A Howl In The Night - Romance, thriller, paranormal

romantic stories collection, all English or hindi romantic stories, long romantic stories in English and hindi. Love stories collection. couple stories..
admin
Site Admin

Re: A Howl In The Night - People Are Like Ants... They Alway

Unread post by admin » 09 Jan 2016 11:25

People Are Like Ants... They Always Follow Their Queen

A purple sun is cast over dark, blood red waters, whispers of screams still clamoring to leave the horizon. A castle like a shadow lays at the edge of the lake, the color of the night. True terror is in the air, mixed with fear, pain, and longing.

A man paces back and forth in a dingy room, muttering words that should not be repeated. Bookcases stretch across each wall, a single door creating the only gap. Soft chairs as soft as silk are lying about, and a minuscule coffee table is set in the middle of it all. Only one other person is in the room, listening attentively to every sentence he spits out after a string of expletives.

"I can't believe this has happened..." the man, face unknown, turns to his companion, "I made a huge mistake."

"Everyone makes mistakes," the slightly gray-haired, stubby man the size of a dwarf, does not even truly care about his predicament. However, the tall man with a veiled face is very distraught.

How can he fail not once, twice, thrice, but FOUR times in his mission? If he wishes to stay on his throne, he better be seeing more results from all these traps his servants have been dropping around the mansion. If not, his subjects will not obey him. They expect him to foil the prophecy, but he has only succeeded in helping to fulfill it.

This last attempt, though, is the crowning glory of his failures, the cherry on top of the sundae. It makes the others look like a simple game.

How could he have switched the two bottles by mistake? Sure, they were identical, and smelled almost exactly the same. But leave it to him to completely forget which one is which, and take the one that guaranteed disaster.

The veiled man, wrapped in a thick, velvety robe, continues to speak, words coming out of him like the soft flow of the harp. "I am the King," he emits, voice barely above a whisper, "but I am not worthy."

It is then that the chubby man truly comes into play. He marches over to the majestic man's side, tugging on his arm to force him to the small man's height. "You ARE worthy," he tells the man quietly, every word packing a powerful punch, "you are the only one in the entire kingdom with a true body. You are the only one that is free to be your own. You can do things your subjects can only dream of. Everybody wants to be you… You are the only one who can save us." His eyes are steady, gazing through the folds of the veil.

There is a moment of complete silence, and then the tall man rises upwards. Fire is alight in his eyes, anger and determination clearly seen. "Close the gates," he commands, "no one in or out of the kingdom may bypass it. It must open for no one. Also double our security around the kingdom. If they are ever found within the area, bring them to this castle. I want to gloat before I kill them forever, and with it, any chance of destruction."

"But what about... that?" the man points to a mysterious object resting in the crown the veiled man wears.

"This," he pats the crown softly, "is safe with me."

The object pulsates a glowing red on top of a wealth of rubies, electricity crackling in the thick, choking air. The tall man sits down in a rough leather chair and takes a sip from the wine glass at his side, smiling.

The next time he tries, he will succeed for sure.

My eyes fly open as I scramble out of my resting place among the tall trees and thick blades of soft grass. Which, coincidentally, is by a beautiful bathing pool that reminds me of the spa tub the pack owns at the mansion.

Or maybe it isn't coincidental.

But whatever the case, I have been getting wonderful progress on my meditation, although these frightening visions keep popping up sometimes. Is this what's supposed to happen? I haven't even conjured one spirit spear yet.

These strange dreams are getting more plentiful, many featuring the veiled man, and some showing the strange, deathly sharp gates as they bang to a shut. Everything I see is desolate, the kingdom not exactly the picture of health. Every time I shut my eyes, almost, I am whisked away to the place of smoke, death, and tears.

I start to run through the trees towards the garden after checking my watch, noting the time. Chills run through my stomach as I realize that school is only twenty minutes away, and with it, the stares.

Even a couple of hours staring at the mirror has not convinced me that the beautiful girl looking back is me, and if I am feeling that way, the school's reaction will be truly unpredictable. I almost want myself back, so I can go almost unnoticed through the crowds, but now since I am implanted into another's body, I will have to hunch to be below them. Xavier is treating me exactly the same as before, comforting me a little. Maybe this girl in the mirror really is an illusion, a hallucination concocted by my deepest, darkest desires.

