Five Point Someone What not to do at IIT Novel Chetan Bhagat

Contains all kind of sex novels in Hindi and English.
sexy
Platinum Member

Re: Five Point Someone What not to do at IIT Novel Chetan Bh

Unread post by sexy » 08 Sep 2015 10:34

Operation Pendulum
THE NEXT DAY AT KUMAON LAWNS RYAN WAS HIS LORDLY best. “Guys, just
listen to me.”
“No way, you can’t do this. Please, stop this nonsense,” Alok said.
“He has a point,” I conceded, not fully sure of what it was though.
“Can you guys just listen to me for a minute? You don’t have to do anything,” Ryan said,
sounding almost reasonable.
“Sure,” I said.
“We have lived in this place for three years, right? And what have we got?” Ryan said.
“Oh, don’t start about the system being crappy, Ryan. Just come to the point,” Alok said.
“I will, I will,” he said, realizing that he didn’t exactly have a patient audience in hand.
He took out a sheet from his pocket – two A4 sized sheets stuck together – and laid it out on
the grass. Employing two pebbles as paperweight, he began with a flourish, “This,
gentlemen is a map of the insti building. All profs get the major papers ready and printed a
week prior to tests but our Cherian’s a paragon, so his must be ready even earlier. Here,
Cherian’s office is on the sixth floor. The roof is on the ninth floor…”
Ryan’s face was intense like Alok’s while writing his exam paper. This was not a casual
conversation; he had pondered over this for a while.
“I told you the whole idea was crap. How can you force these details on us as if we’ve
said yes,” Alok said.
But that is how Ryan is, he decides, and then he proposes, and then he does whatever he
wants to anyway.
“Ryan, what is all this man?” I said.
“Just listen to me. Hari, I could get you the A grade you want here. Imagine, your girl will
finally not be ashamed to acknowledge you. And you too Fatso, an A won’t look so bad on
your grade sheet when you apply for jobs either.”
“But it is so warped, so…so wrong,” Alok protested, looking at me for support against
Ryan’s latest madness. But I was already thinking of walking hand in hand with Neha in the
insti gardens when the moon was out. Could I really get an A?
“It is wrong only if you get caught right?”
It was kind of hard to argue with Ryan’s logic, especially if you were dreaming about
your beautiful girlfriend at that time. Yes, it is a crime only if someone catches you.
Otherwise, it is just a neat plan.
“But…” Alok tried again.
“Anyway, let me finish,” Ryan said, without letting Alok finish now that I looked half way
there.
“The roof is on the ninth floor. So, if I suspend myself with ropes and then sail down to
Cherian’s window, I can get to his room. You guys can help me, just like we got Hari into
Neha’s room.”
“Are you crazy? Neha’s room was easy, no ropes or anything. And the insti building is
nine floors high,” I said.
“I am not scared. I have done rock climbing in school,” Ryan said.
“What if the window is not open?” Alok said.
I could see Ryan liked Alok’s question. Not only because Ryan had thought about it
before, but because it meant Alok was buying into this. But wait a minute, was I on board
with this just because it was Ryan? An A would be nice though.
“Yes, what about the window?” I said.
“The insti windows have latches that are weaker than rubber bands. They are the same
windows as in Kumaon hostel. One bang on the back and it opens.”
“Still, you will suspend yourself from the roof?” I said.
“I said I wasn’t scared.”
“What if someone sees us?” I said.
That is the thing about Ryan. He is brilliant, but also fearless. This machismo might lead
to an over-confidence that could kill the plan.
“No one will see us,” Ryan said.
“Yeah right. Just three guys hanging on to the insti roof as usual. Institute security
wouldn’t care, eh?” Alok smirked.
“Fatso, it will be super dark,” Ryan said.
“But we could make a noise, or the movement could be seen by the security jeeps on the
roads. Remember, we are not on the roof, but hanging by the sides. We just might be seen.”
“C’mon guys…” Ryan said, looking bored.
“Too risky. Forget it,” Alok said, tearing blades of grass. I had to nod, too. Besides, just
the thought of Ryan bungee-jumping upward made me sweat.
“Well, you got any better ideas?” Ryan said, irritated.
“What were you planning to do next anyway?” My curiosity got the better of me.
“Okay, here are the next steps,” Ryan pointed to the side of the paper. “One, switch on
light on the opposite right wall. Two, scan the room for a sealed brown bag. Three, open the
seal with a knife, and take out one copy of major paper. Four, using a candle and fresh seal,
fasten the bag back. Five, get the hell out of there.”
“Sounds simple enough after that,” Alok said, “but I guess we can’t get in. Let’s go now,
I’m hungry.”
“There could be a way,” I said.
“What?”
“Through the door. His main regular office door,” I said.
“How? Break the lock? Of course, you know that is impossible, with the noise and
everything. And he’ll know the next day,” Ryan said.
“No lock breaking. Just get in elegantly with the key,” I said.
“Key? Where the hell will you get the key?” Alok said.
“From Neha’s car keys. Her dad’s office keys are in the bunch,” I said.
Everyone fell silent for five seconds. It was the silence of admiration for sheer brilliance.
“Wow. I guess you just have to steal the keys then,” Alok said.
“Why not just sneak them out for half an hour and make a duplicate?” Ryan said.
“I guess. Not the easiest thing to do, but can be done,” I said, and smiled smugly at my
own genius. Cherian’s office was an open door.
“Hari, you are a killer man. That is awesome,” Ryan said.
He finalized the revised plan again. It seemed simple enough now, and we had invested
too much time in it to walk away from it.
“So we go up at night, just as we go to the roof for the vodka. But we stop at the sixth
floor and raid Cherian’s office,” Ryan said.
“Not raid, just turn the key and slide in,” I said, impersonating a mock key with my
fingers.
“Yes, up yours Cherian,” Ryan poked air with his middle finger. We all laughed and
shook hands.
“Let us give this operation a name. Something sexy, something unsuspicious and simple.”
“Something that will swing our miserable fortunes in this place,” I said.
“Yes, this swinging operation can be called Operation Pendulum,” Ryan said.
And on that bright lawn with our sun-lit eyes, we blithely cheered in unison, “Operation
Pendulum!”

sexy
Platinum Member

Unread post by sexy » 08 Sep 2015 10:34

The Longest Day of My Life I
THEY SAY NO ONE DAY CAN BE TOO SIGNIFICANT IN YOUR life, but I tell you the
day of Operation Pendulum was the most memorable and longest of all my IIT days. Each
moment, each event is vivid and fresh in my mind as if it happened yesterday. It was the day
that changed our lives, or at least changed us.
There was no formal date set for Operation Pendulum. It was kind of like, we’d do it the
day I got the key thing done. The majors were less than a week away, so we were sure
Cherian would have the papers by now. And of course, we’d need some time to figure out
the answers to those questions. So the sooner the better.
April 11, the day of Operation Pendulum, a day that started with my date with Neha. I
should have seen the signs the moment Neha told me she’d sprained her ankle.
“What?” I said over the phone, “I am dying to meet you. Don’t cancel today. The majors
will begin after that.”
“But Hari, I can’t even walk ten steps. Please, can’t we do it some other time?”
“Can I just see you for half an hour. How about I come home?”
I knew Neha’s mom would not be at home that day. It was the eleventh, the day she went
to that temple by the tracks and sobbed for her son. That is why Neha had agreed to the date
in the first place.
“Home? Are you mad? What if someone sees you?”
“Third year is ending, can you stop being so scared?”
“But...”
“And what if I get an A, you’ll introduce me then anyway right?”
“Okay, but only for half an hour. And come exactly at 11.30, so I’ll leave the doors open,”
she said.
“Great. I’ll see you then,” I said, keeping the phone down with a sigh of relief. I just had
to see her that day, or rather see her car.
“Everything okay?” Ryan quizzed as I left Kumaon.
“Of course. See you in two hours,” I said.
“Shh, quiet, just come in quickly,” Neha said, whispering quite unnecessarily.
“No one is here,” I said.
“You’re crazy. So, why the big urge to see me today?” Neha said, leading me to her room.
“Well, you know third year is ending and majors and everything,” I said, my eyes roving
around the room to spot any key-racks.
“So?” Neha said.
“So I thought meeting you would be good luck for the exams,” I said sitting down on the
bed by her side.
“Wow, how romantic!” she said, “and I thought my loafer was pining for me and dying for
me and whatever…”
“Oh, I was,” I said and leaned forward to hug her. It was true. I was always pining for
her. She looked beautiful. Even with her sore ankle, all pink and wrapped in a crepe
bandage, she managed to look beautiful.
“Ouch, careful,” she said, pushing me back on the bed, “I know what you pine for.”
“What?”
“My body, not me,” she said, nose up in air.
What is the difference? I thought. You just cannot understand girls sometimes.
“That is not true,” I said, just guessing that it would be the right response.
“Come here,” she called me and kissed me.
“When does Mom get back?”
“In two hours. You know, Samir Bhaiyya’s date.”
“I know, it’s the eleventh. You know Neha, I wanted to ask you about that.”
“What about it?”
“I was talking about it to Ryan...”
“You talked about Samir to Ryan?”
“No, just discussing how he well, died. You know the jogging and everything.”
“So?”
“So Ryan made a point. A good point.”
“What was that?”
“That who goes jogging on a hot May morning?”
She fell silent, released me from her hug and sat away.
“Neha?” I prompted.
“Hari,” she said and sobbed, “Hari, I didn’t want to tell you this, but I have to.”
“What?”
“Wait,” she said and went to open her cupboard. A bright mélange of clothes appeared,
quite unlike an average Kumaon guy’s closet. Neha took out a folded piece of paper. “Read
this,” she said.
I opened the page and my eyebrows jumped up in shock, it was signed Samir.
Dear Neha,
I love you my little sister, as much as the day I first held you in my arms when you were
born. I was so proud that day, and will remain so forever.
Neha, can you keep a secret? By the time you get this, I may not be in this world. But
you must understand that no one in the world must know of this letter.
I have tried three times to get into IIT, and each time I have disappointed Dad. He
cannot get over the fact that his son cannot handle physics, chemistry and maths. I
cannot do it Neha, no matter how hard I try, no matter how many years I study or how
many books I read. I cannot get into IIT. And I cannot bear to see Dad’s eyes.
He has seen thousands of IIT students in his life, and cannot see why his own son
cannot make it. Well Neha, he sees the students who make it, but he doesn’t see the
hundreds of thousands who don’t make it. He has not spoken to me for two months. He
doesn’t even talk to mom properly because of me. What can I do? Keep trying until I die?
Or simply die?
If anyone finds out that I took my own life, Mom would probably not be able to survive.
But I had to tell someone – and who else but you. I love you Neha. And you tell them I
went jogging.
Yours in eternity,
Samir
“What the heck is this,” I said, feeling creepy . It is not ever y day that you hold a suicide
note in your hand.
“It’s true. I should have never told you. But I’m so close to you and you start all this
investigation thing and…” She burst into tears.
“Listen, now calm down,” I said, speaking more to myself than to her. She stopped crying
after five minutes and I gave her a glass of water.
“You want to know what happened in my viva?” Maybe it would make her laugh. “Ryan
made me have vodka shots,” I said.
Neha lifted her head up and squeaked, “That was you? Dad mentioned it. That was you?”
She started hitting me with a pillow. She was laughing again. She looked beautiful, and I
could have sat there admiring her beauty forever but I was on a mission today, to get the
keys for Operation Pendulum.
“Stop, that hurts,” I said, moving toward her on the bed.
“Don’t come near me, you drunk loafer. You know Dad brooded for two hours that day.”
She was laughing so hard, she had to press her stomach with a hand.
I curled up next to her and held her. She turned her face towards me, almost in reflex. We
kissed, and then we kissed again. Then she held my hand and did something that she had
never done before; she put it on her breast.
Wow, my head went into a tizzy. What happened to this girl? Had she lost her mind? I
certainly lost mine and forgot about Operation Pendulum.
My hand slid under her T-shirt and then clumsily under The Bra. Life would be so much
better without hooks.
“Easy Tiger easy,” she said. I liked it that she called me Tiger.
She sat up to remove her T-shirt. And then the rest. I sat there transfixed, trying hard not to
let my tongue hang loose and pant like a dog.
“Well Tiger, are you going to remove anything or not?” she said.
“I..I…” I said as she pulled me close.
Half an hour later, we lay on the bed, spent but completely content. I looked up at the old
ceiling fan in Neha’s room, going around in awkward circles and felt dizzy with happiness.
“So?” Neha said.
“So what,” I said, regaining my equilibrium.
“Say something.”
I was bloody beyond happy. If I did not have that key to steal, I would have stayed put
forever.
“That was quite…amazing,” I said in an understatement.
“Thanks. I liked it too. I guess I am a bad girl now,” she said.
“No, you are not,” I said, scared she might regret this and never do it again.
“Yeah, right. Here I am, lying naked with a man who was drunk in his viva, while my Dad
is less than a kilometer away in his office,” she said and laughed, “It’s so liberating.”
“Really?”
“Yes, so liberating, yet so sad,” she said.
“Relax, Neha,” I said, fearing an inexplicable round of tears. “Do you want to go out?”
“No. Why, don’t you like it here?”
“I do. Just wanted a cigarette,” I said.
“Oh yes, I have heard cigarettes are great after sex. Please get me one too,” she said.
“You don’t smoke!”
“I don’t sleep with guys either. Hurry, get me a fag please.”
I saw the opportunity, and jumped at it. “Can I take your car?”
“Why? You didn’t get Ryan’s scooter?”
“No, he wanted it for squash. Can I?”
“Okay, the keys are on top of the fridge. Be quick though,” she said as she got up and
picked up my shirt.
“Hey, that’s my shirt you’re wearing,” I pointed out.
“I know. I like it, it is so loose and perfect for a little nap,” she said and pretended to fall
asleep.
“Neha. Don’t be ridiculous, how am I supposed to go out?”
“Wear my top,” she said lazily.
“It’s pink, and all tight. Are you nuts?”
“Just take one of Dad’s shirts in the closet downstairs.”
“Neha, don’t be silly…”
“Get lost and get the fags Hari, you have tired me out,” she said and threw a pillow at me.
Thinking if I could take Prof Cherian’s car and daughter, I could totally take his shirt, I
took out a white shirt from his closet, plain apart from the DC monogrammed on the sleeve.
I picked up the bunch of keys from the fridge. Six of them, one surely for Cherian’s office.
“Yes!” I said to myself as I left the house.
I drove out on the empty road, as the mid-day sun had forced most people indoors, drove
to Jia Sarai and went straight to the duplicate key shop.
“Which one?” the shopkeeper said.
“All six,” I said.
As the shopkeeper carved the new keys, I bought a pack of cigarettes. This was simpler
than I thought. I lit one and drifted into thoughts of hugging Neha again. This had to be the
most wonderful day of my life.
The keys were ready soon. I put the new bunch in my pocket and drove back into campus
through the insti gates.
Just as I turned toward faculty housing, I saw a bicycle ahead of me. I am mad, I am
stupid, a freaking jerk I thought as I honked – and turning around to look at me was Cherian.

sexy
Platinum Member

Unread post by sexy » 08 Sep 2015 10:35

The Longest Day of My Life II
THERE ARE TIMES IN YOUR LIFE WHEN YOU ARE SO SCARED you scream, and
there are times you are so beyond scared you just freeze. I mean you kind of get fossilized in
an icebox and never come back to life ever again. When Cherian got off his bicycle and
walked toward me, or rather his car, I went into deep freeze.
He came and stood next to me. I should have probably got out, but I was crap scared to
move an inch. I heard my heart, which was louder than Cherian’s words. “This is my car,”
he said.
True, I thought, ten out of ten. I can control this, I said to myself and tried to breathe.
“Yes, sir,” I said.
“Who are you? And what are you doing in my car?” he asked next.
“Sir, just driving back…sir,” I said, probably looking as stupid as I sounded.
Cherian parked his bicycle on the side of the road and abandoning my role as a wax
model, I got out of the car. Oh, where were the dinosaurs when you needed them?
“Were you driving to my home?” Cherian said, opening the front door. Yes, he was going
to drive now. Could I go home?
“Yes, sir.”
Suddenly his mighty brow furrowed. “I know you. You are a student, right? What is your
name?”
“Hari, Sir,” I said, glad he had asked the only thing I was sure about.
“You are the one who was playing tricks in my viva?”
I nodded, guilty as charged.
“Get in,” Cherian said.
I quietly opened the other front door and sat next to him. He started the car.
“Who gave you the keys?”
I jumped at the last word. My hand caressed my trouser pocket from the outside. Yes, the
set of duplicate keys was still there. I had to think of something now. Any reason why I
could be driving his car apart from buying post-coitus cigarettes for his daughter.
“Neha, sir,” I said after a deliberate pause.
“You know Neha?” the professor’s eyebrows shot up.
“Sir, I met her on the road. The car had a flat tire.”
“So?” Cherian said.
“Sir, I was passing by and offered to push the car to the mechanic. She had to go back and
I offered to bring the car home.”
Silence from Cherian. Had he fallen for it? I guessed he had, for he started the car and
started driving it slowly.
“Why did you offer that?”
“Just wanted to help,” I shrugged modestly like I go about scouting for good deeds all
day.
“And you don’t have classes to attend?”
“A free period, sir.”
“Silly girl,” Cherian spoke aloud to himself, “Gives the car to any stupid stranger. I have
to talk to her about this.”
I kept silent; a new thought had crossed my mind; if Neha would be dressed. The last
thing I wanted right now was a surprise hug from her when she opened the door. If only I
could get ten seconds before she spoke to Cherian. Or if only I could disappear.
Cherian parked the car at his house.
“Sir, can I go now?”
“No, come in. This stupid girl should at least thank you. Not that I’d ever let boys like
you come near my house.”
“Right, sir.” I totally understood him.
Cherian pressed the doorbell. Neha opened the door wearing just a bed sheet.
“Have you…” Then she saw her father. “Dad,” Neha said, blinking her eyes and adjusting
her bed sheet to cover the maximum. Surely, this was one hell of a kick compared to
cigarettes.
“Your keys, ma’am,” I spoke quickly, “Don’t worry, I got the puncture completely fixed
and brought your car back.”
“Huh?” she looked at me.
“Neha, are you out of your mind? Why aren’t you dressed?” Cherian said, controlling the
volume of his voice only because I was there.
Neha blinked again before disappearing into her bedroom, presumably to change.
“This daughter of mine is mad. Sit down,” Cherian said.
“Sir, we pushed the car for twenty minutes. She must be tired,” I said. Well, sex was like
pushing a car sometimes, only a lot more pleasant.
Neha came back wearing a very daddy’s-good-girl salwar-kameez and holding a tray
with two glasses of water.
As Cherian drank his glass, I repeated, “I was just telling your dad how your car got a flat
tire and I helped you take it to the mechanic and then brought it back. I met Sir on the way
here you see.”
“Oh?” Neha said, striving for an intelligent facial expression.
“How can you dump the car on a stranger?” Cherian asked her.
“Sorry Dad,” Neha said and collapsed on the sofa.
“Sir, can I go now?” I said.
Cherian gave half a nod and I was out of the house. I walked as fast as I could without
running.
“Hari,” Cherian shouted when I was at the gate.
I froze and turned. “Yes, sir.”
“You are not that smart, you know,” he said.
I’d always known of Cherian’s disdain for students with low grades. I didn’t know he’d
be so direct about it.
“Sir, I know sir. I will study harder.”
“That is not what I meant.”
“Sir?”
“I was a student once too you know. And the best one, a straight 10 all four years.”
“I know Sir.”
“And if you think you can mess with my daughter and get away with it, you are wrong.”
I stood silent.
“You drink in my viva, and now I find you fooling with my daughter, in my car and
wearing my shirt,” Cherian said and tugged at my collar. “You watch it Hari, you watch it.
This is IIT, not some bloody regional college. First the viva, and then my daughter. My
daughter!”
“Sir, it is not what you think.”
“Don’t tell me what to think. I knew my daughter was distracted these days. God, and
because of scum like you! You stay away from my home and my daughter. Just away,
understand?”
“Yes, Sir,” I said, wishing Cherian would let go of my collar. I was beginning to go limp.
I mean being caught by him on top of losing my virginity was hardly conducive to
strengthening me.
“Good. I don’t want people talking, so I won’t bring this up again. But you stay away
from her and focus on your courses. For, Hari, one slip in the insti and I will ruin you. I will
bloody ruin you,” Cherian said, his face an unpleasant red.
“Sir, I will stay away. Just let me go,” I pleaded.
He released my collar, his fingers still trembling. I ran out of his gate and toward
Kumaon. It was the fastest jog of life. I stopped only once, when I passed Cherian’s bicycle.
I don’t know what struck me. I turned to make sure no one was around, and then released the
air from both the tires. Damn, that monster deserved some revenge. And that just might make
the bastard believe there are flat tires in this world.
“No way man,” I said, panting as I reached Ryan’s room.
“No way what? Did you get the keys?” Ryan said.
I tried to catch my breath.
“What happened?” Alok asked as he came to Ryan’s room.
“Hell. Hell happened.” I regained my pulse and related the whole story.
Ryan started laughing. Even though he is bold and everything, that is not what I expected
from him. Cherian was there, holding my bloody collar and threatening to ruin me.
“Fuck Ryan, this is not funny,” I said.
“Oh really,” he said, laughing even harder, “then what is it? Cherian’s shirt, Neha in a
bedsheet. The prof must have gone psycho,” Ryan paused to laugh some more. “I wish I was
there.”
“Shut up. This is added tension man,” Alok said.
“What tension? You got the keys right?” Ryan said.
I nodded as I took out the bunch.
“So we’re still doing this?” I said.
“Why not? How does Cherian know about this?” Ryan said and dangled the keys in front
of him like a tempting bunch of ripe grapes.
“I don’t know. I’m scared Ryan. I really am.”
“Just relax dude. You are in shock, sex and horror on the same day,” Ryan said, laughing
again.
“Hari is right. We should re-evaluate Operation Pendulum.”
“Nonsense,” Ryan said and became serious again, “if at all, it makes the case stronger.
Hari’s only hope is if he cracks the majors. He can then still make Cherian feel that he is not
such a loser after all.”
“Thanks Ryan,” I said.
“Oh come on Hari. You had a few hitches today, but still managed fine. Let Cherian think
what he wants.”
“Wonder what he will do to Neha,” I said.
“You can’t do anything about that, can you? And not today at least. Let’s get the major
paper and then worry about other stuff.”
“You should talk to Neha after a few days only. Don’t worry, Cherian will try and bury it.
He wouldn’t want the world to know. And he doesn’t look like the dad who can talk to his
daughter about this sort of stuff,” Alok said and put his arm on my shoulder.
“We are friends man. Just have to wait for the evening now. Remember co-operate to
dominate,” Ryan said and hi-fived both of us.
Two hours later, at exactly five p.m. Alok got a call from home. We were sitting in Ryan’s
room and playing cards.
“Alok! Urgent phone call!” the guard below shouted at the top of his voice. Alok threw
back his set of three cards.
“What is it?” I said.
“I don’t know. Maybe my sister’s engagement date got fixed,” he yelled as he ran down
the stairs.
“Let’s go down. If that is true, we can get Fatso to treat us,” Ryan said as we followed
Alok down to the booth.
“Yes Mom, yes, I am fine. What happened, you don’t sound so good,” Alok said.
Ryan and I looked at each other and shrugged our shoulders.
“Really? What? I mean how could they?” Alok said as his own face dropped. Ryan and I
backed away from the booth. No treat this time.
“What happened to Dad? Mom, speak louder this line is not clear. What happened? Not
eating anything? For how long?” Alok said as the line got disconnected. The phone had gone
dead.
He sat down on the floor of the telephone booth. The flimsy wooden box shook with the
weight. “Can you believe this?”
“What? The phone has been giving trouble all week,” Ryan said.
“The boy’s side cancelled the proposal,” Alok said.
“Why?” I said.
“They wanted a portion of the dowry right now. To lock in the boy. Mom said she will
apply for a loan but it will take a few months. Meanwhile, they get another deal and it is all
over. Bloody idiots,” Alok said.
“That sounds sick. Why would you want to marry your sister off to such a family
anyway?” I said.
“I don’t know. All boys-side families are the same. And Dad is upset and has not eaten
anything since I don’t know when. There is mayhem at home, and the bloody phone is dead.”
“It is probably good the phone is dead. What could you have done? Get up now, let’s go
up and talk,” Ryan said, giving Alok a hand.
We went upstairs and stayed quiet for a while. Ryan finally broke the silence.
“Six o clock,” he said like a don to fellow-gangsters, “four hours more. We leave
Kumaon at ten for the operation.”
I nodded my head, barely listening to him. I was wondering what Neha was doing right
now.
“Ryan,” Alok said, “I am really not comfortable right now...”
“About what?” Ryan said.
“I am getting nervous about this operation. First Hari runs into Cherian. Then Didi’s
proposal flops. And Dad might just fall sick again if he doesn’t eat properly. I mean, we
don’t have to do this, do we?”
“Hey wait a minute now,” Ryan said as he stood up, “what has your sister’s proposal got
to do with this? And your dad will be fine.”
Alok remained silent with an unconvinced expression.
Ryan look at me and then back to Alok a couple of times. He paced around the room and
started speaking again, “But tell me, is this the time to discuss all this? I thought we had
made the decision. Look, we even have the keys.”
He jingled the bunch in his hand.
“But Ryan, we don’t need the risk now,” Alok said.
“There is no risk. Just four hours, and we will have the paper. End of story.”
“Hari, what do you think?” Alok said.
“Wait a minute,” Ryan said, his voice louder. “Are you going to make him take sides
again? Hari, does this Fatso want to do what he did after the first sem?”
“Relax Ryan,” I said, interrupting my re-playing of the last moments with Neha, “why are
you shouting?”
“Then tell Fatso to make up his mind,” Ryan said and sat down. He lit up a cigarette and
took a hurried puff.
“Of course I don’t want to split, guys,” Alok said.
“Or does he want to stay here and make us do the work? So he can get the paper for
free?” Ryan said.
“See, that is what he thinks. He doesn’t trust me,” Alok said.
“Relax guys, I said, “I think all of us are getting tense here. We have four hours until the
insti gets empty. We have the keys. We want the paper. If we do it, we do it together, right?”
“Right!” Ryan said.
We looked at Alok.
“Right” Alok said in a volume one-tenth that of Ryan.
“And we have thought through the risks right?” I said, looking at Ryan “Of course,” he
responded.
“Then let us just go for it. And Alok, your didi will find another match. If not now, maybe
when you get a job and can pay for the wedding. What is the big hurry? Right?” I said
looking at Alok.
“Right,” Alok said, his voice sounding more confident and relaxed.
“Friends?” I said, looking at both of them.
“Of course,” Ryan and Alok said in unison. “I’m in,” Alok said.
“Good. Let’s stay quiet for the next few hours,” I said, wanting to dream about Neha.
We kept quiet for the next three hours. Alok said something about being worried about his
dad. But we told him to relax, as his mom had handled such situations before. We did not go
down to the mess to eat dinner. Somehow, we felt the crowds in the mess would read our
minds.
“Ten o’ clock,” Ryan said and we jumped up as the clock struck the hour.