A story of love, loss and life - Trifecta - lesbian sex

Discover endless English sex story and novels. Browse Sex stories in English, Sex story English, adult stories ,erotic stories. Visit theadultstories.com
rajkumari
Platinum Member

Re: A story of love, loss and life - Trifecta - lesbian sex

Unread post by rajkumari » 05 Sep 2016 10:11

I stared out the window and listened to her symphony of babbling conversation topics. Every now and again I would hum or pitch in a 'yeah' to show I was still there and participating even though I wasn't. I was nowhere near California, or even Earth, anymore. My brain was somewhere far off in outer space, floating in a sea of nothingness. Space was cold, silent and numb and those were all things that I could willingly embrace if given the chance.

Alex continued to chatter on in that same tone even as we arrived at my home. Up the walk and into the house she droned on, but I had begun to ignore her at this point. I put my head in my hands and fell against the door. I felt that warm shudder pass through me that signaled the oncoming rush of emotion that wanted to get free. I had been doing a pretty good job of holding it in since my speech, but I couldn't dam the flood any longer. My breath came out in a hitched, shuddering gasp as I felt the power of that feeling go through me in an instant.

"Are you okay?" Alex asked, turning around and looking at me with concern.

I shook my head, "No." I replied and tears pushed at the brim of my eyes, begging to pour down. "No, not really. I've been trying all day to hold myself together and I don't know how anymore." That frustration and despair I heard in my voice caused them to burst forward finally. I began sobbing-the tears pouring freely now with the restraints off.

Alex pulled me to her, putting a hand on the small of my back and one on my head. "It's okay, it's okay." She whispered. "It's all gonna be okay." I laid my head on her chest and cried. I wasn't sure at all how to believe her assurance that it would be okay, but I allowed Alex to stroke my hair and continue to mutter words of encouragement while I let the immense sadness leave my body one tear drop at a time.

I heaved a ragged sigh. Feeling all cried out finally and pulled back a few inches from Alex. I looked at her with tear filled eyes, soaking up the face of the only person that was trying to put this humpty dumpty back together again. I felt the sudden urge to be close to her that I couldn't deny, no matter how hard I tried. I wasn't alone in that feeling either.

"You're so gorgeous." Alex breathed, brushing the hair out of my face.

I batted my eyelashes and cocked my head in inquiry. Unlike Lilah or the old me, I did these coy actions on purpose. I deliberately reeled in the prey in front of me so I could feel alive again-even if it were only for a moment. I didn't think about how we had just left Lilah's funeral or how bad this idea was given that my target was Alex. I was only concerned with the concept of feeling warm hands against my skin. I wanted someone to coax the pleasure out of my body that I was unable to bring out of myself anymore.

The trap I set worked like a charm. With a hypnotized stare Alex inched her lips closer to mine until they finally met for the first time in almost a decade. My arms slipped from her neck to grip her shirt and my mouth moved against hers in a way that showed my obvious want.

Thankfully, Alex picked up the hint and didn't waste time with anything. She unbuttoned my jeans and pushed her hand under the fabric of my panties. My breath caught in my throat feeling her fingers slip through my folds. I choked out a gasp at how sudden her actions were and without missing a beat Alex's lips went from my mouth to my jaw line.

A hand slid up my shirt to greedily grab at my breast next. This was nothing like the things that I had done with Lilah. Hell, this wasn't like I had done with any girl. This was raw, primal and rough. All just an outlet for the chaos of emotions stirring inside the both of us.

One of Alex's long digits found its way inside of me, pulling another gasp from my throat. I could see a tiny grin pull at Alex's features as her lips slid up and down my neck. Her soft lips on my skin had as much of an intoxicating effect as her finger inside my pussy or her hand grabbing at my breast. It was all a heady combo that was adding up for an explosive finish.

Alex nipped at my neck and that was all it took to cum all over her hand. I only allowed a tiny whimper to escape me as bucked through my orgasm. Alex watched me with utter concentration, a line forming between her brows from the focus she was mustering. My eyes searched her face curiously as she stared at me. From the way her bangs hung in her face to the ghost of a grin that lingered on the edge of her lips.

In less than a moment, I thought of three things simultaneously: Alex was amazing with her hands. Alex was incredibly beautiful. Alex wasn't Lilah.

She leaned forward to kiss me again but I turned my face away. She pulled her hand from my pants without making me ask and I was thankful for that at least. I inhaled deeply and steadied myself. What did I say now?

"This is because of Lilah isn't it?" Alex whispered.

"Of course it is." I said and shook my head, beating myself up inside already. I felt like I had betrayed Lilah already. "We shouldn't have done this. I'm just feeling lonely and lost and I'm not making good choices. I'm sorry to tangle you up with me."

"What if I want to be tangled up with you?" she asked defiantly. I couldn't believe she was actually saying this with Lilah barely in the ground.

"I need to get out of here." I said.

"Marley, no. Don't just leave again. Please." Alex was practically begging.

"I can't stay here and see her ghost everywhere." I whispered.

"Stay for me then." Alex replied, once more saying her words like they were a simple and easy truth to swallow. That was the furthest thing from the truth though. Everything Alex was saying was a poison barb slathered in honey to make it taste good on the way down. Every fiber in my body knew what she was trying to get me to eat, but I wanted it anyway.

"Lilah..." I began, but I wasn't sure what was supposed to come next in that sentence.

"Would want you to be happy." Alex finished for me, pressing her body closer again and running her fingertips down the sides of my neck. I shuddered, and for the first time today it had nothing to do with sadness, revulsion or despair. It was the shudder of desire that I couldn't stop running free through me, no matter how powerful my will was.

"I know your lonely Marley and I could make you so happy if you would just let me." Alex cooed into my neck, her tone taking a soft nurturing turn that made me feel warm and comforted-and completely attentive to every word that she said. I whimpered unconsciously, knowing full well that I was totally under the spell that Alex was weaving on me.