Jake, Ray, and Yi treat me like normal also, although Wes obviously has hyped up his flirting, ticking Xavier off immensely. He has to almost constantly pull Wes off me, although I personally think it’s rather funny. I have gotten used to Wes's hilarious advances, which is strange considering that just a week before I had never really talked to a guy, let alone a handsome one. I think Wes just does that because he knows it makes Xavier angry.

But school? A completely different matter. I know they will react. How they will react is the real question

I race into my room, smelling the sweet dandelions by my window as I look at the clothes thrown on my bed. All my clothes from before do not fit me, which is a shame because I didn't even get to wear them all. Somehow, almost magically, a whole new set of stylish apparel was in my closet this morning. They all fit perfectly, sliding over my new form like butter and flowing past my ankles. As I checked the back of them earlier, they all were designer clothing, leading me to believe Xavier had done some late night internet shopping. When I asked him, he didn't deny it.

Today's choice is a light blue blouse that reaches my hips and dark jeans that fit me like a glove. I shimmy out of my t-shirt and shorts, almost feeling like a "peeping tom" when the girl's unfamiliar, creamy skin is bared, and slip into the clothing. I am about the same size as I was before, but the length is completely different. I don't know how Sidney is going to take it when she finds that I suddenly tower over her. She likes to look down at me, but now she will have to tilt her head upwards.

I comb a brush through my now-long red hair, marveling at its softness. It isn't as exotic as Xavier's blue hair, but I feel it has its own appeal. It is completely straight and dries quickly, which are both strange but enviable qualities in long, thick hair. Everything I have ever wanted is what makes this new body, but instead of true admiration, I feel fear.

This is not what I want.

If there was some way to change back, regaining my imperfections, I would take it. Before, I wished desperately for change, but now I don't care as much. Once I desired everyone's acceptance, but now I only need one's...

I shake the image of him from my mind, scrambling to tug on my shoes. With one more glance at my watch, I run out of the doorway, heading to the bridge where Xavier and I meet.

A dastardly handsome bombshell with eyes like emeralds and luscious blue hair waves at me as I walk closer. "You look pretty in your new clothes," he says, his silky smooth voice sparking fire within me. I subconsciously straighten at his side, my flowing blood red hair dancing past my upper back.

"Really?" I can't help but squeak out those words, flashing him a smile to hide the discomfort. Maybe Xavier really likes this new shell I am now trapped in, one with physical beauty far surpassing the average human. I am currently almost Xavier's equal, our looks perfectly in sync. Men will now desire this flawless body like women love Xavier's build. Inside beauty doesn't matter when you have eyes like emeralds and lips like luscious cherries.

"Of course," he offers me this heart-melting smile, and offers his arm. With a heart thumping erratically in my chest, I take it. I start the run, a slow jog that doesn't even tire me anymore, and Xavier easily matches my pace. He laughs, pure joy echoed in his eyes.

"Why the jog?" he questions.

"Because we have to get to school before we're late," I laugh back, hoping that he won't discover my truly troubled demeanor. He has enough worries of his own.

We continue for a few more miles in silence, and then Xavier pulls on my arm and comes to an abrupt halt. "Is there... something you need to ask me?" he prompts slowly, concern in his features. I suddenly realize that my smile had been morphing into a scowl as we ran.

I decide to ask the questions on my mind. "Xavier," I begin, "what did you look like before you became a werewolf?" Obviously worse, which is kind of hard to imagine. I tried to put myself in his shoes. If I was a beautiful werewolf and I just got mated to an ugly guy, what would I do? Part of what attracts me to him is his physical beauty; without it he could have just been another annoying, jeering guy.

Xavier reaches with one hand towards his pocket, pulling out a small picture. "I thought you might want to see this." He hands it to me, and I stare at the person I know so well.

His eyes are a crystal blue, framed by enviously long lashes and a face much like the present Xavier standing beside me. His hair is a golden blond with blue streaks, and his build slightly less attractive. But other than that, they were identical. "Why blue streaks?" I stare at the golden-blue clash, still managing to look attractive on Xavier's form.

"Because I lost a bet with my friends," he shrugs, "and was forced to do that. It just happened to be the day I was practically killed by a werewolf." He fingers his azure hair, sparkling in the light.

I feel so jealous. How could he look like that as a human?

