. I ignore him and look out towards the woods. We both turn around as someone opens the sliding back door and stumbles outside.
"Poooool!" They yell while holding out the "o." They try to stumble out here and fall down the steps. I begin to laugh and he joins in. Before we know it we're both doubled over laughing so hard it hurts.
"Ugh, my stomach." I continue laughing. He glances down at me and I hug my stomach. We both calm down. The drunk stumbles his way over to where we are and debates where to jump in. He nearly stumbles into me and I back straight into the guy with me.
"Sorry." I mumble and pull away from him.
"You're freezing." He frowns and takes his jacket off. "Please." He extends it to me.
"You won't get cold?" I ask as I put it on.
"I'm more concerned for yo-" He's interrupted as the drunk jumps into the pool. Another person comes out of the house and runs/stumbles over to the pool. I hear a giggle as someone runs behind them. It's Liliane and her boyfriend.
"Oh my god." I mumble under my breath. She's completely wasted and stumbles over to the pool. Her boyfriend jumps right in and she runs over to the deep end. The lines mark six feet. "Please don't." I watch as she stumbles across the concrete.
"Do you know her?" He asks from behind me.
"Yes, she's the one who dragged me here." As I finish my sentence she falls straight onto the concrete. I wait a couple seconds and she doesn't get back up. I rush over to her she bend down next to her. I shake her and she doesn't respond. "Liliane." I continue to shake her. Nothing. The guy is beside me and rolls her over.
"She's breathing."
"She's not responsive!" I continue to shake her. Her forehead is bleeding.
"We need to get her to the hospital." We?
"Okay, okay." I'm panicking now. He scoops her up and quickly walks around the house to the front.
"Which car is yours?" He asks as he looks around the driveway.
"I'm parked on the street." I rush out to my car and quickly unlock it. He sets her in the back seat and slides in beside her. I quickly turn the car on and start driving. I'm going at least sixty through a forty.
"Her breathing is slowing down!" He's panicking now also. I speed up and drive towards the city. I'm not at all confident with the area. For the love of god don't get lost.
I make it to the city and follow hospital signs.
"Hospital!" I yell. "Take her in, I'll meet you there!" I stop the car next to the emergency entrance. He's quick to open the door and rushes her in. I frantically find a parking spot and park my car. I run inside and don't see either of them anywhere.
"My best friend was just brought in here, I need to go back with her."
"The blonde?" The receptionist asks.
"Yes, it's an emergency."
"Straight through the doors then make a left at the third room." She opens the doors and I quickly rush through to Liliane's room. I step into the room to see four doctors hovering over her. They're sticking a tube down her throat. A doctor looks up at me and quickly walks over.
"Tell me everything you know."
"We went to a party and she was drinking beer at first but had more alcohol. I don't know what. She came outside to the pool and fell on the concrete and hit her head, that's when she became unconscious. On the way over her breathing started to get lighter and lighter."
"Okay, you're going to have to step outside for now." The doctor quickly ushers me out the door.
"Is she okay?" I look down to see the guy sitting in a chair next to the room.
"I hope so." I sit down beside him. I didn't even notice him sitting there when I was going into her room.
"I'm Nathan."
"Aviana."
"Pretty name." He smiles.
"Thank you." I slightly smile back. I'm shaking my leg, I'm nervous. He's trying his best to calm me down but I can't help it. "You don't have to stay." I look over at him.
"No, I want to make sure she's okay."
"Fine."
We wait fifteen minutes before a doctor finally comes out of the room.
"You're aloud back in."
"Is she okay?" I'm quick to my feet and inside the room. Nathan follows behind me.
"Yes, we have to monitor her as the alcohol leaves her system. We have her on a breathing tube for now, we're not sure how her body will do until the alcohol is completely out."
"Okay, thank you." I step over to her bed. Her forehead is bandaged up. Probably to keep from bleeding and getting germs on it. There's a tube down her throat and she's laid on her back. I rub my forehead and watch her as she continues to breathe slowly.
"Are you hungry?" Nathan asks as the doctor leaves.
"What?"
"Your stomach just growled." He looks from my stomach to me.
"It did?"
"Come on." He motions for me to follow him.
"But." I look down at Liliane.
"She'll be fine, you need food." I sigh and follow him outside of the room and down the hallway. We walk down the hallway in silence.
"Are we on the ICU floor?" I look up at Nathan.
"Looks like it." He continues walking. I hug myself and follow close next to him.
"How do you know your way around?"
"I read signs." He winks at me and I burst out laughing.
"Alright, smart ass."