It may have been wrong on some level, but it didn't feel bad to have Alex as close as she was to me right now. I wondered how right Alex was about Lilah wanting my happiness and assured myself that it was true. Alex had known Lilah better than I in many regards after all, I had no reason to doubt her. Even if it wasn't true though, I had convinced myself that Lilah would want this for me and just began to go along with whatever Alex suggested.

"You've had a really long day, why don't you rest for awhile?" Alex suggested, taking me by the hand now and leading me up the stairs to my room. Not my room, my bed. The bed I slept on with Lilah for this past year, my brain argued astutely. It didn't really register though because she sat me down on the bed with no arguments from my mouth despite my brain protesting what was going on. Then again, if she really had bad intentions she would have just done something already right? She had no problem putting her hand down my pants after all...

Alex crawled onto the bed and got positioned behind me. She started to knead at my shoulders, dispensing the pent up stress that had accumulated there. As a writer I often found myself hunched up over a keyboard so there was usually tension in my shoulders. At the same time however, I had been wound up so tight for the last few months that I had knots on knots that I didn't even know existed.

"Does that feel good?" Alex asked.

"Yeah." I husked, letting my head slip down lower.

I let Alex work on my neck in silence, feeling more relaxed than I had been in a long time. I was so relaxed in fact that I almost felt normal. I had no idea how we could go from the tangled, intimate clusterfuck we were just in to this nice feeling of soothing satisfaction.

"That feels really, really nice actually." I confirmed again in an almost slur. Her hands were working such magic I felt like I could go to sleep right now.

"I can tell you need it." Alex said in a low voice. I could feel her warm breath on my neck and ear. She was much closer than when she had started this. In fact I could feel the stiff points of her nipples digging into my back just under my shoulder blades. Alex was smooth as grease-even I could learn a thing or two from her.

"Yeah." I breathed, not knowing what else I could say in this position. I felt like something was sitting on my chest and making it hard to breathe, at the same time I felt like a bonfire had been lit around my gut and loins. I was sure I would die at any moment from the suffocation or the flames-I just wasn't certain which.

"Do you want to lie down? It looks like you're going to pass out." Alex chuckled in a low murmur.

"Mmm." I hummed not sure if I should, considering everything that had happened in the last thirty minutes. Alex took that hum for affirmation however and scooted to the side before pressing me down on the bed. A protest was about to escape my lips, but after feeling the soft comfort of the mattress on my back and neck it dissipated.

Perhaps a little nap would do me some good, and when I woke up I would be able to think clearly. My eyelids drifted closed and I exhaled. Then I felt the mattress dip behind me and my eyes shot open again. Alex's hand came to rest on the curve of my hip and her nose grazed the back of my neck.

"W-What are you doing?" I stammered.

"You don't mind do you? I don't want to drive yet, I'm beat." Alex said. Her tone didn't have a hint of mischief in it which made it easier to believe she wouldn't start anything. I was sure I was in deeper than I had originally intended at this point though.

"No, that's fine." I replied in a whisper after a long pause.

"Good." Alex muttered. She swept away the auburn locks from my neck and laid her cheek there. "Good." She said again, this time in a voice that sounded very close to slumber.

I had to admit it felt nice to have her cuddled up next to me. I scooted back until my body was pressed against hers. Alex's fingers gripped my hip and pulled it back against her hard so there wasn't an ounce of space between her body and mine.

I could feel every twitch and move she made, including the erratic thumping of her heart in her throat, which was right where my head was lying. The sound of her heart pounding drowned out everything else and got me excited again for some insane reason. All of this with Alex wasn't where I should be at all, but the fierce pit of loneliness I had been in argued otherwise.

If someone didn't make me feel human again I would go insane...I am seriously fucked up inside.

Alex's fingers found a bare patch of my skin just above the tops of my jeans and began to play. The tips of her digits barely made contact with my skin, but it was enough to cause goosebumps to break out over my flesh. It was simple but it felt good enough that I couldn't help the tiny moan that escaped my lips.

We both knew what that moan really meant though. It was a sign of surrender that sealed my fate for the second time. Alex knew that if I enjoyed what she was doing I wouldn't say no, it made the internal battle of head versus heart even harder for me.

Alex's hand became more brazen now, sliding up the material of my shirt to run along my side and stomach. I held my breath, expecting her to just surprise me with some sudden action in true Alex style. Her head rested against the crook of my neck still and I could feel the tiny kisses she placed there mingled in with her warm breath. Her free hand slid up my arm before linking with mine, while the other continued to trace along my skin-getting closer and closer to my bra.

She tugged the cups of my bra down just enough to get her hand around a boob. When her thumb and forefinger pinched at the nipple my breath came out in a rush. I knew that Alex was probably smirking right about now even though I couldn't see her.

For a brief moment I hated myself for not standing up to my parents when I was eighteen, for not trying harder to get back to Alex and most of all for getting involved with Lilah. I hated myself even more for having that thought, but it was worth thinking about. If it wasn't for the time I spent with Alex that summer I wouldn't have become who I am now. Why did I ever let that slip through my fingers?

Alex kissed my neck then sucked the skin in her mouth hard enough to make me cry out. My outcry was met with a throaty chuckle before Alex twisted my nipple. Not so hard as to inflict any real pain, but hard enough to make me cry out again and leave my nipple tingling.

I gripped the hand that was holding mine and squeezed my hips together from the heavy wave of desire that washed over me. I wanted to call out Alex's name but knew that I couldn't. The semi silence was like a magic barrier between us and the real world, somehow I knew that if either of us were to acknowledge the situation with words things would break apart and I was afraid of how bad that might get.

Alex was doing her best to make me not think at all, which was even better. Her hand took a looping travel from my breasts to the edge of my pants again. I didn't shy away in the least this time. I laid my head back against Alex as far as I could and reveled in whatever she would give me. Alex slowly pulled the zipper of my jeans down-the button never got redone after our quick impromptu tryst in the foyer-and slipped her hand under the thin fabric of my panties.

Alex hummed deep in her throat as her hands slid up and down my lips. She must have been pleased with what her fingers found. For a moment I thought she would break the magical barrier the unspoken had granted us, but instead she just kissed my shoulder and started working circles on my clit.

I turned my head into my shoulder to stifle the moan that erupted out of me. Alex continued to kiss along my shoulders and my neck as she worked on my clit, first clockwise, then counter clockwise and back again. I would get close and she would change up the direction or speed or pressure. I wiggled my hips and whined my protest at how maddening she was, but Alex didn't change up her process. She would control when this happened and I would be happy about it.

Without any warning, Alex slid her middle finger inside of me up to the knuckle and used her palm to continue rubbing my clit in the same manner that her fingers had just a moment before. I clamped my thighs together on her hand and bucked my hips wildly, feeling it right there. Just out of reach but right there.

Right there. I wanted to say it so bad, but I bit my lip and continued to buck my hips reaching wildly for that orgasm and thinking as hard as I could, right there, right there. Alex moved her hand inside of me faster and clutched me closer to her at the same time.

The orgasm that exploded inside of me made me feel like I was melting into Alex. Everything seized up for a second and then I went to jelly in her embrace, feeling weightless and breathless at the same time. Alex removed her finger from me but ground her palm into my clit for a few more seconds, triggering a mighty after shock that wrung through my pussy before spreading out through my muscles like an electric shock.

Alex sighed and patted my belly with her cum soaked hand, leaving sticking trails behind where her fingers made contact. "How about that nap now?" Alex muttered, actually sounding tired compared to earlier.

I was still trying to catch my breath and couldn't really formulate the words to answer but I uttered a sort of humming sound of affirmation. Alex kissed the back of my neck one last time and nuzzled her nose into my hair. I felt her arm get heavy and her breathing get more even as she faded off. Sleep was the farthest thing from my mind however.

I slid out from under Alex's arm and turned to look at her. Watching Alex's chest rise and fall, I considered what had I done tonight. Gone to my lover's funeral, only to seduce her best friend who was also my ex lover, then I let that same woman seduce me once I came to my senses. Lilah's body was barely even cold and I had done all of this already. One thing was certain as I sifted through the scattered pile of trash that I had left all about: I was a fucking mess.

I didn't have to be though. I had the solution earlier. I needed to leave.

There was nothing for me here that would do anything but cause more disarray to my life, and Alex's too even though she didn't believe it. I needed to go somewhere-anywhere-where I could think straight and cope with everything that happened in the last year. There was no way I could ever pick up my pieces if I never got out of the haze this whole damn state put over me about Alex, Lilah and my entire existence.

There was no second guessing or hesitating. I had made up my mind and I intended to stick to it. I would do my best not to wake Alex and just leave tonight. There was no other choice. If I stayed things were going to get exponentially worse. I could feel that in my bones.

I looked over at Alex's sleeping figure once more. She wore an undeniably happy smile that made me regret what I was thinking about for only a moment. I couldn't just vanish without a trace, Alex did deserve more than that. I would write her a note and take only the bare essentials and have the rest moved to storage until I got settled again.

It only took me a few minutes to formulate a perfect plan of escape and then I was slowly sneaking out of bed so I wouldn't wake her. I wrote a quick note explaining why I couldn't stay and that I was sorry. Then I packed an overnight bag with a few changes of clothes and the essentials and crept out like a thief in the night. I wasn't proud of how today went and I knew I couldn't run from it forever, but at least now I could get a head start on the guilt.

I didn't have any idea of where I was going but I drove through most of the night until I was in Nevada and then stopped at the first motel I could find. There were pieces inside of me being torn apart at all the sudden truths that came to me as I was driving. I had no idea what the next step was for the first time in my life and that scared me. However if I could stay one step ahead of the fear I could outrun it and the guilt that life was bearing down on me. And you'll be living the perfect lie then. I frowned at the cynicism and truth of my brain's logic.

I spent the remainder of my night in a whirlwind of thoughts that ranged from self loathing to regret to anger. Even though I hadn't slept a wink, when the sun came up I hit the road again. It may not have been normal but this was how I was coping with my mess of a life and the decisions I had made. I didn't know any other way.

March, 2008

For the third time in my life I found myself grumbling internally as I crossed the state line of California. This state had caused me much more pain than was necessary, and somehow there was a reason to come back time and time again. It was like the Twilight Zone or something, drawing me in enough to get comfortable just to pull the rug out from under me and leave me with nothing again.

rajkumari
Platinum Member

The call came in just a few days ago, telling me that Tanya had finally passed from the disease that had been slowly killing her for years. A terrible part of me wanted to make up an excuse to not have to go back, even to honor the only family member I recognized and loved. Then I was told the other news, that I was featured in the will which required me to make a physical appearance.

That added a whole new anxiety to a process that was already overwhelming enough. The last thing I wanted to do was spill my heart out at another funeral. Not to mention I was now left in this world without a soul I could trust or confide in. Then on top of that there was the looming anxiety of the will. I just didn't know what I was supposed to expect. Tanya had never once made any notion that she had even made a will-let alone tell me I was in it.

It was unsurprising to see that the venue Tanya's funeral would be taking place in was the same one where Lilah's funeral was held. It was also unsurprising to find out that this event was coordinated by the same person who did that other funeral as well. What was surprising was that I wasn't punctual or early. On the contrary, I was fashionably late-possibly even pushing beyond the fashionable point.

Thankfully I wasn't so late that I couldn't slip in the front door unnoticed and blend in with the crowd. To my surprise there were a lot of people I recognized right off the bat, many faces I had seen around the town that Tanya had lived in nearly her whole life. It was also amazing just how many people had shown up. This place was packed beyond what I remembered last time I was here. It was absolutely incredible how many people had come to pay their final respects to my aunt.

Then I noticed Alex and looked away quickly, hoping that she wouldn't see me too. I was stupid to think that of course. She didn't come over right away, but in the following minutes Alex meandered over eventually and stood next to me without making eye contact. It was bound to happen sooner or later while I was here but I didn't want to have to deal with this so early on today.

"This seems to be the common rendezvous point for you and me." Alex said, innocently enough.

"Maybe I'm the angel of death." I shrugged. "Everyone around me seems to die."

"I'm still here." Alex said in a near whisper.

"Yeah." I replied with a dark chuckle. "You are still here aren't you?"

"What is that supposed to mean?"

I shook my head. "Never mind. Just forget I said anything." I regretted saying it anyways, no point in making more waves than there already were. "Listen I'll catch up with you later or something, I got to find someone." I left it ambiguous on purpose. I still wasn't sure that I really wanted to catch up with Alex at all.

"Sure." Alex replied in a tiny voice, her eyes downcast. I didn't like that I had made her feel bad, but it was something that could be dealt with later. "We're about to do the memorial bit though."

I frowned. It would have to wait either way then. I really had been late. "Right, of course. Well I should be getting in there then."

"Hold on a sec Marley." Alex said abruptly and caught me by the sleeve of my jacket. "Would you speak? For the memorial service I mean."

I had already anticipated this and so there was a folded up piece of paper with a quickly scrawled speech on it in my back pocket. "Yeah. I figured you would ask. Or someone would at least."

Alex uttered a sigh of relief and let go of me. "Thank you. This means a lot."

"I'm not doing it for you. I'm doing it for Tanya." I said and walked off. That felt too cold, even for me, but I didn't let it bother me. I pushed open the big double doors to the wide circular room where the memorial was held and found a spot somewhere in the middle of the seats.

The room began to fill up not long after I had found my seat and I was content that things were moving right along. I loved my aunt dearly but this was one big setback in the adventure of my life. That thought also seemed a bit too cold for me but I brushed it off too, after all no one really wanted to be at a funeral.

I watched Alex do her whole rigmarole of starting things off-for no particular reason, it struck me that she had grown her hair out since I had seen her last. Then one by one people began to come up to the podium. They sang songs, told stories and shed tears. This was so unlike Lilah's funeral in so many ways. Even though I had no desire to be here at all, I was touched by everything going on around me. The dedications that the guests here had prepared didn't kill me a little inside like they had at Lilah's funeral. Instead it was an uplifting hope of the good that really dwelled in the human race if you looked hard enough.

Finally my turn came up and I approached the microphone at the podium. I remembered the last time I had to speak at a funeral and it was a depressing affair to say the least. This wasn't the same though. I could feel it in the air that there was something different about this event. Tanya wasn't a twenty four year old girl just beginning her life. She was starting to become an old woman. She had lived life, saw rare sights and most importantly instilled a great amount of wisdom and respect to the youth around her. It wasn't right to be sad that Tanya passed today. We should be celebrating her life.

I thought of the quick speech I had scribbled on the way back to California but I knew that I had no intention of using it now. Instead of some flowery look at her life or the stereotypes so often used, I told the truth. The truth I felt about all of this.

"You know, I was blindsided about this whole situation." I addressed the audience. "It was only two days ago that I heard the news actually. When I found out, I knew somehow I would find myself up here talking to you about the life of Tanya Denning-maybe it's because I'm her niece or perhaps because I'm the writer. Who knows?"

A short, hushed laugh erupted from the crowd as I balled up the speech I had written and threw it over my shoulder. "I was going to say something completely different than what I'm going to tell you now. I was going to say everything typical that you would expect to hear at a funeral, but that doesn't feel like a very fair homage to Tanya. Tanya was anything but typical.

"She was the person you found helping others on her days off or taking a bunch of kids under her wing." My eyes found Alex on their own accord, and the smile she gave me touched her eyes making those hazel hues sparkle. "She was the most just and compassionate person you would ever meet. She was also the first person to slap someone in line when they were being disrespectful too. She wasn't a perfect saint by any means, don't get anything twisted. Tanya was however, the best of us-the best of humanity in every way that I knew.

"It makes me incredible happy to see so many people touched by my Aunt's good nature when most of her own family wanted nothing to do with her. It's true that blood's thicker than water. What they don't tell you is that blood can clot and cut off the flow, but water is always fluid. The people here that loved her most didn't need to be family to know that they were family. She was thankful for all of you, she told me that so many times, and I'm thankful for all of you too. When I couldn't be here, or just wasn't here, I'm glad that someone else picked up the slack and reminded Tanya that she was an amazing person. It's only because the love in her life that she was able to keep being amazing until the end.

"Even though this is the end, we shouldn't be sad and mourn. Tanya would want us to stand up and commemorate her life and her time here on Earth. She wouldn't want us weeping and falling over ourselves when we could be telling stories and laughing. So if I could ask you all one thing today it would be to not treat this funeral as a wake of a dearly beloved passing on, but rather a celebration of life that has just ascended to its next chapter." I wasn't quite sure where to end it from there so I simply capped off my ramble. "Thank you for your time."

I stepped away from the microphone and felt good about myself. That had felt right, everything I said. It felt right and I think it was exactly what Tanya would have me said instead of the flowery crap I had wrote on a pinch.

As I began to walk off the stage and back to my seat I heard a slow clapping begin. Others joined in quickly and soon it was a rousing sound from the mass gathered. I looked up and my eyes met Alex's again for some reason. I wanted to look away but she was looking right at me with the same wide grin before. Only this time I couldn't help returning it with a sheepish smile of my own.

My attention was quickly separated from Alex however when I saw the six foot tall suit flagging me down from the big archway of the double doors. This must have been the lawyer who had called me the other day. I was anxious to what this was all about so I could leave as swiftly as possible already. I made me way over to him in the most covert fashion I could as to not disrupt the other guests.

"You must be Ms. Denning." He said and held his hand out. "My name is Peter Jenson; I was your aunt's attorney. I have a copy of her last will and testament here that I need you to look over and then I'll have some paperwork for you to sign."

I took his hand in a firm shake and put on my best business forward smile. "You get right to the point don't you Mr. Jenson. I do appreciate that."

"I figure today will be hard enough for you without the added legal pressures looming over your head." He pointed out astutely.

"Let's get this over with then, shall we?" I said and pointed to a vacant table in the now empty main hall.

Jenson sat down, pulled out a manila envelope full of paperwork, and handed me a sheaf of documents. I raised an eyebrow as I thumbed through the bundle he handed over. "Do I have to read through all of this now?"

"No not all of it, only the parts that pertain to you. I believe that would be pages six and seven specifically."

I nodded and flipped through the pages until I got to the part I was looking for, the page that began with, To the trust of one Marley Elizabeth Denning. I was nervous to read on, but I knew that I had to keep going. My eyes scanned the page, getting through all the legal jargon until I got to the actual important part of the document-and then my jaw dropped.

Tanya had left me and I quote 'To my darling niece, Marley, I leave my home on 132nd Winchester and everything residing inside of it.' My stun left me in shocked silence until Jenson finally cleared his throat and asked if anything was wrong.

The universe is trying to make sure I never leave this fucking state, that's what's wrong.

The sarcasm almost burst out of me but I contained it somehow. "No, I'm just surprised is all. She had never made any notion that I would be inheriting her property. Or anything else for that matter."

"Well Tanya had no living children to speak of and she was very fond of you. So you were favored above all in her will." Jenson explained, pulling out more paperwork. Presumably this was the stuff I would have to sign.

I didn't have to live in the house of course. I could work it up some and flip it on the market. I'm sure Tanya would understand that I wouldn't be able to live here again. This new plan made me feel slightly better about the whole prospect. It was a nice house after all, I was sure there was someone out there that would actually enjoy living in such a place.

After my business was concluded with Mr. Jenson I slipped away from the rest of the memorial service to see what kind of work I had in front of me. Renovating houses wasn't new business to me at all. I used to help my father do work on the many properties he owned during most summers. I wasn't particularly fond of the work most times, but I understood how it was done and was capable of doing most of it.

However, pulling up in front of the house I wasn't so confident in my abilities. I parked on the street and stepped out before looking the house up and down with disdain. It looked even worse than the last time I had seen it a few years ago, and that was saying something. My plan to fix up the place and flip it faltered just looking at the front of the house. I was terrified to go inside and see all of the other things that would need to be done to it. Still, one way or another it had to be reworked and I was the chosen to do it.

"What the hell. I don't get outside enough anyways." I muttered and took my jacket off before proceeding to the back yard where Tanya's tool shed was.

I wiped the sweat from my brow and stood up straight to stretch my back. Looking around at everything that still needed to be done versus what had already been completed was extremely discouraging. Not only did I feel like a real jerk about not coming back to help her keep up with all of this, I kind of hated myself for taking on this project. Both of those were things that wouldn't change anything however.

"Need a hand? You look like you're sweating buckets there." I almost jumped out of my skin at the sound of the familiar voice. Why was Alex still here?

"I thought you went home." I grunted, trying to hide the fact that her sudden appearance had scared the shit out of me.

"I haven't been around the old neighborhood in awhile." Alex shrugged.

"Now that is a fucking lie and we both know it."

Alex kicked at the grass without looking at me. "Tanya told you, huh?"

"That's some covert ninja shit, just so you don't have to see some people that used to be important to you." I nodded in mild appreciation.

"It was for the best, our lives were going in opposite directions. I needed to get out of this town and the rest of them will never leave." She shrugged, "Now are you going to let me help you or not?"

I sighed in defeat. The job really was too big for just one. "I don't have much of a choice really, so yes. There's another shovel over there by the door."

I went back to digging up the earth along the edges of the cracked walkway. After I had finished this I would lay the cement and that would be no less strenuous on my body. Perhaps it was a blessing that Alex had come along.

Alex didn't need any direction to start working, doing the same thing that I was on the opposite side of the walkway. I did always like how we didn't need words to be around each other. There was usually a comfort in the silence that we were in. We both knew there was no need for conversation when there wasn't anything to say. Until of course, there was something to say.

"I'm sure you've forgotten or don't want to talk about it or whatever," Alex started, beginning to dig faster and harder with every word that fell off her lips. "But I don't want that last incident to loom over us. I need to know that you forgive me."

I knew this was going to happen eventually, but I didn't expect her to think I held any blame against her at all. "Look." I said. "That was my fault, not yours. So I don't have any hard feelings towards you at all."

"Don't be silly Marley. I played on your loneliness just as much as you used me because you were lonely. I knew what I was doing and I did it anyways because I'm selfish." Alex's brows were furrowed in a thick line above her eyes which were focused solely on the job in front of her. "I had an opportunity to have you and I took it, without any regard for you or the memory of my best friend."

You could see how much Alex had ate herself up inside over these last few years, it made me terrible that I left on such a hazy note. I reached over and put a hand on Alex's shovel to still it. She looked up at me with glance that was pure remorse sprinkled in with curiosity.

"I don't blame you for anything." I said firmly. "If you're looking for forgiveness you can have it. As far as I'm concerned we can sweep it all under the rug and pretend it never happened though."

Alex nodded, the crease between her brows slowly unfolding. "That would probably be for the best."

"So how long are you staying in town?" I asked, trying to get away from that uncomfortable memory.

Alex shrugged, going back to a normal pace of working. "Not sure yet."

"Well I have a lot on my plate here. If you, uh, want to keep helping me out I wouldn't say no."

"That was an awfully passive aggressive way of asking for my assistance. Want to try again?" Alex replied in her usual snarky manner.

I sighed, knowing that she was right but not wanting to admit to it. Still, I swallowed my pride and actually asked her this time. "Would you like to help me finish the renovations around here Alex? I could really use your help and there are two extra rooms you can have your pick of if you need somewhere to stay at night."

Alex's face lit up and she clutched her chest in mock enthusiasm. "I would love too! Oh, thank you, thank you!"

I used my shovel to fling a shower of soil at Alex. It hit her square in the face and had her spitting dirt out for the next few minutes. I couldn't stop laughing however.

"This is why," I got out between giggles, "You shouldn't always be a smart ass."

"Well." Alex said, spitting out the last of the dirt. "It still beats being a dumb ass, right?"

"Well if you must use one of my killer comebacks, then I suppose I'll surrender. Superior logic and all."

Alex dug the tip of her shovel into the ground and leaned on the handle, "Why are you doing all this work right now anyways, shouldn't you be mourning or celebrating or whatever it is you do to grieve?"

"I came to grips with this a long time ago; it's been more of a relief than a surprise really." I shrugged. "But it is getting pretty damn hot. I would be willing to put off the outside work for awhile at least. I haven't had the heart to go in there yet so I don't know what to expect."

"Tell you what, you go inside and start figuring things out. I'll go and pick up some drinks. What do you say?"

Alex's amiable nature was hard to turn down so I just grinned and nodded. "Sure."

"Cool, I'll be back in a couple of minutes." Alex announced and jogged off to her car. I turned to go inside and see the damage finally.

The paint was peeling and thin deep cracks ran through both the hardwood and linoleum floors. I sighed and began to walk slowly through the first floor. My heart sank further and further as I went through the rooms. At first it was because of all the work I was bound to do here, but it shifted into something else after awhile. I was depressed to see Tanya's place so rundown. This was a place of happy memories and good feelings, but neither of those things was reflected in its current state.

Unlike outside though, I had no idea on where to start in here. It was overwhelming thinking of all the things that had to be done. In fact it was a panic attack waiting to happen just trying to shift through what should be done first.

"Okay, relax. I'll finish everything eventually." I muttered to myself and took a deep breath. Alex would probably want to hang out in the living room, so that would be as good as anywhere else to get things started.

The living room was as bad as the rest of the house of course, but if I looked at it like a single isolated project it was a little easier to deal with. I could see all the things for just this room and they seemed manageable enough. I fingered the torn upholstery on the couch and frowned, I would have to replace that. Shame, I always really liked that couch. The rest of the furniture seemed to be holding up pretty well though. New couch, paint job and some good carpet would fix most of the problems in here.

rajkumari
Platinum Member

I wandered throughout the rest of the house and began to evaluate what needed to be done in that same even headed and calculated manner. I would go insane if I tried to do this any other way. Before I could continue my trek upstairs, Alex returned. I decided I could put this on hold for a little while since I already had a list as long as my arm for the downstairs and outside alone.

"Well it's about as bad I remember." Alex remarked on her way in. Just as I expected she went straight to the living room and placed the bag she had brought in with her on the table. From that she brought out multiple styles and flavors of beers and set them each on the table.

"Had no idea what you liked, so I brought a variety." Alex said and cracked open one of the bottles before taking a big swig.

"I'm not picky, you should know that." I replied and sat down on the torn up couch next to her.

There was an odd lull where it felt like neither of us knew what to say. We would look at each other awkwardly only to turn away and drink more beer. Finally Alex cleared her throat and opened her mouth, she always was better with this kind of thing.

"Y'know your movie wasn't as bad as I thought it would be." Alex said.

"That's what we're going to talk about, huh?" I asked with a chuckle.

"That's what I'm talking about, yeah." Alex replied, a good natured smirk appearing on her face.

"It went really well actually. I was impressed at how it all turned out. The fans liked it on top of that so I think I may have won in every corner. So now my agent is trying to talk me into doing the sequel but I'm on the fence about it."

"Why?"

I shrugged, "It was just a living hell last time. I had a hard time wrapping my mind around the format of script writing y'know? I don't want anyone else to mangle one of my books though so I'll end up doing it and then I'll be a very unhappy camper."

"That sounds like you." Alex chuckled. She picked at the couch for a second and then looked at me with concern. "Did you realize there's a rip here?"

I nodded, "Yeah, I saw it earlier; I was going to scout around for a replacement tomorrow."

"That's too bad. There's a lot of good memories right here." She said softly, staring at the wide tear.

I couldn't disagree with her either. This couch was where Alex and I had first kissed. It was where she had read my first story. So many things happened that summer, right here on this couch.

"Can I tell you something? It's kind of random." Alex asked in a near whisper. I was afraid of what she was going to say, but I knew I had to hear it.

"Of course." I said finally.

"I had every intention of leaving California for good today before I saw you. When we're done with all of this I very well might still." Alex took a long swig and looked on thoughtfully. "I don't see a reason to be here anymore. Everyone I know is either dead or moved on."

"I can relate to that." I said. "Ever since I left I felt like I've been wandering without any purpose. I have no idea where I'm supposed to go from here either."

Alex uttered a chuckle that held no humor, "Well aren't we a pair?"

"At least we have each other still." I shrugged.

"I'll drink to that." Alex said and held her bottle up to me. I touched my beer to hers and allowed myself to smile a little. It was nice to have Alex around to talk to, even if I had nothing else. Despite our long and arduous history, she was a good friend. After the last few years I supposed I needed a good friend again.

My head felt heavy and fogged the next morning. I couldn't remember drinking that many beers in one night since I was in college. I rolled out of bed with a groan and slipped into a loose tank top and running shorts. The typical California heat had begun to really roll in with the start of March and I would rather be wearing nothing because of it. Unfortunately I had to think about modesty as long as Alex was planning on hanging around.

I went downstairs to make a cup of coffee to clear my head and was pleasantly surprised to see a hot pot already made. Over half of it was gone and that made me wonder how hyped up Alex was this morning if she had that much caffeine in her system already. I shrugged it off and poured myself a cup. It was too early for me to care what Alex was doing and I couldn't think with the bright morning sun peeking through at me.

With shuffling feet, my coffee and me went to the dining room table. I didn't even take a sip though. Instead, I laid my head on the cool wood surface and closed my eyes again. I wasn't ready to start living quite yet today.

"Mornin' Sleeping Beauty." Alex said with an absolute cheery voice. Speak of the devil.

"Morning." I grunted.

"You oughta get dressed. The rest of the guys will be here in a little bit."

"What?" I asked blearily and raised my head to try and look at her. The sunshine coming through the kitchen window was incredibly bright though, and it nearly blinded me for a second time this morning.

"The rest of the gang is coming over to help with the house. Bobby, Jesse and Laura have been here for a few hours already. You seemed pretty dead to the world so we got a head start without you." Alex chuckled. "Hope you don't mind."

I blinked through the sunlight to see Alex leaning against the kitchen counter, grinning at me. She had a filthy tank top on that looked like it might have been white at one point but was now covered in dirt. The thick jeans she wore had matching stains and a stuffed tool belt slung around her waist. Her hair was tied back in a ponytail and her face was just as smudged and dirty as her clothes were. There was something very appealing about her casual, messy work appearance that caused a twitch somewhere deep inside my loins.

"Not at all." I forced myself to say finally. "I appreciate all the help. I'm, uh, gonna go get dressed so I can thank everyone personally."

I stood from the table and retreated back upstairs without waiting for a response from Alex, leaving my coffee untouched completely. I shut the door to the master bedroom and threw my back against it. That sudden rush of lust that hit me in the kitchen had the weight of a ten-ton truck behind it.

Why? Why was it every time I was around her I lost all control? Why?

I banged the back of my head against the door a few times. It created a soft thud with every rap of my skull. With a final bang I exhaled roughly through my nose and got control of myself. You're just horny because you've been hard up for awhile, its fine. My pep talk did an effective job motivating me and I felt confident enough to go back down there and face whatever this day may have for me-after I put on pants of course.

I could hear a mess of noise coming from the kitchen when I finally made my descent downstairs. I could tell that there were more than just three or four people, so the rest of the 'gang' must have indeed arrived. I contemplated what this was going to be like for a quick minute. I hadn't seen most of these people in many, many years. Even the ones I was on more familiar terms with, like Bobby, hadn't spoken to me in the three years since I had left.

A hush fell over the dining room when I entered. At least thirteen different bodies were packed in the room. All eyes turned to look at me, no one saying a word. Then Jesse-bless his soul-greeted me.

"Hey, Webby! How ya been girl?"

"Been okay Stones." I grinned. "How 'bout yourself, ol' buddy?"

"Not too shabby." He shrugged.

That was all it took for the rest of them to accept me like they once had. I was still a part of the gang. I was still one of them.

Pockets bum rushed me with a tight hug around the middle that damn near knocked the glasses of my face and the wind out of my lungs. "We've missed you so much!" she exclaimed.

I patted her back. "Missed you too, but I can't breathe."

"Give the girl some room honey." Bobby chuckled and pried his wife away from me. He clapped a hand against my back and smiled a bright, toothy grin. It caught me off guard how much he smiled like Lilah in that moment-or rather, how much Lilah smiled like him. "Good to see you again Marley. Welcome home."

The concept of this being a homecoming was a bit unsettling at best. I wanted to distance myself from this place and everything around it. The last thing I would call this was home. Not after all of the things I had lost here.

Of course, I didn't say any of those things out loud to Bobby. He had always been something of a leader to this group, so openly saying 'yeah, fuck that' to him would cause a ton of animosity really quickly. Besides, I had always liked Bobby quite a bit. He was a real stand up guy and I wouldn't spit on his hand like that. Whether I agreed with his sentiment or not was irrelevant, I accepted it because I respected him.

"Sure." I said simply, feeling anything more than that one word would lead into me saying something stupid.

"Well," Alex interjected. It was as if she could sense that I needed saving, "Not to interrupt this reunion, but we should get back out there before it gets any hotter."

"C'mon guys, you heard 'the man'." Bobby said and shoved Alex with a playful grin. She stuck her tongue out at him before motioning me to follow along. I never did get that cup of coffee, but I would live. Duty called.

When the sun began to hide under the horizon we finally decided to call it quits. The front walkway had been repaved with new cement, the cracks in the steps had been fixed and half of the furniture for the living room was outside because most of the floor was pulled up. We had managed to get plenty done, but the job was anywhere near complete.

Everyone agreed to meet back here once or twice a week, as schedules would allow, until the work was finished before they each drifted back to their own separate spaces once more. This was a collective agreement that had nothing to do with me. The gang told me that they would do it out of the good of their heart and nothing else. The sheer generosity that they displayed over this project was overwhelming, but then again, so was their appearance in the first place. Alex must have had a hell of a time swallowing her pride in order to ask them all for help.

I let the last of the sun rays soak into my skin and stretched out on the back deck. Every muscle in my body ached, but maybe that was a good thing. I had lived the easy life for much too long. I was getting soft in more ways than I was willing to admit.

"Cold one?" Alex asked, standing above me suddenly. Her hand was outstretched with an icy beer in her grip.

"Yeah. Thanks." I sat up slowly, my body protesting every move I made, and took the bottle she offered. "So, what made you reach out to the old gang?" I asked before taking a sip. If there was anything the last few years had taught me, it was that bush beating got you nowhere. If there was something you wanted to know, the best way to find your answer was to just ask.

She shrugged. "What you said yesterday I guess."

"What did I say yesterday? I remember being awfully patronizing when we were talking about that subject so I doubt that was helpful." One girl's cynicism did drive me to start writing a book though.

"No, what you said during the funeral. The whole blood and water thing. Bobby and Jesse and all those guys are my family. We helped raise each other out here until we met your aunt. This house was the happiest place that any of us knew and seeing it like this was the final straw after thinking about what you said. I don't know what I would do if I couldn't come here every now and again and think about all of the good times I had just hanging out on Tanya's porch. Or having a real family meal with my crew, who were the only brothers and sisters I would ever have."

I didn't have the heart to tell her that I planned on selling the house after it was fixed up. After hearing her story I wondered if I even had the heart to sell it now. Alex and her whole group of friends were like the orphan gang from some timeless classic. What kind of monster would I be if sold off their only safe haven because I didn't want to manage another property? There was a sickening moment where I realized that my original thought about this place was something that would have come from my father's brain. The notion made me want to vomit.

"I was going to sell the house." I admitted suddenly and Alex knocked over her drink in the sudden whip like turn her body made to face me. "I can't obviously, but I was planning on it."

"How could you even consider that?" Alex asked in an accusatory-and downright hurt-voice.

"I don't know." I shook my head. "It just seemed like a cruel joke to keep me tied here."

"Why is it so bad to be here?"

"The worst things in my life have happened here. Not here specifically, but in this state." I shrugged.

"I see your point, but if I'm not allowed to go anywhere, than neither are you." Alex's brow had furrowed to a frustrated line and her jaw was set in a hard lock as she stared me down.

I sighed, growing weary of this conversation by the second. "Look, I don't want to fight about this. The important thing is that I don't plan on selling the place now, so you can rest easy. Besides, I'm pretty sure Tanya would haunt my ass if I did."

"I hope she would." Alex huffed, "And I'm holding you to that."

"Fine." I agreed. I didn't dare bring up the good of my word. Something told me if I did I would be hit with a blast from the past that proved me wrong from Alex's side. That wouldn't help in the least right now.

"Fine." She huffed and stood up. "Gotta clean this up." Alex gestured to the puddle that her spill had created with the toe of her boot and walked into the house.

Alex came back a moment later with a washcloth in hand and kneeled next to me before she began to scrub up the mess. My eyes were strangely drawn to her hands. Looking at them sent tingles all the way to my core, not unlike what had happened this morning. Generally the thought of petite girls with smooth curves got my motor running, but somehow watching Alex caused a new fantasy to unfold in my head that I'd never had before-at least not one that I can remember as an adult.

It was a fantasy where those hands traveled across my skin, every unexplored nook and cranny I had to offer. It was those hands running through my hair. Those hands coaxing me to new heights of pleasure that I didn't know existed. Those hands controlling my body.

I shifted uncomfortably at the sudden onset of these thoughts with Alex so close by, and when I did I felt the product of my fantasy oozing out of me before it began to drip down my thigh in a slick line. A hot blush rose in my cheeks, it was the first time in years that I had been embarrassed about my own sexual arousal towards someone. I tried to open my mouth and mumble an excuse to walk away but instead my eyes traveled upwards from her hands to the muscles working under her arms. Something about the way her whole body moved was different than all the other girls I was used to, it was powerful and mesmerizing.

"Where do you think we should start tomorrow?" Alex asked, still looking down at what she was doing. Her words seemed to float over my head. I had heard her, but I couldn't quite grasp what she had said exactly.

"Hmm?" I hummed in a dreamlike state and brought the bottle in my grasp to my lips for another swallow.

Alex looked up at me with a raised brow. "Are you even listening to me?" she asked.

I shook my head and blinked, pulling away from the fog of imaginary fantasies my mind was conjuring. "Sorry. I was distracted." I muttered.

Alex rolled her eyes. "What do you want to start with tomorrow?"

"Oh. Uh, probably finish the living room so we can move everything back inside. I would say paint first, that way we won't have to worry about any drip mess. It'll also give me some time to pick up the new carpet."

"Carpet? You mean wood panels right?" Alex looked puzzled.

I shook my head. "Nope. I mean carpet. If this is going to be my house than I want it to be the way I like. I like carpet in my living room." I watched Alex's eyes get wide as I spoke and I wanted to laugh out loud at her reaction. "Don't worry. I'm not going to tear everything out and change it all. I just wanted a few things different."

Alex raised a finger, but put it back down just as quick, obviously biting her tongue on this one. Not selling the house was a win after all, right? Might as well not push your luck. I smiled smugly in accordance to my inner monologue and waited to see if she would contest me.

"Should be a lot easier to install carpet I suppose." She muttered finally.

"My thoughts exactly." I said my smirk widening.

"Well, it's gonna be another long day tomorrow. If I get some sleep now I should be able to beat the sun and get an early start." Alex said and stood up.

I sighed and followed suit. Even though I wanted to stay up longer I knew that it would only get hotter and hotter throughout the day, it wouldn't matter if we were doing indoor work or outdoor work the air was bound to be boiling anytime past noon.

"Yeah, you're right. I think I'll join you." I said and Alex turned on me with a speculative glance. "I meant that I'm going to bed as well." I amended quickly, the blush rising in my cheeks again.

"Uh-huh." Alex replied and turned her back to me once more before heading inside. I chuckled in spite of myself when she was out of ear range. Something was definitely on my brain today and it wasn't exactly innocent.

I knew it was back to the grind tomorrow, but at least it would just be Alex and me. A week ago that would have been the most awful concept I could imagine, but like always being around here made me see her differently. Her presence was downright soothing to me most of the time, and the other times...well, at least I could take comfort in sneaking peeks at Alex while no one else was around. That idea tickled me, and as I settled into my bed I became more excited about this whole renovation project.

April, 2008

"There's something that's been on my mind lately." Alex said. She was taping up the walls before we started painting the second floor hallway. Most everything had been finished downstairs and outside, so naturally it was time to migrate up.

"Oh yeah?" I asked a bit tentatively. I had been having tons of second thoughts about the attraction I had towards Alex again. While I was still deciding what the best course of action for me was, there was a creeping fear sinking in that she might have picked up on my subtle hints and decided to act on them finally. I don't know what I would say if she brought it up.

"Whatever happened to that book you were writing? I expected you would start working again after everything calmed down for you, but lo and behold after all this time still nothing. What gives?" Alex handed me a paint roller and raised a brow, looking at me with that expectant gaze that only she could pull off.

"Oh that." I said flatly. I was thankful she hadn't brought up the topic I was dreading, but this wasn't much better. "I scrapped the project." I said simply, hoping that would be enough for a case closed.

"What! Why?" Alex exclaimed.

I shrugged and turned away from her. "I was writing it for Lilah. Not much of a point to finish it now."

I dipped my roller in the aluminum tray lying next to me, coating it all over before I slapped it on the wall. I worked on covering the old plaster with a new face and waited for the outraged cry from Alex. It never happened though. She huffed in disdain, but after that the only sound was our shuffling feet and the spongy sound of new paint being smeared on walls.