"Do you... like the body you have now?" I question softly, and he laughs.

"Oh, this shell of perfection? Nah," he shakes his head, "I really don't care. It is the inside beauty that really matters." His emerald eyes gaze into me, understanding my inner qualms. Funny how he used the word shell also, as if he thinks of his physical appearance like I do.

Silence crackles in the air, tension between us. It is usually not like this, but now I have a biting curiosity that I must satisfy. Xavier senses it too, stiffening as my mouth opens.

"Please tell me." I look up from the dazzling picture and grab his arm. He seems resilient, but then breaks under my intense stare, weak against my hopes.

"Well, there's not too much to tell. I was driving to a party, when some strange force stopped the car completely. The windshield became blurry, and I was unable to see anything. There was dead silence, and then the creature ripped the car door from my vehicle. It was a monster, half man and half werewolf, what we call a Beast Talent. He immediately clamped down on my arm and dragged me to a clearing in the forest. There, he started to claw at me, a rather disgusting experience I would rather not speak of in detail," he shudders, "it was terrible. The werewolf was blinded by bloodlust and my somewhat pleasing scent. However, I managed to hurt him as well, and some of his blood got in my wound. The light of the full moon began to convert me. Once the werewolf realized what had happened, he tried to escape, but in a matter of seconds I was a werewolf also with a bloody vengeance. Werewolf conversions are nearly immediate, although yours was not the case because of the Spier blood. Anyways, I killed the savage werewolf and sort of... took his place. That is why the council didn't exterminate me for being a stray."

Xavier has killed someone? And he speaks of it so lightly. It is as if killing is nothing to him, almost like a friendly hug or pat on the back.

"The council again..." I think aloud, "what is it?"

"Well, think of it as a police force and a judicial court rolled into one. We don't have too many laws, but the ones we do have need enforcing. The first one is no new converts without alerting the council, except cases like mine where someone didn't intentionally convert me, and the other is to not reveal themselves as a werewolf to humans unless they are mates. The latter is not particularly enforced unless it becomes a serious matter, but the first one is very important. We do not want to overrun the human world, especially as immortals, with werewolves. The council consists of a ruling pack, of which a werewolf named Remi is the head."

"What about Yi, then? Why didn't they exterminate him?" I quickly remember that Yi got converted without approval.

"They pardoned him because he shows incredible promise with his Stealth Talent," he comments. "When he becomes fully matured, he will probably be one of the strongest Stealth Talent in the world. Already he is invaluable to the werewolf community."

"Wow," I think of cheeky, skinny Yi... the strongest Stealth Talent in the world? No way. He's too immature to be something like that.

We start up again, and I start to feel more comfortable by Xavier's side. The world blurs slightly around us, and I can sense his alluring presence washing over me like a flood. However, as the school begins to come into view just over the tips of the trees, a strange feeling of cold fear starts to collide with the peace, and I suddenly get shivers running up and down my spine. My knees begin to shake, and my grasp on Xavier's comforting arm gets crushingly hard.

"Ow!" Xavier rips his arm from my grip, "that actually hurt!" He looks as his now-red skin, indented with nails, a slight amount of blood seeping forth. I nearly gape at the pain I inflicted on Xavier's supposedly indestructible arm, wondering exactly what I will be capable of in the days to come. Xavier seems to be thinking along those lines too, being deep in thought.

We continue to travel through the bushes into the narrow pathway leading to school. My breaths become faster, and more frenzied as we go along. "Calm down," Xavier's relaxing, musical voice enchants my senses as it wraps around my innermost fears.

Students begin to merge with us in clumps as our feet pound on the sidewalk. I can feel them immediately latch upon me like lasers, burning holes through my skin. Immediately I try to shrink, wishing I could scurry like a rat into a hole in the wall. I am tempted to use my speed and zoom away from the rude people who only want to gossip and stare. I feel as if I am under a microscope, being scrutinized at every second.

As the crowd grows thicker with interested observers, I begin to hear what immediately comes after an intense gaze. "Who's she?" whispers erupt all around me. I can hear almost everything now, and I can easily overhear their words.

"Who knows. Maybe she's new."

"Look at those long legs! She's like a model!"

"Who is that hot chick by the blue-haired guy?"

"She looks like that ugly girl that always used to walk around scrunched over with a pissed off expression on her face except prettier!"

"Much prettier."

"Even Sidney is not as gorgeous as this girl!"

"Who the crap is she?" I hear Sidney's shrill, whispering voice as she walks a couple feet away from me. I shudder slightly.

We entered the school, Xavier reaching to hold my hand. I look at the amused people around us, suddenly flushed with embarrassment, and snap my hand away. "Not here!" I whisper angrily, though what I really meant is not ever. I am not going to let him disarm me again. The wall to my heart shall not tumble to ruin.

However, he is making it shake, and that is what is scaring me so much. I don't like to be vulnerable, and Xavier is doing an awful good job of making me feel that way. I am independent. I can't lean on anybody, for all they do is leave. My mind flashes back to that time, and my blood runs cold.

One more hammer to my heart, and it will fall to pieces forever.

Xavier frowns at me slightly. "What's up with you?" he says, staring into my soul with bright emerald eyes, "penny for your thoughts."

"I'm sorry, Xavier," I sigh, "but right now, they are worth much more than that."

"Name your price." I look up from the floor into Xavier's serious eyes, at the absolute certainty of his words. All I do is just gently shake my head, unable to give them away. I am not ready.

I wince inwardly as his hand touches mine, and then retreats as if he had committed some sort of crime.

Our classroom stands before us, reeking with boredom. This was the class with that uber-lazy teacher who just types on his computer all day long. Also... the only one I have with that vicious serpent named Sidney.

And this one just has to be first.

"Let's just get it over with," Xavier says, propelling me into the room to find our desks. The stares are worse here, people openly scavenging me, scanning my new appearance. It is just like before, except that I am practically imprisoned in here with them until the mischievous bell rings.

Sidney flounces into the room, her long, blonde tresses flowing past her upper back. She is adorned in a light pink baby doll dress, one a bit too short to be decent, and five inch wedges. Her baby blue eyes scan the room for a moment, then focuses on my form. She walks over to my side, a light, happy smile on her face.

"Hey Mona," she greets me, "Hey Xavier." I slightly smile back, unconvinced by her friendliness. "Nice" and "Sidney" are two words that do not mix.

"Hey Sidney," I speak, once again amazed by the prettiness of my voice. It is like an orchestra, a melodious harmony of notes coming together to create a few words. Sidney notices this, her smile growing a little tight-lipped. She obviously misses the time when my voice sounded grainy and weak.

"That is such an adorable outfit!" she practically squeals, "I love that top."

"Thanks," my smile grows a little wider and more rapturous, I pleased that someone likes the attire I so carefully selected. Maybe she is thinking along the lines of "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em!" I honestly have no clue why she is like this.

Xavier flashes her one of his golden grins too, causing Sidney to melt into a puddle on the floor. He seems very happy that Sidney is being nice to me. Sidney senses this, and craftily slinks to her seat as the fat teacher finally gets up from his perch on the swivel chair.

"Hello, class," he emits with a voice like a geek, assuming and haughty. "Today you need to turn to page 787 in your textbook..." He rambles on for a minute, then quickly concludes his daily two minute speech. "Read chapter 14, section 9, and answer all the following questions. What you do not finish is homework." He shuffles from the front of the classroom to the back of it, plopping down on his favorite plush chair. He never actually teaches us anything, just telling us to read. No one ever does homework in his class either, because he never checks.

Except me. I'm the only one that gets annoyed with my teacher because I actually want to learn something.

I quickly flip the textbook open to the correct page, while the others all whip out their phones and start texting and shouting to their friends across the room. Sidney starts whispering to Ian, and Xavier turns to me with a reassuring smile. "You're going to do the lesson?" he asks innocently. I nod slowly, beginning to sink into the paragraphs of knowledge, delving completely into the foreign lands I love to explore.

I can feel a set of emerald eyes focus on my face as I read, interest clearly shown. "You're so beautiful when you are like this," he says softly, almost mumbling to himself.

"Like what?" I almost shiver at his words, so full of caring and devotion.

"When you are reading, you seem so peaceful. Serene." He closes his eyes, leaning back against his chair, "like an angel. I met one once, you know." He is speaking barely above a whisper, so soft that only I can hear.

"When?" I ask eagerly.

"Well, right before I was converted, I was dying. The werewolf had practically torn me to pieces, and the pain was... well, no words can describe it. I was floating between delusions and reality. Then, right before his blood touched my skin, I had a dream," his eyes turn glassy as time ticks back for him, "it was about heaven and hell."

"Tell me about it," I demand, leaning towards him. I can sense his closeness, his dizzyingly attractive smell that nearly forces me to attack him with my heavy desire.

"I was on an island, completely alone. It was basically just a patch of sand, surrounded by miles and miles of ocean. A beautiful angel descended out of the clouds, heading my way. Along with her, a set of stairs appeared, pure white and leading into the clouds. However, when she extended her long, pale white hand, I could not take it. I reached as hard as I could, but right before I could even get within a foot of those stairs and the woman, they would seemingly get farther away.

Right beneath me, however, it was a different story. The sand rumbled and turned as hot as coals. Fire was immediately dancing beneath my feet. I howled in pain, running around the island to escape the burning. Finally, though, I was trapped in a circle, fire surrounding me at every angle. The woman was right outside the circle, and I felt that if I could only escape this prison, I would finally be able to reach her. But just before I ran through the fire, the whole island began to sink. Water began to creep up at every angle, waters so red that it seemed stained with blood. When I peered into the ocean as it nearly swallowed me, I saw that beneath me was a boiling pit of fire, and I was about to sink into it. Before long, the island would disappear completely, leaving me at the mercy of whatever was below.

It was then that the woman stared at me and gave a short little smile, disappearing into the mist like a ghost. The stairs went away too, leaving only me, the ruby red ocean, and the cauldron below."

I lean forwards, spellbound by his story. The way he speaks makes the story seem so real, as if it happened to me instead. "What next?"

"Nothing. I woke up, and found that I was a werewolf." Xavier says laughingly, "otherwise, I think I would have sunk into the pit." There is a buzzing sound, and he grabs his top-of the-line phone out of his pocket. Many people turn their heads to look at the expensive limited edition luxury item in his hand, Xavier casually lifting it to his head to take the call.

"Yes, Wes?" His face is first of excitement, then melts into fury. After a moment of listening, he nods solemnly. "I'll help out," he says reluctantly, "just send someone to get me. At this school, you have to do this strange thing called checking out..."

Within a few minutes, a robotic voice echoes through the hallways. "Xavier Rochester, please come to the front desk to check out."

"Rochester?"

"We had to make up a last name," he whispers quickly. "Anyways, I will be back at 3 o'clock to pick you up. Apparently there is a rogue Shifter running around, killing everything it sees. We need to capture it before the police does."

"Can I come?" I beg. I'm sure I can bring out a Shifter from a person again; that one time was enough to convince me.

"No," he says firmly, "this one is really bad. I don't want it within ten miles of you until we secure it. All Shifters seem to have it out for you." He rises from his desk, majestically heading towards the door. He gives me a little wave as he exits, not even noticing the adoring stares following him.

As soon as the door shuts, the viper strikes. "Well, look here," the Barbie girl rises from her seat, "Mona is finally without her shield." Everyone turns to look at us. Once again, Sidney has scored center stage, and pulled me along with her. "Now that he's gone, why don't you tell us who did your plastic surgery?"

"I didn't get-"

"Obviously you did," she laughs, tossing her curls behind her back, "so you could keep Xavier." Sidney leans in, pure menace behind her words. "Xavier is just talking to you because he feels sorry for you. You are a weak, pathetic, ugly little loser who forced Xavier to stay beside you. We would also like to know how exactly you did that, witch. You better start confessing now. Everyone wants to know the truth." She pushes me, and I land on the cold, hard floor. Everything around me seems so painful right now. So bitter.

"So who was it?!" she nearly shrieks, as I rise to my feet, "who did your surgery?!"

"Sidney!" I try to yell, "I couldn't have gotten surgery! It’s only been two days!"

Sidney ignores me, madness in her eyes. She tries to kick me, but I block her movement. "Oh, so you bewitched yourself along with Xavier?" she finally comes to another outrageous conclusion. "This is true proof that you are a witch." She snaps her fingers, and her girls come to my side. Each of them hold my arms to the wall with surprising force, though not nearly enough to stop me physically. However, it is the words that break me. I just stand there, sucked of all strength.

"Stop wishing for things that aren't yours," she creeps closer, her gorgeous eyes flecked with fury.

"Well, they aren't yours either," I squeak out, and she slaps me with all her might.

"They would be," she hisses, "if you weren't here." Indignation is in her voice now, along with pure hate. Blood begins to run from my cheek, and my mind flashes back to the memory of Ms. Penn scraping my cheek also. Maybe Sidney and Ms. Penn are related.

The other boys and girls crowd around us, staring at my now marred face. Sidney continues to question me relentlessly, without pause. "Did you brighten your eye color, or did you get contacts? So pathetic, changing it just to match your slave's eyes."

"I don't have a slave," I say softly, weak as the red liquid runs down my neck. It is throbbing, the blood disgusting me. But what is disgusting me almost as much is the teacher. What the crap is he doing? Can't he notice that I'm being bullied?

And probably killed by the end of the period, if this continues.

"Of course he's your slave. You force him to think you're beautiful, even though you aren't. You force him to hang around you, even though he deserves better than a lying witch like you," she snaps, each word like a knife stabbing into my skin.

One of the girls holding me takes a peek at my skin, and gasps. "Look!" she yells, and everyone in the room obliges.

"It's healing! And so quickly..." the girl continues, gazing at the now lightly scabbed skin, quickly retreating into perfect skin again.

"What are you?" Sidney looks in horror at the suddenly nonexistent cut, I wincing. These, out of all other words, hurts me the most.

I just wanted to be left alone. I didn't do anything to Sidney. Just a while ago, she didn't even know I existed. And now... I am a monster to everyone around me just because I didn't stay in my place. Because Xavier fell for me. The queen is out to get me, and her subjects just meagerly follow.

"You know," she says, pulling out a slender object, "I wonder if a big cut will heal as quickly... you never know with a witch." Silence is stretched taut in the air, only her voice reigning. No one steps forward, though many look with eyes of horror. However, I can tell even the sympathetic ones are appalled by me, disgusted with the fact that I am different.

She holds the knife closer, staring into my eyes. "Where should I start? Your face? Your arms? Your boobs?" Sidney casts a glance at my slightly enlarged chest, then smiles. "I think I will give your face a makeover first, because that probably took the surgeons the longest to perfect." Obviously she doesn't believe I am a witch, but is just using that to make more people hate me.

I'm not going to call for Xavier. Xavier has enough things to do already. I can't depend on him anymore.

She raises her arms and I close my eyes, waiting for it to come...

"Sidney," a rough, attractive voice stops her in her tracks. I slowly slide my eyes open to see Ian standing in front of me, a cold expression on his features. "This has gone on long enough."

"But Ian..." she whines, slinging her arms around his neck, "I have to teach this... thing a lesson." She gestures to me, and then swoops in for a kiss. "You'll let me, right?" she pouts. He stops her when she is inches from his mouth, disentangling himself from her grasp.

"Don't you have to be somewhere else right now?" he prompts her, staring into her eyes. Her gaze becomes hazy, glassy under his gentle stare. Her next words are submissive, expressionless.

"Yes, Ian," she gets up and walks over to her desk. Sidney picks up her backpack and walks out the door, and the girls drop me. I fall to the floor, the tears finally coming. They gush out of me like a flood, dripping onto my shirt I thought Sidney liked. I should have known it would turn out like this.

A hand wraps around my shoulder, the same relaxing voice entering my thoughts. "Cheer up, Mona. Everything's okay." I look up to see the whole class staring at me, completely quiet.

"Look at what you did to her," Ian pointed at all of them. "Each and every one of you."

"But we didn't hit her!" one of Sidney's girls exclaims, almost as if she did nothing wrong.

"You didn't stop Sidney from hitting her," he gave her a steely gaze; "you even helped, holding her back."

"I'm sorry!" another one of Sidney's minions leaped out from the crowd, hugging Ian, "I won't ever do something like that again! Sidney was just so..." she forces up a tear, looking into his eyes. It is immediately obvious that she likes him.

"Get away from me," he snaps, and she looks at him sadly, "I don't like liars." She retreats into the crowd, crestfallen. I hold my hands to my face, trying to stop them, but the tears keep spilling into my palm. Ian comfortingly hugs me tighter, whispering in my ear.

"I'm sorry I couldn't come earlier," he apologizes, "I was in the bathroom. As soon as I got back, this was going on." Gently he rises with me, pulling me upwards. "Cheer up."

"I'm okay," I choke through my sadness. I thought I wasn't supposed to depend on anyone. Easily I could have broken free of those girls, but it was the words that were like true stabs in the gut. I can't understand why I can't stand up for myself.

"No you aren't," Ian says softly. He sneaks a look at the rock-like teacher at the computer. "Stupid teacher," he mutters as he leads me into the hallway. Once we are alone, I subconsciously put my head on his shoulder, sobbing.

"What did I do?" I pour out my fears, not knowing quite what I am doing. Somehow his voice and presence makes me relax, makes me trust him. "What did I do to deserve this?"

"Nothing," he gently pulls apart from me, looking into my eyes. I notice that I don't have to look up so much anymore. His big blue eyes, so like Sidney's, are so close... "You are a person, just like us."

Guilt flashes through me as I realize I am not truly a person. Not anymore.

"But please tell me," he says, "why did your cut heal so quickly?" He seems more than concerned, actually interested. My heart rate quickens as I realize that maybe he thinks I am different. Maybe a person, but still different.

I am different. Why am I so ashamed of it?

"I am not normal," I say softly, "I am a monster." The tears begin again, never ceasing. Ian shakes his head.

"No. Not a monster."

I try to pull myself together. "Well, I'm definitely different," I insist.

"I prefer calling it unique, or special," he smiles, "and you aren't the only one." Carefully he looks up and down the hallway, and then pulls me into an empty room. The lights are dim, and dozens of empty desks are scattered around. Urgently he scans me, staring into my eyes. "Let me see..." he murmurs, all the while looking deeply at me. His gaze is penetrating, and I find myself begin to fall beneath them. Quickly I shake myself free of this daze, frightened. How can he do that with one look? I felt as if I was... losing myself.

"So it doesn't work on you," he mumbles, breaking our mutual stare. "That's what I thought." He breaks into an enchanting smile.

It is then that I notice how good looking he is. He has light chestnut hair, tanned skin, and a muscular body that is similar to Xavier's attractive build. Why do all these handsome guys keep popping up around me nowadays?

"Mona, I'm just like you," he grabs my hands. They feel soft and warm in his huge grasp, my slender hands fitting perfectly. "I'm special."

"Special? In what way?" Xavier suddenly flashes through my head. He's "special" too, even more so than me. However, he doesn't regard it as a bad thing, and my classmates don't bully him like they do me. Why am I treated so different? Why do I treat myself so different?

"Since birth, I have been able to hypnotize women," he says, a little bit too eager for my taste. I almost leap away from him. I definitely wasn't expecting that. But once I think about it, that would make sense. The way Sidney just obeyed Ian...

"Did you hypnotize Sidney into liking you?" I ask.

"She's just a toy," he shakes his head, "I don't hypnotize people, especially my toys, into liking me. They all fall for my stellar good looks." Ian grins, showing me a killer bicep.

I laugh. This is almost as hilarious and strangely creepy as when Xavier said he was a werewolf almost immediately after meeting me. "I thought people couldn't really hypnotize others," I giggle.

Ian gasps jokingly, "Mona! Hypnotizing is an art. People practice it all over the world. I just have an extra special gift for it." He is still grasping my hands tightly, and suddenly I feel the need to escape.

"I'm going to break up with Sidney," he says, "someone who I can't hypnotize is much more interesting to me," He shoots me a wink. "I like not being the controlling one."

"What?" I am growing nervous now. What does he mean?

"I'm going to make you mine, but without the hypnotizing. I want to see if I can do it," he grins. A hint of determination is in his eyes.

"No..." I back away, accidentally knocking into a desk. It tumbles over, hitting the ground with a clash. Fear is now in my steps. I don't want Ian. I want...

"I've finally found someone as special as I am," he tightens his grip, "this will be a fun game." The fear immediately recedes, and now I am almost consumed with laughter. So this is a game to him. He doesn't truly like me, but he wants me to fall for him. I smile good-naturedly. So this isn’t a love of Xavier’s caliber.

If only Ian knew how special I really am.

admin
Site Admin

Re: A Howl In The Night - Party Time

Unread post by admin » 09 Jan 2016 11:25

Party Time

"Just go ahead and try," I laugh, "try and steal me from him."

I point as a huffing and puffing Xavier stands in the doorway. He is staring at our linked hands with barely veiled disgust. I smirk, willing to play a little game of my own.

"I thought you were gone for the day!" I exclaim, ripping my hands from his with so much force that I nearly spin, and rushing to him, "I'm so glad you're back!" I give him one of his own bone-crushing hugs, and out of the corner of my eye, I see him slightly wince. "Act lovey-dovey," I hiss in his ear whilst delving for a kiss on his neck. It burns when I touch him with my soft lips, tingling with passion that is about to break from its collar. Xavier is bewildered for a minute, then he joins in, his arms wrapping around my form. For a minute, there is no place I would rather be. I subconsciously close my eyes, drowning in his intoxicating aroma...

"I know you guys are faking," Ian says confidently.

"What are you talking about?" I ask, pulling away from Xavier so I can see Ian's smug face. The curtain is closed, and the critic isn't satisfied.

He grins knowingly, "you don't do anything that regular couples would. You've fooled the rest of the school, but not me. I see how you rip your hand from Xavier in the hallways. I know that you don't love him."

I look from Ian to Xavier, alarmed. I rush to him, hugging him tightly. I should become an actress.

"Why would you say that?" I rant, "that is so mean!" I shoot Ian a death glare, and for a moment, Ian seems unsettled. And for another second, in the safety of his warm hands, I am unsettled too.

Maybe I have been lying to myself all this time.

Away from the eyes of our audience, practically buried in each other's arms, Xavier shoots me a wink. I roll my eyes, and the forbidden question flits out of my head like a stray thought, ready to return at a later date. A date I am definitely not waiting for.

"Okay then," Ian shrugs, "if you hate me so much, then we can just be friends first." He grins mischievously, "I know, sooner or later, you will be falling for my irresistible charm. I did save you, you know."

"Save you?" Xavier asks suspiciously, narrowing his beautiful eyes, "from what?" The animal in him seems to rise, and for a second I spy the wolf in him, baring his teeth at the intruder.

Ian's perfectly shaped mouth twists into a smirk. "Sidney, well, was having one of her bad days," he hints, leading Xavier to the obvious. He turns to me, utmost concern carved in his features.

"What did she do to you?" he asks with probing eyes that look into my soul.

"Nothing," I lower my eyes, ashamed that I couldn't have taken care of it myself. Ashamed that once again, someone had to save me.

Anger builds up in him, clouding his handsome features. "Tell me." For a second, I can sense his ancient, yet perfectly preserved mind, superior in almost every way as he speaks to Ian.

"Don't get angry with him!" I yell, running between them, "I will tell you myself."

My breaths are heavy as Xavier finally turns to me, the anger dissipated from his face. However, some bafflement is still in his expression. Why would I save Ian from his wrath? I don't know for sure myself. "What happened, Mona?" he questions me softly, gently.

I am nearly choking the sentences out, for it is my failure. I do not want Ian to tell, for Xavier will kill him, whereas he will only be disappointed in me if my lips form the words. But I don't want him to be disappointed. I want him to be proud.

"They bullied me," I look to the floor, staring at the floor, "because I am different. Because you talk to me." Silence sizzles through the air, thoughts lingering on the tip of my tongue. "Because suddenly I have everything they have ever wanted," I whisper, concluding my insight. Xavier's eyebrows rise slightly, and he chuckles.

"Jealousy, huh?" I stare at his face, contorted with amusement. He doesn't even seem serious. "So what did they do to bully you?"

"They were about to cut her with a knife," Ian cuts in; "they already slapped her and bruised her with their words." I marvel over Ian's thoughtful diction. They bruised me with words... nothing suits the impact better.

Xavier straightens, the laughter vanishing from him as quickly as a stray thought. "Sidney slapped Mona?" his words are full of caution and worry, "did she draw blood?"

"Of course she did," Ian shrugs, "you know how she likes to wear a ton of rings."

His face is now robotic. "How fast did it heal?"

"About thirty seconds," I say quickly, "they called me a monster." Memories rise in my mind, most of which I can barely bear to remember.

Xavier doesn't even look at me, staring at Ian. "Mona, go home. Wes is checking you out. I will join you later."

"What?" I stare at his deathly serious face with unrestrained worry. Suddenly it seems as if the happiness is sucked from the room, