A Howl In The Night - Romance, thriller, paranormal

romantic stories collection, all English or hindi romantic stories, long romantic stories in English and hindi. Love stories collection. couple stories..
admin
Site Admin

Re: A Howl In The Night - The Trophy Men

Unread post by admin » 09 Jan 2016 11:03

The Trophy Men
"Get up!" I throw my pillow at the mop of blue hair that never ceases to irk me. If I could, I would hit his face, but he has that and the rest of his body buried under a mountain of covers.

A groan emerges from the lifeless bundle, then silence.

"Don't make me have to say it twice," I narrow my eyes, crossing over to his side. I stare at the glittering blue that always manages to distract me, blinking annoyingly when it almost blinds me with its light.

He turns slightly, and I can now see his forehead and abnormally long eyelashes. Jealousy sears through me as I gaze at the portion of his face revealed. Isn't the girl supposed to be the pretty one?

On a whim, I reach towards him and punch the bundle as hard as I can. There are wretched moans as the man emerges like a butterfly from a cocoon, holding his arm in indignation.

"You could have just used a pillow," he scoffs, though still spellbound under sleep. He leans his back against the headboard, watching me. I feel almost uncomfortable under his endless, measuring stare.

"Time to get up," I state, shooting him a frightful glare when he makes no move.

"And why, exactly, is it time to get up?" he probes. I suddenly feel doubtful.

"Are we not going to school today?" I ask shakily.

He laughs heartily, sparking elation in even my heart. "No, Mona," he corrects dreamily, "today is Saturday."

I melt into a puddle on the hardwood floor.

"Are you serious?" I squeak, backing away from his form. He reaches out quickly to grab my arm, stopping me in my tracks.

"I'll forgive you," he says, his words slurred, "for a kiss." His strong hand forces me closer, elevating my heart rate until it’s about to burst.

"Xavier!" I exclaim. He still seems to be half-asleep, yet smiling all the while.

Fright mounts as he gives a final yank, my lips inches from his. I have to stop him, but how?

With no other alternative, I punch him in the chest as hard as I can, his grip temporarily loosening. Using that opening, I tug away, running into the hallway as fast as I can.

Touching my heart, I wish for it to slow down... so I can breathe.

It is all a mystery. Why is Xavier making my chest pound so hard? Even a glimpse or a simple touch is spiking my heart. But it isn't love, I'm sure.

It can't be.

I try to block these suspicious thoughts from my mind, taking off down the narrow hallway like a bullet. It seems to continue on endlessly, door after door appearing until my burst of speed sputters and dies. Now I am hot and sweaty for a different reason.

It must be that "fake" love that sparks between two mates. The savage desire coursing through my blood is rampant, affecting my thinking. I can't give in to it, for then I will find myself under Xavier's intoxicating spell. It is the first time in my life that I am actually afraid of... loving someone.

Well, these past few days have introduced many firsts, so I suppose I should get used to it.

I finally wind up in a dark room. I straggle along the walls, hoping to find a switch of some kind. After a little searching, I finally bump into a strange, inanimate object.

Light blinds me as it floods through the room, the lamp shining like the sun.

I take in the granite countertops, the stainless steel appliances, the gigantic refrigerator, and luxurious oven with awe. It is so big, almost as huge as their movie room, and spacious. I rush to a small door with anticipation, and fling it open to reveal a stockroom of every ingredient I could ever need or want. It is big also, with a cooled section dedicated especially to meat. I knew their kitchen would be magnificent, but this exceeds all expectations.

Wandering over to an open cookbook, I gaze onto the lists of delectable food choices. My stomach grumbles annoyingly, and I at once decide to indulge in this fantasy world and make breakfast.

"Hey Mona," Wes pops his head through the doorway, his golden hair shining in the light, "what are you doing?"

I pause at the refrigerator, turning my head at the sound of his voice. I smile a little, grabbing a few eggs and shutting the door afterwards. Wes weaves his way towards me, his movements fluid and smooth.

"Breakfast?" he asks in wonder, "you are actually making breakfast for us?"

"So what if I am?" I bend my head in embarrassment, knocking one egg against the bowl to crack it.

Wes ignores this remark, smiling at me brightly. He reminds me of Xavier in his puppy-like behavior, yet I have a feeling that Wes would treat anyone this way, while Xavier doesn't care about other girls. Is this difference caused by the mating?

"I'm making-" I start after guilty feelings enter at my cruelty, but he interrupts me eagerly.

"Don't tell me! I love both surprises and homemade breakfast," he smiles, his teeth glistening, "Xavier will especially love anything you make. By the way, when I passed his room all the way here, he was laughing hysterically. So I was wondering..."

Yolk explodes onto the bowl, shell dribbling in shards down the side.

"Mona?" Wes stares at my clenched fist in confusion.

My hand trembles as I turn away to the sink to wash off the slime now adorning my palm. The water burns as it slips down my fingers, some splashing upon my face. But no matter how hard I try, I cannot wash away the blush from my cheeks.

I turn back to Wes, smiling awkwardly. "I'm okay. It was an accident," I attempt to reassure him.

"Are you su-"

"Yes. I'm," I take the beater and punch the glob in the bowl, "Perfectly. Fine."

"No you aren't." His voice is firm and resolute.

Bitter words stay captive behind my lips, beating against its confinements. We both look at the crumbled shell mixed in with the yolk in silence, I desperately trying to hide the redness in my features.

"I'll just... come back later then," Wes bows slightly, and then exits the room, his footsteps pounding through the hallway.

I pick up the clear bowl, trumping over to the sink, and pour it down the drain, watching the egg disappear once and for all. Irritation grows within me, boiling inside my chest. Calming is impossible. He tricked me.

Xavier...

What am I going to do with you?

"Oh, you're back," I smile as Wes leads the way into the kitchen, followed by a slew of werewolves. Yi has the bed head, his ruffled black hair sticking straight up. His eyes are bloodshot, as if he just had a bad night's sleep.

"Are you better now?" Wes asks concernedly.

"Yes." I gesture to the dining room right next to the kitchen. "Just go sit in there and I will bring out the food soon."

"You're amazing, Mona," Wes laughs, coming close and wrapping an arm around my waist. I stiffen a little, amazed at the way it seems completely different when Xavier touches me. Xavier tends to send sparks of flame through my body, while Wes freezes me like an icicle. With another happy-go-lucky grin, he sneaks forward and kisses my cheek.

I smack him on the arm, slightly angered but still playful. "What are you thinking, trying to steal a kiss from me?" I ask in a teasing tone. But inwardly, I am wondering why, exactly, I feel nothing when Wes's truly delicious lips brush against my skin.

"It is like a greeting with Wes. He kisses everybody," Jake shrugs, "all his girls. I suggest you get used to it."

"And I suppose you do the same thing?" I raise one eyebrow.

"We all do," Ray says, and then turns to Jake. "You haven't told her about the club yet, have you?"

Jake shakes his head, "I thought we were going to have to quit because Xavier finally got mated. I was going to close it for this week."

"What club?" I ask, even more curious because Ray is talking.

"Um, well..." Jake starts, and then trails off.

"We'll tell you over breakfast," Wes finishes for him, "don't worry about it right now."

Yi just stares at his shoes, not talking. What's wrong with him? It is as if he is afraid to look at me.

Wes looks over his shoulder into the hallway, and his eyes widen. "Hurry guys, into the dining room," he pushes them out of the kitchen with great force. As he exits, he shoots me a wink.

I take the French toast I had prepared and laid two on each plate. After scattering powdered sugar on it, as well as adding a tiny bowl of syrup and butter, it soon looks professional. After a healthy dab of whipped cream and a small strawberry, they are meals fit for a king. My cooking skills really haven't deteriorated.

"That looks really good," a voice murmurs beside my ear. I smile slightly, not looking up, drunk in my own pleasurable thoughts.

"Thanks."

"Where did you learn to cook?"

"I used to help at the orphanage. The cook would always give me extra scraps if I washed the dishes, and eventually she let me cook most of the food for her while she was the one to get paid. But I didn't mind, because the cook was nice to me... and it was better than playing with the other kids." I stop in my tracks, staring at the granite sadly.

"What happened? Ms. Penn found out?"

"Of course," I laugh shakily, "Ms. Penn knows everything. At first she wanted me to continue cooking so she wouldn't have to pay the cook, but then, once she realized I was happy to do it, she fired the cook and hired another one. She banished me from the kitchen for just being happy."

"I'm sorry," the voice sparks electricity in my blood, arousing desire within me. Wait... it is as if I am waking from a dream, the fog lifted, and then I look up at his face.

"Xavier," I back away from the devilishly handsome figure.

"You didn't know it was me?" he asks innocently, "I made no attempt to disguise myself."

"That's not the point," I say, anger boiling in my blood, "you were completely awake the whole time, even when you tried to kiss me? You laughed at me?"

Xavier covers his mouth to stifle another chuckle. "Oh, I thought you were actually mad-"

"What do you mean, ‘actually mad’?!" I snap, feeling rather immature under Xavier's laughing gaze.

"I thought you were mad about something important," he clarifies laughingly. I punch him in the arm, and he staggers back a little. I start to see red, almost forgetting why I am mad at him.

"You're so mean, Xavier! Why would you laugh about one little mistake..." I punch him again, fury emanating from me.

"I laughed because of how cute you were," he smiles, stopping me in my tracks, "I just had to try and kiss you." My clenched fist hovers right beside his arm, all force evaporated.

"You get so angry and embarrassed over little things... I think it’s adorable," Xavier winks, whirling me towards him with his hand and plopping his lips on my cheek. Immediately passion and lust arise, flowing between us both. I look to the ground, breaking away from his grasp. My breathing is heavy, face flushed. How can his kisses affect me so much?

"Are you serious?" my voice is tiny, squeaky.

Xavier nods, reaching forward with one finger and tilting my face upwards. He laughs in amusement. "You're blushing," he observes, a smirk slowly creeping onto his features.

I yank his hand away, anger sparked once more. "I'm not!" I protest uselessly, picking up a few of the plates hurriedly.

"Whatever you say," he says, voice dripping with amused sarcasm. I have never heard him use sarcasm before.

He follows me into the dining room, where everyone is seated and perfectly still. I narrow my eyes at the mischievous werewolves, knowing exactly why they are so quiet. "You heard it all, didn't you?" I ask, expressionless.

All of them, excluding Ray and Yi, break out into a sly smile. "Having a lover's spat?" Jake teases, elbowing Xavier who just sat down next to him.

"Just shut up," I place one plate in front of Xavier, then hesitate before giving Jake his share, "or I won't give you breakfast."

"Okay, okay," Jake concedes defeat, though still grinning. I place the other plates in front of Ray and Wes, then retreat to grab Yi's.

Shouts immediately erupt from the dining room. "This is fantastic!"

"I love French toast!"

"I love you Mona!"

"That's my mate you're talking about..."

I inwardly laugh, entering the room once more with my plate and Yi's plate. Yi is staring at the table, almost completely lifeless. I put the plate in front of him, and then gently touch his shoulder. "Yi?" I ask.

He tilts his head sharply to meet my gaze, anger in his features. "Don't touch me," he snaps, jumping to his feet. Immediately he turns away from me, facing the others. "I'm going to eat in the courtyard today," he states robotically, then picks up his plate and brushes past me.

"What's with him?" I ask worriedly, sitting down in his old spot. They just shake their heads.

"He was staring at you as if he had seen a ghost yesterday..." Wes points out, "and has been sort of weird ever since."

I take the first bite of my home-made breakfast, reveling at the sweetness I am finally able to indulge in. No matter how annoying Xavier may be, I still feel lucky that things have turned out this way.

"Let's not talk about Yi," Wes dismisses after a long, awkward silence, "tell her about the club, Jake."

"Yeah," I agree, "what club?"

"We own a nightclub in the city called Moonlight. It is one of the most exclusive clubs you will find anywhere in the state," Jake says, "and it is also how we make our money."

"It is also where we get our woman of the week," Ray interrupts, smiling.

"Ray... just shut up," Xavier cuts in. Ray lazily ambles from the table to the door, exiting to go who-knows-where.

"I'm done," he throws over his shoulder, and I look at his perfectly clean plate. How can he eat so fast?

"Anyways," Jake continues, "we only open on Saturday nights, and charge an astronomical entrance fee. All the rich and famous locals go there."

"Woman of the week?" I probe, to Wes's obvious dismay.

"Don't think bad of me..." he stresses.

"We enter the nightclub every two weeks and… auction ourselves off, if that makes any sense," Jake tries to explain. My eyes widen.

"A bachelor auction!" I exclaim, "is it just you guys or do you auction off more men?"

"Nah, only werewolves will do," Wes laughs, "we don't need any more bachelors than the five, no, four ones right here."

"Women pay serious bucks for boyfriends," Jake says, "especially if they are wanted by their other rich friends."

So that's how they have so much money...

I stand up while I listen, taking their perfectly clean plates to the kitchen. "So the money's not for charity or something?" I call from the sink.

"We say it is," Xavier says.

"And, you know, we do give some of it away. Maybe half," Jake grins. I laugh, although still a little bewildered. "We auction off boyfriend for the week, which includes three dates, our phone number, three requests, and a bouquet of roses. We all sell for big cash, though Xavier is king," Jake adds rather enviously.

"How much?" I ask curiously. I can understand rich women paying a lot of money for these handsome flirts.

"Around ten thousand to twenty thousand," Jake laughs, "although one time Xavier did sell for fifty thousand. Two women were feeling rather competitive."

"Fifty thousand!" I couldn't imagine that number in my wildest daydreams. I haven't even seen a fifty dollar bill in years.

"You don't understand," Wes starts in, "to get us for one week is the ultimate trophy. Our women get supreme bragging rights for the entire time they have us. Our looks are above ordinary, especially Xavier's crazy hair, and we are famous among the Moonlight attendance. We are like what you would call 'trophy wives', but are temporary and also men, of course."

"The trophy men..." I snicker quietly.

"I don't know what we are going to do without Xavier... it'll be an outrage among the women," Jake shakes his head regretfully, "let's hope none of us get mated as well."

I scan the area for any hint of Ray, and then I lean in slowly. "Why do women even bid on Ray? He's practically a monster, and so rude too!" I whisper, my voice lingering on the wind before reaching their ears. Wes bursts out into laughter, Xavier soon joining in. Jake is the only one managing to stay calm, answering my question smoothly.

"You haven't seen him around the ladies... and he is practically a mirror image of Xavier, minus the hair and a few other details. Many women think of him as Xavier's slightly less desirable double."

"So he sells for a lot..."

"Well, pretty much. It usually goes in this order, from least amount of money to most; Yi, Me, Ray, Wes, and Xavier. We all sell really close together though, except for that one fifty thousand."

"Wow," I say, "this is amazing. Do you guys ever get attached to your women?"

"Never," Wes says darkly, serious for the first time ever, "it's not allowed."

"But I'm sure they get attached to you," I grin, crossing my arms, "maybe a few stalkers?" I pointedly stare at the blushing Xavier.

"That's the fun part," Wes smiles, "no one knows anything about us. They only know us by our first names. . In return for being their boyfriend for a week, we make them sign a contract of strict confidentiality. They are not allowed to ask us questions about our past, family, or even where we live. They are also required to only use our number during the week we are their boyfriends. After that week, if they use our number they will be fined $500 or more. For many, it is like a dream with a rough awakening at the end."

"Harsh," I shake slightly. They truly are the pack of players. Xavier looks at me, and I suddenly think of a question. "Are you going to still auction yourself off?" I ask him, trying to remain indifferent.

Xavier smiles. "Of course not, Mona. I'm all yours."

I look away to hide my growing blush. Why is it that I always get red around him?

"You should have met Xavier before he got mated to you," Wes laughs, "he was a bigger player than I am now." I find that rather hard to imagine. Xavier... a player? Never.

"Twenty thousand dollars less every week," Jake almost moans, "it's very sad."

"Don't worry buddy," Wes pats him on the back, "I'll be your moneymaker from now on. Xavier, we got to find another job for you."

"Why wouldn't women want him?" I interrupt.

There is silence, then uncontrollable laughter. "I don't think you understand, Mona," Wes gasps, sputtering with chuckles, "they do want him. But wouldn't that be unfair to you if he becomes some other girl's boyfriend?"

"Hey Xavier," Jake smiles, "you should be partying right now. Mona just indirectly admitted she was attracted to you."

"Shut up!" I say angrily, and they eventually quiet down. Silence reigns in the room, each of us unsure of what to say. It seems to suit them; this glamorous lifestyle they hold. Their looks guarantee nothing less.

"Where is the person you guys almost killed?" I suddenly start up, remembering past events.

"In the guest bedroom," Wes says dismissively. I look at him in bafflement, and he laughs. "It's not like we have a dungeon to throw him in," he points out.

"I don't understand why you didn't just let us kill him-" Jake begins.

"No!" I stand up, banging my hands on the table, "I think I can force the shifter out of him."

They all stare at me, Xavier becoming rather distressed. "No, Mona, please," he starts, and then stops abruptly.

"I could access his mind, and I was able to hear the two voices. If I can somehow... further this ability, then I know I can save him!" I say determinedly, "then you will never have to kill another human again!"

"You can't think of them as humans, Mona," Jake sighs, "once they're possessed, their soul is as good as gone. We aren't murderers."

"But he was there!" I exclaim, and then my hand is fiercely grabbed by Xavier.

"We need to continue this conversation elsewhere," he whispers into my ear, standing up.

"Let go!" I struggle as he forces me out of the room. I am whisked away, super speed taking over, air rushing past me like a tornado.

We end up back in the garden, Xavier standing right in front of me, still holding my hands. Skies as clear as can be hang above us, a slew of colors in the flowers below. Everything is so beautiful, although now a piece of yellow tape stretches from tree to tree of the entrance to the path I had traveled before. It says DANGER.

Wow. They must really think I'm stupid.

"Please, Mona, forget about the man," he begs, "we'll take care of him. Worry about... I don't know... just don't worry about anything. You don't have to get into this."

"But I do! I can't just let you guys kill him while knowing I can save his life-"

"How, exactly?" Xavier says slowly, "How can you save his life?"

Time stops as I look to the floor, examining my shoes. "I don't know much about being a Spier, but from what I heard, it seems as if I could really help you guys-"

"No!" he says agitatedly, "you're helping us just fine by being right here."

"But even if I wasn't able to help you, rescuing that man... wouldn't that be worth the risk?" In my head, it is perfectly simple. I can't live with the fact that I could have saved a person and didn’t. Why can't he get it?

"Nothing is worth you," he says with pain, squeezing my hands tightly.

"Xavier..." I sigh, "Please understand."

"I understand perfectly," he says angrily, his voice dangerously low, "and I'm not letting you blow your life away for a lost cause."

"You don't believe I can do it?" my voice is sharp, shrill.

He pauses, drawing a little picture in the dirt with his foot. "Mona, it's not like I think you can't, but it does seem rather-"

"I get it, Xavier. You don't want me to do it. You don't believe I can," my voice is low, defeated. I start walking towards the door, desperately trying to veil the determination bursting within.

"No, it's not that! It's just that there is a big chance you will die," he yells after me, "I... don't want that. Please, Mona..."

I reach the wooden door, turning the knob to swing it open. Without casting one glance behind my shoulder, I slip inside, closing it after me. It feels, strangely, as if I have shut him out forever.

I quickly banish that thought. Xavier will always be around for me, no matter what the situation is.

I hope.

Wandering through the hallways, I suddenly discover the faint outline of a man lingering against the stone wall. He turns, as if he is waiting for someone, slumping until he is sitting on the floor. There are a few moments of complete and utter stillness, and then he regally rises to his feet. The lights suddenly give out, dying against the overwhelming darkness, as he flicks a switch. He pauses, and then starts walking. Not knowing quite why, I follow him, almost hypnotized by the footsteps as they ring through my head.

At the end of the hallways, a faint light lingers, growing brighter with each fear-stuffed step. My heart seems to pound even more erratically as we walk, my steps mirroring his. As the light shines brighter on the man, the outline begins to be illuminated, and I know instantly who it is. He enters the room, deliberately leaving the door wide open, and I step inside.

"Ray," I say softly as the man stands before me.

"This is the library. Sorry about the lights, by the way, I was afraid one of those idiots would follow us," Ray wastes no time, getting directly to the point. He gestures to the piles and piles of books, stacking from the floor to the ceiling, the rows and rows of even more. It is a huge room, the books on either side, lounge chairs and a spectacular fireplace in the middle. Over our heads a truly stunning chandelier hangs, colossal with a ton of sparkling crystals, and a giant TV is mounted directly above the fireplace. It is on, the display of a computer showing up instead of TV shows. "That's our computer," he explains, "We just use a TV monitor."

"Wow," I gasp, awestruck, "this is absolutely amazing!" It is another dream of mine; a fantasy I never thought would be accomplished. It is the biggest collection of books I have ever seen. With joy I rush to the first aisle, marveling at their assembling of many encyclopedias, the informative books I have missed so much.

Back when I was a child, Dad used to have the most stunning library in the whole city. It wasn't nearly as big as this one is, but was stacked with an incredible amount of books. When I had turned five, I vowed to Dad that I would read every single book in his library. But of course... my promise couldn't be kept.

"We have the prophecy here," a beautiful voice murmurs near my ear, and I straighten slightly.

"Where is it?" I question.

"Right this way," he leads me into the aisles, skimming over each book like a searchlight. It is endless, the rows of books, my feet growing tired as our trek continues. They don't have the prophecy in a better place other than these aisles? From what I have heard, they seem to esteem it very highly.

When he finally stops, I pause too over a particularly thick book labeled Werewolves, Spiers, and Shifters: Complete Edition. On the front is a picture of a menacing werewolf poised over devouring a human and a human battling a truly horrible looking Shifter with a strange looking spear. I slip it from the rest, hiding it behind me.

"It's okay, we don't mind if you read it," he says, expressionless, without looking up from his task. He seems to be examining the spines of each book, looking for a certain title that belongs to the book he needs. I cross over to his side, noting now the true similarities between Ray and Xavier; their nearly identical looks except for the scar and the hair. All this time he hasn't acted like a sourpuss, which is a plus, and also a side of him that is pleasantly new to me.

He smiles as he extracts the book we need, a dusty one that isn't thick at all. The side reads Summer Kitchen: 100 Delicious Recipes and the cover is completely blank. I narrow my eyes at the slim cookbook, wondering if this is a joke.

"Trying to find some recipes?" I ask, crossing my arms. We aren't getting any closer to finding the prophecy this way, and although it looks useful, it isn't anything like what we really need.

His grin grows wider as he rubs his hand on the spine once, twice...

"What are you doing?" I ask, my anticipation subconsciously spiking as he does it again and again. He doesn't answer me, taking his strong hands and rubbing it endlessly. After I know he isn't going to answer me, I quiet down and just watch the slow, rhythmic movement, hoping for the best.

When he reaches the twentieth rub, he suddenly stops, and without looking at it, hands it to me. I take it, raising it to my gaze, and gasp as the spine now reads The Prophecy and the cover is adorned with a single green emerald.

Spellbound, I open to the first page, but it is empty. The second page is blank too, and as I leaf through the rest of the book, I find it is blank as well. I look to Ray, who smiles knowingly.

"Look closely," he commands, his words strong as steel. I oblige him, glancing at the first page deeply. To my surprise, when I stare at it hard enough, words begin to appear, as if writing itself on the page.

"There will come a person equal to a werewolf and a Spier, who also possesses an ability like no other, leading a complete pack, bound together by loyalty and friendship. They will defeat the red-eyed wolf, not without losing one of their own on the journey, and another will come to take his place. Through discord and strife they will travel, friendships and relationships forgotten, but they will succeed, destroying the red stone and vanquishing Shifters once and for all. Then the werewolves will vanish into the mist, their purpose served, for one cannot exist without the other."

"Is that all?" I ask, staring at the paragraph of craziness with disappointment, "I was hoping it would talk about a Spier being able to heal the people possessed by Shifters."

"This is the reason why we exist," Ray says softly, "we live for a purpose, and once that is completed, we die... and all you're saying is is that all? Seriously, Mona."

"I'm sorry Ray... I'm just a little disappointed that my question wasn't answered," I stare at the paragraph over and over, hoping for anything, but nothing is found. This has absolutely nothing to do with me.

"You know..." Ray lingers over my shoulder, and I get a whiff of his sweet-smelling cologne. "There have been very few cases of Spiers getting that ability. However, they profess it to be a very limited power, only able to use maybe once in a hundred years. I guess that time means nothing to them though, being immortal," he notes slyly.

"Immortal?!" I exclaim.

"If you survive, of course," he says darkly. We pause, suspended in silence. Being immortal... would that be a good thing? "You would be able to live with Xavier forever as a human instead of being converted to a werewolf," he adds softly, "which means that you can have children. Crossbreeds, of course, but still..."

"Children? Oh no, we won't..."

"That's what you think," he smiles evilly, plopping down in one of the chairs. I carry the book with me, sitting in the one opposite him.

"Why can't two werewolves have children?" I wonder.

"Because our population would grow too large, obviously. We are all immortal, so every conversion must be approved by the council. Crossbreeds, however, are more loosely monitored because they are not immortal, with an average lifespan of around two hundred years," he lazily kicks his feet onto the coffee table.

"Why did you show me the prophecy?" I finally ask, looking clearly into his eyes, "why are you telling me all this?" Xavier would never tell me what he is saying now.

"Because you asked," he smiles, "and even though curiosity kills the cat, it is better to let the cat know instead of keeping it wondering forever."

We sit in silence, I watching the huge computer screen, Ray absorbed in reading.

"I want to become one," I finally think aloud, Ray's head snapping up from the magazine, "a Spier... but Xavier doesn't want me to."

"It's not exactly Xavier's choice, don't you think?" he scoffs, looking at the chandelier above us. A pause ensues, tension stretched between us, and then he speaks again. "We can do it tonight. Xavier and the others are going to be at Moonlight, and the full moon is coming out today."

"You sure got it planned out, don't you?" I narrow my eyes, and he grins.

"I knew, from the moment I set eyes on you, that you would want to help," he shrugs, "and I prepared accordingly."

I think about the pitiful boy locked up in the bedroom right now, his soul swallowed by the Shifter. My father, how he looked before he drove us to death. The men on the mural, with eyes like fire. I can't just stay here and pretend like I can't do anything. I have to at least try.

And if I die trying, so be it. I don't have too much to live for anyway.

"I will," my voice, barely above a whisper, emits. Ray grins, and stretches out one handsome hand. I feel, suddenly, as if I am making a pact with the devil.

A thunderclap rings through the air as my hand grasps his, rain slipping down the windows, then falling to its death.

admin
Site Admin

Re: A Howl In The Night - Betrayal ~ Xavier ~

Unread post by admin » 09 Jan 2016 11:04

Betrayal

~ Xavier ~

"You really think I should?" I ask, peering into Jake's deadly serious eyes.

"Well, we don't want your fans to boycott the club just because you aren't there anymore," he replies plainly, "this way, you can deal with them yourself."

"Fine," I huff, "but you better not auction me off in secret while I'm there. I know you... you'll do anything for a bit of extra cash." Jake is our moneyman, business-like with a wild side. I have absolutely no idea why the girls like him. Obviously they can tell that the green wads of paper in their hands appeal more to him than they do.

"Don't worry, I'm not inhuman enough to do that... but that's a great thought though. Imagine! We'd make 100,000 bucks off you for your last auction. They'd all be bidding like crazy," Jake dreamily says, brushing a hand through his short, crystal white hair.

Without another word, I storm out of the kitchen, wanting to avoid one of Jake's devious schemes. It's not like I could pull another "boyfriend of the week" package anyway. Everything has changed since I met Mona.

I can barely remember the Xavier from a couple days ago who could enchant any girl at all, all the while thinking that it was just a game. I was a true player then, toying with people's feelings, making them believe I cared. My behavior was a lot lazier, my existence almost meaningless. I was a lot meaner too, cutting off all contact with my bewitched clients when I gained another one.

How can mating change me so much?

Even if I want to morph back into my old self, the part of me that wouldn't give Mona a second glance, I can't. Every touch that she gives sets my heart on fire, making my skin tingle. I can almost feel her emotions, like a throb in my chest. Every part of me longs to be by her side, to smell that truly intoxicating fragrance that has been there since the beginning.

Even the others have admitted her smell is above ordinary, although I'm sure it is heightened around me. With this added enchantment, Mona is so irresistible that her looks aren't necessary. Just one word, one step closer so her smell is magnified, attracts me greatly. Her appearance doesn't matter now, so unlike the hundreds I have dated in my lifespan.

Not that her appearance is as horrible as she thinks it is. What really makes her seem so ugly is when she is sucked of self-confidence, convinced she is hideous. But if she straightens her back, tilts up her head, wears a little bit more fashionable clothing and smiles, then she isn't ugly at all. Maybe that's just a lovesick guy's opinion, but to me, it's absolutely true.

I walk down the hallway, passing by Mona's room and almost stopping. Mona doesn't even seem grateful that I am being patient for her. She can tell I'm her true mate for life, and I know she is attracted to me. How couldn't she? The mating practically forces you to fall under the other's spell, Mona fighting valiantly but failing. I can see it in her eyes, the way she wants me. So why is she objecting every step of the way? Am I really that bad?

I suppose I am so detestable that she cannot allow me even a single kiss. Mona can really bring down a guy's ego.

I slip into my room, walking to the closet and swinging it open. A plethora of stylish suits all hang, available whenever I want to be fancy. The girls like it better if I wear a suit, and it will be best to wear one anyway when we go. Unless they suddenly decide to throw eggs at me or something. I don't know if something like that could ever get out.

Picking a dark gray one that accentuates the color of my hair and eyes, I tug it over my skin. It takes less than a minute to put on with my speed, my hands blurring.

A stupid idea comes to mind, and I walk to the door connecting my room and Mona's. "Hey Mona?" I call, "you okay?"

There is a silence, a long one that stretches seemingly forever. "I'm... fine," a whisper barely louder than a sharp intake of breath emits.

"Will you come with us to Moonlight?" I invite, imagining the scenario. They would throw everything they got at Mona, shifting their hate from me to her. Especially since her appearance is lacking a little. However, I really want her by my side, to be close to the sweet smell that attacks my senses.

"I think I'll pass," her shaky voice replies, and I go sit on my bed. I slide my feet on it, my head on the pillow, and stare at the ceiling. The slow ticks of the clock as the second hand moves ring through my head, a beat I can't get out of my mind.

"Xavier!" Wes calls, "it's time to go already!" I shoot out of bed, slinging the door open. Suddenly wary, I troop back in, checking my hair in the mirror. A stray piece is sticking up, my hairbrush quickly attacking it. Now it is perfect.

Being flawless is essential when I am going to a place like this.

Wes, Jake, and a very depressed-looking Yi stand by our Mercedes, waiting anxiously for me. "Where's Ray?" I wonder aloud. It's not an auction week, so Ray is not required to come, but he usually goes anyways. He seems to enjoy time at the club, turning into a devastatingly handsome devil whenever he walks through those glass doors. We all do, for we know the more flirtatious we seem, the more bucks those ladies will cough up.

"He's in his room," Jake lazily answers, "probably obsessing over the stock market again." Ray is a huge stock market guy. He is a master of figuring out which will skyrocket and which will plummet.

"Mona doesn't want to go?" Wes questions innocently.

"No, she wants to go get pelted by wine glasses and whatever else they can get their hands on," I reply sarcastically. Of course she would not want to go. She's not exactly a social butterfly. I was just stupid enough to ask her.

All four of us shuffle inside the luxurious and incredibly spacious Mercedes, Jake in the front seat with Wes beside him, then Yi and I in the back. I, at times like this, always feel like a celebrity, knowing that we are going to a place where people think us to be famous. I am so used to anonymity throughout the week, except on our dates, that it always feels like a splash of frighteningly cold water when we take the first steps out of our Mercedes into a sea of wealthy fans.

The car gives a low, healthy growl, and then starts the smooth ride over to the club. For some reason, I have a feeling that I am like a pig being led to the slaughter. I probably won't get out of the club tonight without a few scrapes, bruises, and red tomato splotches. If someone's feeling particularly spiteful, I imagine they might pour their highly expensive drink on my head.

I'm looking forward to ending my highly successful career, though. Repeat customers, Meryl especially, have been kind of... possessive, lately. I have tried explaining to them that "Boyfriend of the Week" does not mean "Boyfriend of the Month" for a select few, but the meaning doesn't exactly get across to them. They almost enjoy calling me and paying the $500 fine.

I lean my head against the tinted windows, looking into the baby blue skies. Clouds that are a deep, devastating gray are spotted across the horizon, symbolizing the dawning of a horrific thunderstorm. I have always thought of clouds as a bruise, marring the otherwise perfect sky.

The sun is setting, rays of orange and red starting to shoot through the air. With the way this car is moving, it will be nightfall before we reach the club. I hate traveling by car; wolf form is so much easier. However, it burns so many calories, and we don't have any meat to eat when we get there... making us want to take a delicious human snack to ease our hunger. Which is definitely not good, especially with rich, snotty, and especially beautiful women practically throwing themselves at us.

Yes, traveling by car is certainly safer, but painful all the same.

Mona's smell is dangerously small, the weakest it has been in days. I find myself sniffing for it, trying to search for the quickly-vanishing scent that enchants me so deeply. Maybe it wasn't a good idea to leave her. I should have dragged her with us, forcing her to at least sit in the car. I don't like leaving Mona with Ray also... even though he's probably not going to do anything, anyways. Ray can be a hermit sometimes, staying in his room for hours doing who-knows-what.

The lush landscape around us, filled with tall trees, prickly bushes, and many colorful flowers, fades into a concrete road, trimmed grass, and stubby buildings as we reach the edge of our territory. We own practically the entire forest, earning both privacy and a great place to hunt. Rumors swirl around the surrounding area, some of which we start ourselves, scaring most people into fearing the forest more than death itself. We're lucky Mona never heard those rumors, for then we would have a lot of explaining to do.

The huge city looms before us after we reach the edges of the suburbs and inch along the interstate. Cars multiply, many old and beaten, trudging home from work. Suddenly, the T-word begins to develop. The word I hate more than anything.

Traffic.

Bumper to bumper, never ending torture erupts in the blink of an eye, the overcrowded roads stretching endlessly. Our destination seems to grow farther and farther away as we sit, unmoving.

Ages seem to pass as Jake slowly maneuvers us through the throng of cars and trucks. Why does everyone have to use this road?! Why can't we just use our wolf form?

Once again, I must say that I hate cars. Mona's frightful story from a few days ago only reiterates this point.

Exactly as I predicted, the sky is a majestic, sapphire blue that is quickly morphing into a deep black by the time we reach the towering building, climbing almost fifteen stories in height. At the top is the famed Moonlight nightclub, where you get a perfect view of the beautiful moon every Saturday.

We slide out of the car with grace, our movements fluid and enchanting, and the valet driver takes our car to the parking lot. It is time for us to bring the life to the party.

The only thing is that right now, I feel dead. Without Mona's aroma and my usual confidence, everything seems dark.

And Ray... I don't even know what to think about him.

I wave away all doubt as I reach the fifteenth floor from the stairway, trying to focus at the matter at hand. The feisty wolves are right beyond the glass doors already, waiting for me. Jake shoots me a sympathetic look as I reach forward to grasp the handle.

"You're dead," are the last words I hear before doom strikes.

A plethora of lovely ladies crowd around me instantly, something I have grown to handle. Many new faces are around, made-up into oblivion. I instantly smile, trying desperately to veil the sudden discomfort underneath. I used to be right at home under these admiring gazes, but now they scare me as if I am a deer caught in the headlights.

A red-sequined dress clinging to a truly magnificent body slides my way, home to a nasty minx with deep chocolate eyes and voluptuous, plump red lips. "I've been waiting for you," she says coaxingly, parting the women like they were the Red Sea, and then pulling me into a heartfelt embrace.

"I told you not to hug me when I'm not yours! You know the rules," I tell Meryl angrily, and she laughs.

"But Xavier... when I see you surrounded by those truly pitiful girls, I just have to save you," she purrs like a kitten, pulling at my arm. I frown. "Is tonight auction night? For I am going to make you mine again," she adds.

"About that..." I trail off as she tugs ferociously on my hand, pulling me into the shadows. Her body is pressed against mine as we are suddenly in a corner, annoying me more than alluring me like she hoped.

"How 'bout I buy you for life?" she offers a simpering grin, "I could offer a couple million."

"You ask me that every time I come to Moonlight," I complain. She stares at me intently, as if she is seeing me in a whole different light.

"Are you okay, Xavier?" she asks worriedly, putting a soft hand to my forehead. "You just seem... different. More tired than usual."

"Actually, I am tired," I admit, surprised that Meryl can be so perceptive. "I have an announcement to make." I shrug away from her, heading back to my rich, adoring fans with increasing terror. Doom is upon me.

"Everybody, gather round!" I quickly call, causing the crowd to thicken. Meryl forces herself to the front, watching me suspiciously. Wes gives me a thumbs up as I speak. "I am retiring from the bachelor auctions today," I emit the dreaded words, causing anger to ripple within the group. Shouts erupt through the room, every person staring at me with sad, and somewhat furious eyes. Meryl is starting to cry, tears flooding like crystals down her porcelain cheeks.

"Why, Xavier?" she asks, flinging herself onto me. With carefully hidden disgust, I pluck her off of me and put her back with the rest of them.

"Because..." I look to the sky, tinted with dark purple hues. There, hidden in the shadows of the night, is a perfect full moon, shining like the sun. It is so beautiful, making me try to remember the last time we had such a spectacular moon. Why would Ray want to miss out on a wonderful night like this?

Suddenly, the pieces come together in my head, making a whole. Fear fills my thoughts, blocking all else.

Tonight is the perfect night for an Awakening.

Everything is forgotten as I scrunch my nose slightly, wanting the slightest bit of a scent. Just to let me know how she is doing.

"Xavier?" the clamoring of voices, seemingly faraway even though they are truly very close, reaches my ear. I ignore them completely; finally snatching the bit of fragrance I have desired so.

Tinged with fear and distraught, the one scent eliminates my doubts once and for all. Mona has disobeyed me. Ray has betrayed me. She has, or will be Awakened.

Anger pollutes my blood, fury in my features. "I have to go," I nearly snarl, trying to race away from them before I morph. Wes and Yi see the beast in my eyes with fright, trying to hold the girls back. However, one girl breaks from the crowd, running in her red sequins over to me as I push the elevator button. I tap my shoe impatiently. Elevators are another thing I hate.

"Xavier?!" Meryl calls, clinging to me like glue. I impatiently try to push her away.

"Not now, Meryl." I can't hold back much longer. The anger is changing me, working through my system, eliminating all.

"Tell me what's going on," she demands, staring at me angrily.

"You want to know?" I ask sarcastically, completely lost now to the devil boiling inside. "Fine then."

Knowing how crazy I am, I morph into a werewolf directly in front of her, knowing exactly what is going to happen next.

There is a blood curdling scream as I race into the stairwell. Elevators are crap. They never get you where you want to be on time.

I zoom, my figure a blur, down the stairs, out the door, and into the street. My legs are pounding so hard that I can barely breathe. It is only a matter of seconds before I'm out of the city, and into our territory. I am traveling unbelievably fast, faster than I ever thought I could run.

Just a few more seconds, the scent growing irresistibly stronger and repugnant from the terror, and I am in the bushes right before a small hill. Two figures are standing at the top, one short, and the other majestically tall. The moon is huge behind them, clear as can be, casting pure white light upon them.

"What I just gave you was an injection of Spier blood," Ray informs the short girl as she stands awkwardly beside him. Traces of red in her hair can be plainly seen, her frown faintly evident.

"Ray, I don't feel so good," her relaxing voice, tinged with pain and anguish, speaks as she falls onto the ground. Ray immediately bends to be by her side, concern in his movements.

"There will be two hours of this, and then it will be all better. Don't worry, I'm here for you," he practically begs, taking her hand and holding it close. I feel a spike of jealousy at the way he is pulling it so near to his heart.

When the first scream rips through the night, Mona writhing on the green grass, I jump up from my hiding place, anger forgotten. "Mona!" I yell, racing over to her. I almost trip over the rocks and stones, introducing a quality most unlike me. I am never clumsy.

Ray stares at me, horrified, as I check her pulse. She is screaming almost constantly now, bent in horrific pain. "Is this normal, Ray?!" I demand, my voice uncannily high. All my anger begins to focus on the man that coerced her into agreeing to do this.

She stops yelling as quickly as she started, now convulsing as if she is having a seizure. Her face betrays pain, tears running down her face in rivers. My tears soon join hers, making a puddle in the ground.

"We will know soon," Ray speaks finally, and I look up as if noticing him for the first time. Pure hate is in my features, and combined with a deadly inward beast to match. He is a walking corpse.

I pull back my fist and punch him in the stomach with a mild version of my Earthquake Punch, causing him to stagger back. Soon he will probably be coughing up blood... one of the aftereffects of my hate-filled hits.

"I hate you!" I say angrily, tears flowing profusely. I feel like a mess. Everything is falling apart. I know her movements are normal for a Seer being converted, but I am still afraid. She can still die.

I stagger back by her side as another scream rips through the air, wanting desperately to snatch her into my arms. Whispers of agony are in the air, enough so I can sense it, just beyond my abilities to change the hurt. The tears are coating her face now like a mask, running down her neck, her cheeks soaked.

I wrinkle my nose as her smell turns black, repelling even. Ray staggers back a little also, noticing the skunk-like stench she now carries.

Suddenly, her eyes glaze over, and she is completely still. My blood runs cold.

"You know you have killed her," I look steely into his large green eyes, "she's going to be gone forever." I turn away and hold my head close to her heart. Only the faintest whisper of a heartbeat remains.

The soft forest air turns cold, causing goose bumps to rise on my skin. What can I do? I have never felt so helpless.

My mate soon will be dead.

I could tell from the minute that I met Mona that she was special, so the reality of her imminent death hits me a lot harder than it originally would. She had a past with Shifters. Although she tried to hide it, she also possessed a caring heart and desired to help others however she could. In a small corner of my mind, I thought Mona would never fail. That there was no chance of her dying through an Awakening. I'm sure Ray believed this about her as well.

And here she is, before me, taking her last breaths.

I know it is truly too late for anything now, but I cannot help myself from trying to think of a way to save her. I try to think of any healing properties, such as plants or medicine, that we possessed at the mansion.

"Is there anything we can do?" I ask Ray desperately. I grab Mona's hand as I ask him, and alarm enters me when I realize her fingers are as cold as ice. It feels as if I am touching a corpse.

"We can wait." Ray looks away, obviously torn by the sight before him and the possibility of having Mona arise as a Spier, no matter how little the chances.

"Don't lie to me, Ray. Her Awakening is failing! It is obvious to us both."

"It's not over yet," he protests shakily. It is easy to tell that he is starting to think otherwise.

"I'm not kidding Ray. Tell me what I can do. We need to save her." My voice turns deadly, and Ray grows pale. A few minutes pass, filled with silence and anxiety.

"Xavier, I'm so... I'm so sorry."

True despair takes over, leaving nothing to tame my insanity.

I must do something. I have to do something... it can't end like this.

I take my pocket knife and slice my finger slightly. I can't bring myself to cut her, so I just hold it over her mouth, which is slightly open. When the first drop of my blood touches her lips, she shivers, almost gagging.

Ray just stares at her and then me, dumbfounded. "You idiot!" He bitingly whispers, his words like poison.

"Is she going to live, Ray?" I ask bitterly, "have you ever heard of something like this before?"

I can't think. I can't breathe. I can't live without her. Somehow, I must keep her with me.

His words rip through the silence, condemning her. "Never."

It is only my tears now, racing down my skin like liquid fire, burning where it touches. Mona is still unmoving, her eyes closed. Her skin is like an assortment of bruises, fading in and out. Her hair is thickening, growing straighter past her back at an alarming speed. Somehow, she is growing taller, her legs lengthening. Why is this happening? Werewolf blood is what enhances the person's looks, not the Spier blood.

Does this mean that this crazy scheme is working?

We watch her in silence as she starts mild convulsions again, all the while her appearance changing rapidly. How can she have both symptoms? She can't convert into both a werewolf and a Spier. That will surely destroy her.

I lean back in the grass next to her, touching her fingers. Mona's fingernails are sprouting from short stubs into a perfect size, and then stopping abruptly. I haven't cut my fingernails in thirty-seven years.

I can't bear much more of this. It is eating at me, tearing me apart. The ground is wet behind my head… not that I care. It is probably just my tears, dancing across my face like an unnecessary amount of sweat. Ray just stands there, frozen. He is clueless, I can tell. No words amount to how angry I am at him.

I am reduced to nothing because of her, and indirectly, Ray himself.

She is finally still, after about twenty more agonizing minutes of these convulsions and morphing. Her chest is moving, breathing. It is a little bit different from the first time, for this time she is only sleeping. It is a wonder she has made it this far. My mate is strong.

I wait endlessly for anything from her... for a response, a touch, or even a glance.

Still there is nothing.

It has been around an hour and a half of pure and utter torture for us both, and the clock ticks towards the eventual two. It might take longer because of the effect of the werewolf blood. I don't know anything, and that is what's killing me.

The minutes tick by as I bend my head into the grass, utterly defeated. I was stupid to think I could change anything with a few drops of werewolf blood. The result... is still unknown, and leaning precariously towards the outcome I desperately do not want. I probably guaranteed her death, adding some blood like that... why am I so stupid? Why couldn't these doubts have occurred BEFORE I applied the blood?

"Xavier," Ray’s voice, soft and smooth, lingers over me. I barely notice as a soft, delicate hand deposits itself on my head, smoothing my azure hair.

And then suddenly I realize whose hand that actually is.

I lift my head, catching Mona's hand as it falls towards the ground. Squeezing it tightly, I use my hearing to listen to her heartbeats, starting back weakly, and then turning stronger with surprising force. Her eyes are still unopened, but a little smile is on the corner of her mouth. It is then that I give myself away to peace and the assurance she is so graciously giving me. Everything will be just fine.

No matter what happens, Mona will be with me.

admin
Site Admin

Re: A Howl In The Night - Death Just Seems To Love Me ~ Mo

Unread post by admin » 09 Jan 2016 11:24

Death Just Seems To Love Me

~ Mona ~

Scalding hot, unfamiliar blood is racing through my veins.

This is not the first time I have wished for death, but this time, the desire is much, much stronger. Every breath I take allows icy cold air to enter my lungs, freezing my insides and battling the heat that is enveloping me. I experience the extreme burning, then the excruciating cold. I am bathed in excruciating agony, every second pure torture.

Thinking is impossible, hurt being the only emotion consuming my mind.

My tears are like little ice pellets, dripping down my cheeks as I writhe about. Once again, an all-too-familiar sense of doom impends upon me, entering through the fire and ice. I am a lost cause. Death is here waiting once again. Why does he seem to want me so badly?

Then, a splash of a soothing substance hits my tongue, slipping down my throat like melted chocolate. All tranquility it brings vanquishes, exploding in my stomach like fireworks, only accenting my suffering. What sort of medicine is this? It only makes things worse.

Just let it take me.

Let me succumb to the darkness.

But a warm, deliciously strong body refuses to release its hold on my skin, two strong hands latching onto my consciousness like suction cups. I desperately try to sink into the dark depths, temporarily forgetting everything. What do I really have to return to? Not true love, a family, or even friendship. An infatuated werewolf doesn't count, by the way, although a sharp feeling stabs my stomach at the thought.

Do I really want to leave him? Is deserting him what I really want?

The forbidden question is now entertained by my delirious mind, and I am unable to avoid it. Do I love him?

My heart pumping, I begin to regain my vigor after only thinking about him. His perfect, statuesque face dances in my memory, his sparkling emerald eyes peering in my thoughts. Everything about him ripples with strength and masculinity. A blush almost forces itself to my cheeks when I realize I am relishing the image.

I quickly stuff my attraction and desire back into the corner of my mind, avoiding the disarming question at hand. I have only been with Xavier for a couple of days, yet he is affecting me so much... but it must be the effect of mating. I can't be in love, when only a short time before I had never even talked to a guy. Even though he is so enchantingly handsome, distracting me even in this state, I couldn't have let myself fade away to this alien emotion. I couldn't have already given in, after barely waging a fight.

For some strange reason, I feel myself begin to lighten. The heat and heart-wrenching cold recedes, and an almost pleasurable experience snakes into my chest. My limbs feel weak and elastic-like, almost like they have just been stretched, my face likewise. It is like the relief you experience after a workout, weariness coupled with a raw satisfaction. The hands wrapped around me release, and I can feel a gaze searing my skin. Worry is emanating off the person, surrounding me like a blanket. At least somebody cares about me.

Not quite thinking straight, my hand reaches up to calm the creature, man or beast, to lift the burden they are carrying. As I touch a head of hair, my hand nearly shrieks in delight at the pure luxury I am fingering. It is the smoothest hair I have ever felt, long and slightly wispy. Instantly, I realize who this person has to be.

Maybe it won't be so bad to live a little bit longer. I hate to admit it, but he has already morphed into someone I will want live for.

I wake to the sweet sound of birds chirping in the breeze.

My eyes slowly adjust to the blinding light streaming through the window, my breathing deep and relaxed. Consciousness returns to me, and with it, remembrance. Last night, I almost died. Maybe I'm actually dead now, and don't realize it.

Is this heaven?

I shrug off the velvety covers, slipping my feet from the mattress to the cold, hard floor. My surroundings are exactly like the room the pack had given me, with a beautiful view of the forestry and wildlife. Maybe I am a ghost, forbidden to enter the afterlife because I attempted to gain immortality.

Padding to the doorway, I gaze at the hallway, a mirror image of the one at the place I am hesitant to call "home". Haziness fills my vision, and I stumble along the walls in a random direction. I needed to find somebody. Anybody.

To tell me where the crap I am.

Unintelligible whispers are floating about, voices pounding. My head is reeling with strange sounds and thoughts, screams and laughter. My feet, however, continue on its unknown path, curiosity in each step. For some reason, I feel very different, and as I look down at my feet, questions fill me. Why are they so far away? Why are they a little bit bigger than I remembered?

Walking nearer to my random destination, I begin to hear low murmurs, the same voices inside my head growing stronger. Once I focus, I can begin to detect words, a conversation flowing.

But most of all is the smells.

I can smell the dust, the air, and the ghastly smell of my clothes with sharpness and clarity. But even stronger is the aroma of three mysterious objects, each more breathtaking than the last. One is like peppermint and the other like a delicious, ripe banana. But the last is the one that is most wonderful; a strange combination of flavors I can't distinguish, yet intoxicating all the same. In an instant, I feel a strange bond to this smell, making it unlike the others. In a hurry, my feet begin to run with excitement, fleeing towards the source.

Everything begins to savagely envelop my senses, a barrage of sound, smell, and breathtakingly rich sight. The light blinds me as I almost gallop into the sunlight, entering the garden. Red, blue and yellow mix to create a spectrum of colors, shown on the brilliant flowers. I barely realize that this is the garden.

Three figures are sitting in the warm grass, gazing into the baby blue sky.

I walk up to the last figure, smiling warmly. I never thought I could feel this happy before. "Xavier," I emit, my voice barely above a whisper. Strangely, it is as if I am singing, my words having a musical quality I used to envy in Xavier's voice.

The magnificent man turns to me, his face devoid of emotion except for a small tear running down his face. His eyes slowly turn to look at me, and the others follow his gaze. Beautiful emerald eyes, streaked with such sorrow, morph immediately into pure amazement as he surveys me. They crawl over me, starting from my head to my toes, scanning me for reasons unknown. Then he finally speaks.

"Mona, is that you?" he gasps, "You changed even more since I left you thirty minutes ago!" Xavier grasps his head unbelievingly. "I can't even recognize you anymore, except by the smell."

"What happened?" I ask curiously, fingering a strand of my red hair in my slender hands. It did seem to be much longer, stretching past my chest instead of cutting off at the shoulders. My nails aren't stumpy either, at a perfect, French-manicure length. Even my face feels different, more sharp and angular.

"You didn't look in the mirror?" the crystal-haired man beside him grins, "That’s a shame."

"I'm so sorry, Mona," A figure whirls into the garden, hurriedness in his steps. Ray slides up to me, past Xavier in the grass, "I didn't think of the risks involved when I tried to convert you. I should've told you..."

"Why are you still here?" Xavier immediately snarls at the almost identical werewolf, "You were supposed to leave by morning." Tension ripples between them, ice in the air.

"I couldn't leave without apologizing to Mona," he says angrily, "the guilt would ruin me."

"That's the point, idiot," Xavier snaps, "I don't want to look at you ever again, anyway."

I have had enough. "Ray did nothing wrong," I fire at him, "I knew the risks. I made the choice. Ray shouldn't have to leave the pack because of me. I'm here, aren't I?" My words float in the breeze towards Xavier's unwilling ears. Indignation pierces me, emanating so everyone can see it.

"But... I almost thought you wouldn't be," Xavier stands up regally, and then reaches out with one finger and strokes my cheek. Passion erupts under his touch, boiling beneath my skin. I nearly choke at the sudden wave of desire that almost overwhelms me. Why does his touch affect me so?

The werewolf sweeps me into a hug, which somehow seems gentler. His crushing embrace doesn't hurt like it sometimes does; only comforting me. Sparks of warmth erupt, and suddenly I feel safer than ever before. Is this what a true hug is supposed to feel like...?

I subconsciously close my eyes, swept away by his evident devotion. Usually I would feel angry at his easily displayed longing, but now, I don't really care.

I almost lost him.

"Ooh," a teasing voice erupts from behind us, "we get to watch a love scene." Hurriedly I jump away from him, suddenly aware of how my face had been moving closer to his. My lips are aching to be touched, stinging with disappointment at the chance that was lost. Even my body is fighting me, begging me to give in to my lust. But I must be stronger.

Jake laughs at my embarrassment, being able to see right through my guise. "Look," he continues jeering, "she's blushing." I cover my face with my hands, hoping that Xavier didn't catch my tomato red cheeks. Wes is chuckling also, Ray rather hesitant to join in. He looks bedridden, bedraggled with sadness and... annoyance? He doesn't seem to feel very guilty, disguising this strange fact under humility. I can almost spot a tidbit of triumph and pride searing through him as he looks at me, biting to be let through.

I can tell Xavier is melting as he turns his gaze towards the accused, softening as he looks at the almost identical copy of his face. I am trying desperately to stare holes into Xavier's head, willing him strongly to accept the wily werewolf slumping beside me.

Finally, almost regretfully, he nods. Ray lights up like a light bulb, racing back into the mansion like a little rabbit, a blur of energy. I smile up at Xavier with approval.

"So, Mona," Wes begins, smiling flirtatiously, "what can you do? How do you feel as a Spier?"

I only stare at him for a few moments, completely devoid of recognition. "Remember?" he probes, looking at me with concern.

"I'm not... dead?" I question softly, looking once more at my hands. They definitely seem real.

But I can't be alive. Not after what I had been through the night before.

"Of course not!" he laughs, "You’re as alive as I am."

Maybe my suffering was only a dream. Maybe I didn't truly experience the torture. "What do you mean?"

"What abilities do you have?" Wes is relentless, buzzing with energy, "Can you run super-fast?"

I guess I am alive.

Xavier notices my sudden awkwardness and glides to my side. His fingers reach for my hand, but I quickly snap it away before he is able to clutch it. Wes grins.

"Just run somewhere. Anywhere close by," he gestures to the wide outdoors, "and think about getting there quickly." His instruction is clear as crystal, yet quite embarrassing. I don't want to run in front of these super-werewolves. I'll look stupid.

Xavier gives me a slight nudge, and I give it, starting off on a slow chug to a nearby tree. Dirt kicks into my face from my slow jog, and I begin to wish for a hat.

"Pick it up!" Jake calls, laughing as I start to zoom with my strangely not-stumpy legs towards the goal. My breathing is heavy and labored as I run towards the bark, and it seems to get further away with each stride.

Another second and Xavier is by my side, laughing quietly. "You don't have super speed," he informs me, "that's for sure. You did run about forty miles per hour though, which is pretty fast."

FORTY?!

Struck silent with wonder, I let him lead me back to the others. "Cool!" Jake smiles, "you've improved, though you are not quite 'super'."

"Strength?" Wes suggests slyly, and I have to grin.

"There is no way I am going to arm wrestle one of you. You guys will drive my hand through the table and into the ground. There is no way."

"What about that tree?" Jake points at the gigantic trunk a couple feet away, "try to break it!" I stare at him, dubious. Me, break that monster?

I walk towards it, and encircle it with my slender arms. With force I didn't know I had, I squeezed it tightly, causing cracks to run through it. But I can't do more, no matter how hard I tug.

"Not super strength, either," Wes notes, pulling me from the plump tree, "what do you think, Mona?" His beautiful green eyes are sparkling, so similar to the ring on my finger.

"Well, I can smell," I shrug, "and see far away." Definitely that is a plus, although I am rather confused. Why are they testing me for Werewolf abilities, when Ray converted me into a Spier? He told me that the only thing a Spier can do is conjure spirit spears and live forever. I would have to build my own strength.

The wind brushes past me as Xavier surprisingly nods. "That's one," he smiles, "and her appearance has definitely changed, so that makes two."

I examine my slender fingers, and perfect toes. "My appearance changed?" I finally ask, trying to make the pieces come together. "Why? I thought that only happens to werewolves."

"Well, see," Xavier tries to explain, "I sort of... intervened at your Awakening." He looks down at the soft green grass, almost seeming ashamed. "It was failing."

"Failing? I was going to die?" Alarm sears through me at his words.

"You were this close," he holds two fingers barely more than a hairsbreadth apart, "to dying." His face grows slightly red, sadness washing over him like a flood. The air feels even colder than when Ray and Xavier were standing across from each other, chilling me to the bone.

"Then what?" I ask.

"I used a drop of my blood," he says slowly, "and tried to convert you into a werewolf." Doom impends upon me, anger rippling through the thick atmosphere.

"WHAT?!" I nearly shriek, "I don't want to be a werewolf!" It is strange to think this, especially at my young age, but I want children. Becoming a werewolf would make me unable to have one of my own.

"Why?" Jake asks, "There's not much difference." He shrugs, laying belly up in the dirt, staring at the spotted skies.

Wes seems to guess at my concern, his eyes widening slightly, then shoots me a wink. "I'll keep your secret safe," he mouths, grinning like crazy. He seems to find it amusing that a cold person like me would want kids.

"Anyway," Xavier continues, "you slept for almost 20 hours. It's almost nightfall." I stare at the hints of pink and orange shooting across the sky, the sun beginning to drop towards the earth.

"How do you conjure a spirit spear?" I ask, getting right to the point. Xavier shakes his head.

"You have to learn that on your own. As a Spier, it is important to meditate to immerse yourself in your spirit, and then it will be easier to call upon a spirit spear. If you are to be part of our pack, you will have to develop this talent," Xavier informs me.

"But I thought I was already part of your group!" I protest, almost feeling excluded.

"Not part of the six," Xavier clarifies, "but with us all the same."

I huff, angered. Usually I would be happy to hear those words, but for some reason, it only irks me now. "I'm going to go rest," I say dismissively, retreating back into the mansion. This is almost too much for me to take in. Xavier moves to follow me, but I hold up a hand and he ceases moving.

As soon as I am away from the watchful eyes of Wes, Jake, and Xavier, I hurriedly examine my body with my eager eyes. I am suddenly excited to see how my form has changed. With quick steps, I race into my room, shutting and locking my door.

Everything smells so sweet now, the little pot of flowers by the door tingling my senses, enriching the room. If I look hard at each petal, I can find each tiny detail, every mistake that separates it from being perfect. At first it almost hurt, but now this strange enhancement feels normal.

I cross over to the mirror, and close my eyes. Should I look? I am afraid now to see how I have changed. What if it is for the worse?

But when my eyelashes flutter as they creep open, I find that I shouldn't have worried. A whole different person is staring in the mirror. There is no way that is me. The mirror must somehow being dysfunctional.

I laugh, slightly, then walk over to the bathroom and look into that mirror. Anger begins to seep over me as the same strange person stares back. What is going on? Why am I not the one shown?

I race to another mirror, and am alarmed to see the same girl standing in front of me. There are no other mirrors to turn to. I am trapped with this beautiful woman that strikes incredible jealousy in my heart.

This can't be me, for that doll-like girl is flawless.

Long, ruby red hair dances past her shoulder, smooth and not frizzy at all. Her face is in a perfect heart shape, with a pair of exceedingly bright green eyes and luscious red lips. Her body is slim and much taller than mine, about five inches added to her long, enviously curvy legs. She has a little bit more of a chest than I do, and long arms with slender fingers. Her skin is tanned and smooth.

But why is she wearing the same clothes as I was yesterday? And why do I see some stark similarities between me and her; in our eyes, hair, and face?

I reach up with one hand and slowly touch my lips. The strange, breathtaking girl follows suit, mirroring my actions. I smile, and she smiles also, revealing a set of perfect white teeth. Pulling my hair, I watch as she copies me, in perfect sync with my movements.

Who is this girl behind the glass? She obviously knows what I am thinking, to be able to copy my movements so gracefully. Every move she makes is like a ballerina's step, doing the exact same thing as I am with an added beauty. Everything about her is beautiful. She outshines a girl like Sidney easily, drawing all the attention. She is nothing like me.

Suddenly unnerved by her, I back off from the mirror, going to sit on my wonderful bed. My body sinks into it, suddenly surrounded by the deep mattress. It is hard to believe that I can be special, someone that can benefit Xavier’s pack. What I can do now is amazing.

How can I run so fast? Forty miles an hour is as fast as a car on the road, when I used to lag behind the slowest jogger. I created cracks in the tree, and if I had kept at it, it would have broken. The Awakening will even allow me to create a spirit spear, by which I can kill my parent's murderers. Maybe it would be good to start meditating now in the forest. I want to avenge my parents as soon as possible.

I try to tell myself that is the only reason why I want to be a Spier, but I know that is not true. Being immortal appeals to me because of a man I can barely even think of without either getting angry or elated. Now I am stuck with him (or is it the other way around?) forever. Why does that not repel me?

A strange question begins to pound at me, scaring me to pieces. I stuff it into the depths of my mind, avoiding it completely.

I know I said I wanted to rest, but now that I finally met a strange girl that haunts the mirrors in my room, I have no intention of staying here. Might as well creep into the forest on the mansion grounds. I have become rather acquainted with living here, and I know where everything is.

I slip into the garden again, where the three werewolves have been lazing about for all this time. "Back so soon?" Wes asks slyly as I reappear, Xavier chuckling.

"That was a quick nap," Xavier says, and I smile. I am truly helpless against him.

"I'm going into the forest to try and meditate," I say quickly, then begin to walk towards the vast expanse of trees. However, a hand catches my arm, stopping me in my tracks.

"You can't go alone," Xavier says worriedly, "Shifters have already proven they can bypass the barriers."

"Watch me," I snap, tugging my arm away from his loose grip.

"Relax, Xavier," Jake agrees, "Yi's there. She will be safe with him." Xavier hesitantly backs away, and I start to sprint away before he has a change of mind. Yi is in the forest? What could he be doing there?

Why has he been so cold recently?

Once I reach the first wave of colossal trees, I weave in between them, hoping to find some clearing with a little pond. I did say I was going to meditate, and I am, but a nice little bath in the warm water will also do me some good. At the very least I can try to check my reflection to make sure that girl vanished.

My nose scrunches up a little, and a waft of pineapple-something hits my senses. It is similar to the scents of Jake, Wes, and Xavier, signaling me to the fact that this must be Yi. Without really knowing what I am doing, I start to move towards the smell, wariness beginning to creep upon me. I'm not all that eager to be alone with Yi, but it would make Xavier feel better, and he might be able to help me meditate. I also need to figure out why he has been ignoring me. At first, he was almost flirtatious, but ever since we captured that Shifter, he has changed. He looks upon me as if I am disgusting.

I stumble into a huge clearing, complete with a pool and lovely flowers. The little pond is as clear as can be, no fish beneath its waters. Joy erupts within me, and I completely forget Yi. I begin to shed my clothes so I can "meditate" in the soothing water.

"Hey, don't take your clothes off in front of me," the tree beside me speaks. I jump back, more than a little grossed out at the strangeness of this forest. Fright dances across my features as the voice suddenly gets closer.

"You only want to do that when you're alone," the voice teases, as smooth as syrup, "and right now, you're not."

"What's going on?" I ask as the grass suddenly crunches, though not by my feet. A branch cracks, leaves crumpled. "Who's there?"

"Your worst nightmare," the voice whispers into my ear, closer than ever. I scream, running away from the creepy words. Yi suddenly steps through the air, appearing before me like a magician, full of smugness. He stares at me, and begins to laugh hysterically.

Red blooms onto my cheeks as he smiles, examining me. "You look completely different now. Seems like I can talk to you again," he concludes after scanning me, "you don't look fully human anymore."

I narrow my eyes at him, unnerved by his sudden friendliness. "Why were you avoiding me earlier?" I demand, my stare sharp and piercing. He freezes for a second, and then opens his mouth reluctantly.

"Well, you... reminded me of someone I used to know the night we almost killed that shifter," Yi admits, sitting down in the warm grass. Everything about him seems to grow solemn at his words, even affecting me.

"Who?" I probe after a long, stretched silence.

"Her name was Raina," he grins weakly, "my childhood friend from thirty years ago, when I was born. I am a very young werewolf."

"Okay..." I motion for him to go on.

"When I was almost murdered by bank robbers-" he begins.

"Bank robbers?" I ask, confused. Yi is not a very good storyteller.

"I worked at a bank," he explains quickly, then continues. "When I was almost murdered, Jake happened to be passing by, and he saved me from them. I was badly hurt, with a bullet in the chest, so he went ahead and converted me without notifying the council. When it was known that I was a Stealth Talent, he added me to the pack, and I disappeared off the face of the earth. However, my best friend Raina coincidentally discovered me when I had my first morphing. She demanded to know what I had become. When I told her, she was not angry or disgusted, but interested. She told me that she was able to see the Shifters since birth, but never told anyone that she could. She asked me if she could watch one of our Shifter attacks."

"This is a strange story," I smile, "did you let her go?"

"Yeah," he sighs, "I was in love with her since kindergarten. I'd let her do anything." His voice is tinged with sadness, and boiling anger. "Even though Xavier said not to."

"What happened?" I put one hand on his back, calming him.

"She reacted just like you. It must be a woman thing, to feel too much compassion. Raina took one look at the man possessed, and said she couldn't let me kill him. She said he was a person, and that would make me a murderer." Yi is expressionless now, his words lacking emotion.

"Where is she now?"

"Dead. The shifter killed her before I could react," he says softly, a hard, determined look to him. "I hate them."

"I'm so sorry," I sympathize with him. Silence sizzles between us, and when Yi can't take it anymore, he begins to babble.

"She wasn't my mate, anyway. I will find someone new to fall in love with... I'm sorry, Mona, for being so mean. You just looked a little bit like her, and your reactions were exactly the same..."

"Shh," I pat him on the head, "cheer up. If Xavier can fall in love, you can too."

"But now," he adds, brightening a little, "you don't seem a bit like her. Your eyes are just like ours... I have a question, Mona."

"Yeah?"

"Are you a werewolf or a Spier?" he asks thoughtfully. "Your looks have changed, and I saw you run here really fast. However, I have seen no Spier abilities from you."

"I have no clue," I confess, "I don't know how to conjure a spirit spear, so I can't know for sure. What are you doing out here, anyway?"

"I have to practice my Stealth talent," Yi shrugs, "or I won't become fully matured. Right now, I can only hold my invisibility for about three minutes."

"Do you know how to meditate?" I ask him eagerly. He nods slowly. "Can you teach me?!"

"Here is what you do," he begins, lying in the grass, face up. "You can sit in the pool if you like," he smiles evilly, "I don't mind." With a big gulp, I decide to lie beside him. There is no way I'm taking off my clothes in front of him. He will probably steal them and run away.

"Breathe regularly, and close your eyes. Try not to think about anything. Clear your mind," he instructs. My eyelashes hit my cheek, and I try to think of nothing.

Wow, this is hard.

Silence reigns as I feel the thin blades of grass, as jittery as a rabbit. "You stink at this," Yi laughs, standing up, "I could feel you squirming around like an earthworm."

I continue to lie down, trying once again to focus without the attractive Asian by my side. All I can see is black. What happens after this? What do I do?

I begin to think back to Yi's story, and suddenly my mind flashes to the Shifter in the mansion. The young boy with eyes of fire. The devil beneath the skin.

I jump up and start to sprint through the forestry, ashamed that I would forget him. Yi gallops along with me, not even looking where he is going. "Where are you heading? You were actually doing well for a minute," he says with some concern. I ignore him, chugging away towards the mansion as fast as I can. I whirl past Xavier and the others, Yi stopping briefly to talk to them. They can catch up to me in a second, though, with their super speed.

The area around me grows dark as I enter the mansion, a stench belonging to the possessed boy wafting to my nose. I follow it like a bloodhound to a random door. Xavier zooms up behind me, anger in his features. "Don't go in there!" he commands, but I disregard him, knocking it open with all my strength.

The boy is laying on the luxurious bed, his dark arms and legs tied to the bedposts. A piece of heavy duct tape is stretched over his mouth, and his red eyes are wide with heart-wrenching fear.

The fear vanishes as I move closer, replaced by pure, savage madness.

"Mona! Stand back!" Xavier calls as I lean towards his face, "he can hurt you."

"Got a nasty bruise from him," Jake mutters, rubbing his slightly splotched arm. For some reason, I can hear everything, but all my focus is on the poor soul in front of me. I ignore the others, examining his bloodthirsty gaze and stained heart.

With sudden direction, I place my hand on his head, remembering that contact brings the voices. Immediately they pound in my head, hurting as they overwhelm everything. The same horrifying KILL command beats like a drum, and the whisper of a protest lays in the corner, unable to fight. It is much weaker than last time, I having to strain to hear it.

But this time, I can do more than just listen.

With strange guidance, I try to reach for the weak voice, wanting with all my might to help him. To aid his rebellion. Strength is leaving me, pouring into the one small protest. I suddenly find it hard to stand, and I wobble on my feet. Tiredness washes over me like a flood, destroying my defenses. But I keep going. The thought of saving this man from the same fate as my father helps me stay awake.

"Mona!" I hear faintly, reality trying to bring me back. I squeeze my eyes tightly shut, shaking my head no. I am fighting with him, and distraction right now will ruin it.

The protest grows larger and larger, and then starts to scream like a train whistle, high and exceedingly annoying. It deepens into a lion's roar, unending with power, unleashing its fury. The deathly command starts to fight also, growing in volume equally. My head and heart is pounding. Looks like I'm going to be deaf for the next few days.

A few more seconds of this torture, and then the command fades away, ceasing to exist. The red retreats from the teen's eyes, leaving a spectacular chestnut color. He is sweating, life truly returned to him. His stench slowly morphs into a neutral aroma, faintly sweet. He is emotionless for a minute, and then erupts into a spectacular smile. "Are you an angel?" he finally asks after staring for a moment. He is gazing at me as if I am a sky full of stars, with wonder and awe. Is his image of me a little warped?

"No," I grin back as I answer him, flattered. I turn to four open-mouthed werewolves in the corner of the room. Their jaws are nearly hitting their knees.

"That," Wes speaks for all of them, "was amazing. We've never seen anything like it." Xavier, with his beautiful blue hair, just stares.

I peer over into the mirror beside me, just noticing its presence. There it was again; that strange, stunning girl that I do not know.

Raising my arms, I peer at each of my perfect fingers, while the other girl does the same. There is incredible power hiding behind each of these fingertips, power that I have yet to unlock. Is this the me I have been so desperately desiring?

I turn to the still-awestruck boy staring at me with wide eyes, and my smile grows wider. Who knows what I can do with this power?

Anything is possible.