--

We're both sharing a couple pieces of pizza, which he refused to let me pay for.
"I go to college here." He randomly states.
"Here? In Columbus?" I ask.
"Yes ma'am." He takes a bite of his pizza and some of the sauce falls right on his shirt. I laugh so hard I nearly cough up my food. "Real funny." He rolls his eyes but cracks a smile. We finish our pizza in silence.
"You can go home." I finish eating before him.
"I'd love to stay here with you but I probably should, I have a dog whose bladder is probably about to explode."
"I can drive you." I exclaim.
I turn into his driveway and put my car in park.
"Give me your phone." He commands and I do. After a moment he hands my phone back. "Keep me updated on how she's doing, please."
"I will." I put my phone in the cup holder.
"Thank you." He smiles and it's the warmest and most welcoming smile I've ever seen in my life.

romantic_story
Expert Member

Re: My Heart Killer

Unread post by romantic_story » 06 Sep 2015 10:27

Hangover Tactics

There's a beeping that startles me awake.
"Good morning." I hear a weak voice. My head snaps in the direction it comes from and it's Liliane.
"Glad to see you're alive." I cross my arms and stand up. The nurse in the room shoots me a look.
"You too." She winks.
"And still a punk." I roll my eyes.
"You should be able to leave today if all is well." The nurse enters information into the computer across the room.
"Thank God." Liliane fidgets with her blanket.
"Let me know if you need anything." The nurse steps out of the room.
"Hey." I hear a male voice step into the room. I turn around to see Nathan.
"Hi. What are you doing here?" I uncross my arms.
"Well, you weren't keeping me updated so I figured I'd just check up on her myself. How are you doing?" He turns his attention from me to Liliane. I turn to face her. Her face is completely puzzled.
"I'm sorry, who are you?"
"He carried you in here last night. He was your knight in shining armor." I cut him off before he can answer. He slightly blushes but smiles.
"Well, I mean. I guess you-"
"Thank you." Liliane also cuts him off.
"No problem."

--

"And you can keep an eye on her?" The doctor asks me.
"Yes."
"Okay, she's ready to leave now." The doctor walks into the hallway. After a few moments she's back. "All set to leave." She smiles at me.
"Thank you." I smile back. Liliane is leaning against her boyfriend and walks out the door of the room. Nathan follows but stops and waits for me. I walk out the door and he follows next to me. "Nice to see they're in a hurry." I watch them get in the elevator.
"I don't see how. They're both hungover." Nathan looks down at me. I burst out laughing.
"They're going to be so moody."
"You're telling me." He presses the elevator button and we wait.
"We'll have to do something at my house." I hear the elevator chime and we step in.
"Going down." The elevator is a computerized female voice.
"We?" He furrows his eyebrows.
"Oh," I run my hand through my hair. "I mean, I just assumed you would come over too. You don't have to, of course."
"I'll come over." He's laughing at me.
"Rude." I lightly slap his arm.
We took three separate cars to my house. I managed to be the last one there. I pull into my driveway and put my car in park. I listen to the rain lightly tap against the roof for a minute then shut the car off. I walk up to my front door, still dressed in what I was wearing for the party. I unlock the door and go inside.
"Hello?" I call out as I step inside. I know my mom isn't here and my dad probably isn't either, but I always still check. I hear William, Liliane's boyfriend close the door behind him.
"Is your mom out of town?" Liliane looks up at me.
"Yeah." I rub my forehead. "I'm going to go get a shower. I trust you guys not to destroy my house."
"Are you sure you do?" William laughs. I shoot him a glare then head up the stairs. I grab a pair of sweats and a tank top then head for the shower.
I'm quick out of my shower because I honestly do not trust them in my house. Especially Nathan, since I barley know him. I towel dry my hair and brush through it. I leave the rest to air dry and put on a hoodie, the rain left me cold. I go downstairs and see everyone on the couch.
"Exactly!" Nathan laughs. "She was like 'oh, you have got to be kidding me!'" The other two burst out laughing.
"Having fun, are we?" I ask as I head into the kitchen.
"He's hilarious." Liliane heads into the kitchen. "He almost makes me forget how hungover I am."
"You seem pretty active for having freaking alcohol poisoning." I roll my eyes and grab a water from the fridge. "You have to drink a lot of water for a while." I hand her a bottle. Nathan and William walk into the kitchen, still laughing.
"What does everyone want to eat?"
"I know what I want to eat." I hear William. I then hear a smack a few seconds later.
"I can't exactly make that." I turn around. Liliane's face is bright red and William's trying not to laugh. I look to Nathan.
"I don't care." He shrugs.
"Three people and I have no ideas."
"I want grilled cheese." Liliane chirps.
"Is that what everyone else wants?" The boys nod as I ask. "Okay, but you have to go lay down, Liliane."
"But mooom!" She whines then giggles.
"If I'm your mother then I won't hesitate to ground you."
"Fine, damn." She walks out of the kitchen and into my living room, William follows.
"Need help?" Nathan pulls his hoodie sleeves up.
"Sure, can you grab a pan?" I point to a drawer. He nods and grabs one out while I grab grease out of the turn around. I turn the stove on and place the pot on it. After a few minutes I put the grease in.
"Does your mom know we're here?"
"She doesn't care." I start making the first grilled cheese.

--

We're all eating while watching a movie Liliane picked out. She's seated next to her boyfriend on the couch beside me while Nathan and I share the other one facing the television. He's on one side while I'm on the other.
"When does your mom come home?" Liliane turns to face me.
"Not sure specifically. Hopefully this week or next week."
"Business trip?" Nathan questions.
"Yes, she's a lawyer. She's always out on them."
"That sucks." He finishes his grilled cheese. I only have a few bites left but I'm full.
"Is everyone done?" I ask as I stand up. Liliane grunts and William moves his plate towards me. I pick up all the plates and set them in the kitchen sink. I hear my phone ring from the dining room and walk over to it to answer.
"Hello?" I ask.
"Hi." I hear my mom. She's cheery.
"Hi." I smile.
"I'm stuck out here for a while, I won't be able to be home until around Friday."
"Why?" I try to hide the disappointment in my voice. The house gets lonely when it's empty.
"It's a long case. They had to extend it." She sighs.
"Oh."
"I hear there's a bad storm heading there, be careful, okay?"
"I will, mom." She's silent for what feels like ages.
"Have you heard from your dad?" She nearly whispers.
"No." I look around the house as if to see him here.
"I'll be home as soon as I can, I promise." She quickly changes the subject.
"Okay." I look out the window to see lightning. There's a low roll of thunder a few seconds later.
"I love you." I can hear my mom smile.
"I love you too." I smile and hang up. I set my phone on the table and head back into the living room.
"Who was that? Your boyfriend?" Nathan smirks.
"Mom, but close enough."

--

"Shit!" I hear Liliane yell. The room is suddenly pitch black.
"What did you do?!" I yell.
"It wasn't me! It was the storm." She yells back from across the room.
"Great." I feel around the wall find my way into the kitchen. I feel around the drawers and open one. "There should be a flashlight in here." I reach in. "Ouch! Crap." I yelp.
"Are you okay?" Nathan's voice is closer than everyone else's but still far away.
"Yeah, I think I just grabbed a knife." I roll my eyes at myself.
"Is it okay?"
"I don't know, want me to look and find out?" I giggle.
"Alright now." He laughs. I feel around the other drawers and carefully reach into them. "Perfect." I pull out a flashlight and turn it on. I look around the room and find a lighter. I walk around the downstairs and gather as many candles as I can. I quickly light them and set them around, mainly in the living room.
"How's your cut?" Nathan's beside me and grabs the flashlight from my hand.
"I didn't even look."
"Allow me." He gently grabs my hand and examines it. "It's still bleeding." I can hear a frown in his voice.
"I'll be fine." I pull my hand away.
"I hope so."
We're all laying on the couches again. It's been over an hour and we still don't have power.
"My forehead is sore." Liliane whines.
"It probably will be for a while." I lean my head against the couch arm.
"I didn't even realize I was drinking that much."
"I didn't think I'd have to babysit you." I tease.
"Very funny." She yawns.
"I know."
"It's cold in here." She whines.
"I know." I repeat.
"Don't you have a heater?"
"I don't know where the generator is." I begin to notice how cold it is.
"You suck." She sounds like a five year old at this point.
After a few minutes of silence Liliane drifts to sleep. I can tell because her breathing becomes deeper. William has been asleep for at least a half hour now. I listen as the rain hits against the roof of the house.
"Nathan?" I ask. I wait a few moments. Nothing. "And I'm the only one awake." I speak to myself. "Fantastic." I whisper as I lay back against the couch and look up at the ceiling. I can't see it, of course. I close my eyes and listen for the thunder. I can see the bright white flashes of lightning through my eyelids. I hug myself and roll over. My eyes are open now and staring ahead into the darkness. The power flickers and it burns my eyes. "Gah." I rub my eyes and sit up. It takes my eyes over a minute to adjust and I stand up. I blow out all the candles and put them back where they belong. I turn the heat on and grab a couple pillows and blankets. I walk back into the living room and throw a blanket on William and a pillow beside him. I carefully lift Liliane's head and put a pillow beneath it. I wrap her up in a blanket then head over to Nathan. I do the same thing to him as I did William but I actually make an effort to make sure he's wrapped up in the blanket. I turn the lights off and turn the television so we have a little bit of light. I turn the volume off and lay down on the couch. I close my eyes and allow myself to drift off to sleep.

--

The sound of a phone ringing startles me and I jolt awake. I look around the room to see everyone still asleep. I run my hands over my face and stand up. I follow the ringing to the table and pick up the phone.
"Yeah?"
"Hello, Ms. Ladeski. I'm just calling to inform you that you have not yet paid your electric bill and if it's not paid I'll have to shut it off soon." A male voice answers.
"Crap, okay. Can I call you back?"
"Yes ma'am." He answers again and I hang up the phone. I dial my mom and wait a few moments.
"Hello?" Her voice is hushed.
"Mom?"
"I'm in a meeting, can it wait?" She asks.
"I, um, I don't know." I trace my finger along our wooden table.
"What is it?"
"The electric company said they never got a payment. They're going to shut off the electric soon." I wait for a response.
"Can you stay with someone for a few days? I'm behind on the rehab bills and th-"
"It's okay, mom. Don't sweat it. I shouldn't of called." I nearly stammer.
"Baby, I'm sorry." She sighs. I can hear someone in the background calling for her.
"It's okay, mom. I'll figure something out. I love you."
"I love you too." She's upset but still manages to sound cheerful. I hang up the phone and sigh. I dial the electric company again and step into the kitchen.
"Hello?"
"Hi, it's Ms. Ladeski again."
"Hello." The male greets.
"I don't have the money." I whisper so quietly that I don't even hear myself.
"Pardon?"
"I don't have the money." I speak up a little bit.
"We'll have to shut it off."
"I know." I sigh and look down at my feet.
"Let us know if things change and we'll have it back on. You still have a day or two."
"Okay, thank you." I quickly hang up and chew at my lip.
"Knock knock." Nathan.
"Hey." I turn around and smile.
"Everything okay?" He looks down at my phone then back up at me.
"Fine."
Around eleven Liliane finally wakes up.
"I'm hungry." She groans.
"You haven't even been up five minutes."
"Feed me." She rolls over to look at me.
"Let's just all go out for breakfast." William suggests.
"Liliane has to stay in." I glance from her to William.
"Her and I will just run out and bring something back."
"Fine, don't do anything stupid." I cross my arms as she gets up and heads towards the door.
"Foooood." She quickly goes out the door. William grabs his keys and wallet and follows behind her. I stand up and walk into the kitchen to grab a bottle of water.
"When did I fall asleep last night?" Nathan asks from the doorway.
"Not too late." I take a sip of the water. "Do you always fall asleep on the first date?" I turn to face him.
"Didn't know it was a date." He replies. I suddenly regret saying it but his smile reassures me. "I'm just teasing you."
"Yeah?"
"We'll just have to go on a real date."

romantic_story
Expert Member

Re: My Heart Killer

Unread post by romantic_story » 06 Sep 2015 10:27

A million roses

It's now Thursday. The electric has been off since Monday. I haven't seen Nathan since Saturday but we have plans this Saturday. My mom comes home today and I've been looking forward to it all week.
I glance over at the clock. "Ten." I sigh and look outside. The night clouds are consuming the moon. I stand up from the couch and run upstairs to my room. I decide to go on a run to clear my mind. I put on a pair of sweats and a long sleeve shirt. I quickly slide on my Adidas shoes and pull my hair into a messy ponytail. I grab my headphones and my phone then run back downstairs. I plug the headphones in and turn on a song and go onto my porch. I look down at my watch and decide I don't have time to stretch then start running. I don't know where I'm going but I keep running straight down my road. I make random turns here and there and before I know it I'm in the middle of a different neighborhood. Crap.
I turn my music down since I'm in an unfamiliar place. I continue running and looking at my surroundings. Nothing is familiar. I slow down and start to walk among the streets. I make it to a park and see two teenagers sitting at the swings. "Can you tell me where Parsons Avenue is?" I ask.
"You're at least a mile from it." The male answers and stands up. My hands shake.
"Can you just tell me how to get there?" I ask. He points me in the general direction.
After an hour of searching I finally find my house. I go inside and lock the door while leaning against it. My breathing is heavier than it's ever been.
"What are you doing?" A male voice asks me from the couch.
"Dad?" I ask.
"What are you doing?" He asks again, but it comes out as a slur.
"I just got home, I went out on a run."
"This late?" He stands up but falls over. Drunk. I quickly kick off my shoes near the door then turn towards the stairs and start to head up them. "Now, you wait a minute." He stands up and and stumbles. "Come here." He commands. I walk back down the stairs and stand at the bottom. He makes his way towards me and trips over my shoes. I don't realize I'm holding my breath until I make a tiny gasp for air. "Are you laughing at me?" He asks. I quickly shake my head and he stands up.
"I wasn't laughing."
"Do you think this is funny?"
"I think it's pathetic." A sudden burst of courage erupts from me. I step down onto the floor in front of him.
"You know what else is? That you think you can go out and run around this late at night."
"At least I'm out sober." I spat. He raises his hand quickly and I flinch. Although, he stops himself.
"Go." He growls. I'm frozen in my tracks. "Go!" He yells. I quickly jog up the stairs and into my room. I close my door and press my back against it. After a few minutes I calm down and get a shower. After that, I'm off to bed.

--

"You look like crap." Liliane acknowledges me as she gets into my car.
"That's something I wanted to hear." I give her a glare.
"Did you get any sleep?" She asks.
"Maybe an hour."
"Sleep anxiety?" She closes her door and buckles herself in.
"Yes." No, I was terrified my dad would come upstairs and do God knows what I think to myself. But I can't exactly say that.
"Don't you have medicine for it?" She looks over at me.
"I did. My mom's behind on bills." I continue my lie.
"Because of your dad?"
"Yes."
"I'm sorry." She sighs and looks out the window.
"Don't sweat it."
The rest of the day is slow. By time my last period ends I'm ecstatic.
"Ready?" Liliane pops her head into my classroom. I'm her ride home since we carpooled. I nod. I stand up then head for the door. She watches me as I make my way down the hallway and down the stairs. "Does your mom come home tonight?"
"She's on her flight back now." I look down at my watch as we walk out the doors of the school.
"It must suck, her being gone so long."
"You get used to it." I tread through the parking lot to my car. I unlock it and slide in.
"I couldn't get used to anything you go through." She stares at me and she gets into the passenger seat.
"Save your chick flick moments for someone else." I comment. She bursts out laughing and rolls her eyes.
"So are you seeing Nathan this weekend?" She winks.
"I am." I start the car and pull out of the parking lot.
"I wish we could hang out tonight."
"Go suck faces with your boyfriend." I tease.
"Maybe I will!" She giggles. "Then you can suck faces with yours."
"Don't have one."
"Not yet."
I dropped Liliane off and made it home shorty after. My mom beat me to our house somehow. I quickly shut off my car after parking and rush inside.
"Mooom!" I squeal.
"Aviana!" She wraps me in a hug.
"How did you get here before me?" I can smell her perfume. It's my favorite scent. She always smells like there's a thousand roses completely wrapped around her, but not strong enough to be overwhelming. She's always worn the same perfume.
"I lied about my plane."
"Why?" I pull away.
"So I could make sure you came home to the electric being on." I look around and notice that it's on. "Do you have plans tonight?" She smiles.
"No ma'am."
"Good, I'm making your favorite." She trots into the kitchen. I follow behind her and notice my dad sitting at the table. He gives me a glare and looks back down at his iPad.
"Yum." I suddenly have lost my appetite. "Tell me about the case." I change the subject.
"Murder trial." She stabs the knife in her hand into the cutting board and bursts out laughing. I can't help but laugh along. My dad groans then heads for the living room. My mom stops laughing and starts to cut up potatoes.
"Sounds fun." I lean against the counter next to her.
"It is." She smiles but the smile doesn't reach her eyes.
"So were they guilty?" She's cutting the potatoes a lot faster now.
"The million dollar question." She pauses and places the potatoes in a pan. "Yes."
"Why can't people just get along?" I glance down at my nails.
"I wish I knew, baby. I wish I knew."
My dad's hiccuping across the living room from me. He drank too much too quickly. I can smell the alcohol despite my distance from him. "Dinner's ready." My mom calls out. She's less cheerful than she was when she came home. My dad stands up and walks into the kitchen. He isn't stumbling much but he's wobbly. I follow behind him and sit down across from him at the table. She's laid out three plates full of cheesy potatoes for the all of us.
"Smells good." My dad practically whispers.
"Thank you." My mom's face lights up, she gives him a sad smile. She watches him take a bite and her eyes plead for his approval. "Is it good?"
"Yes." He stares at his plate. Her smile lowers but is still plastered on her face. She's still in love with him. Maybe not with him himself but with what they had together. She's in love with her memories and the idea of him; but not the man beside her.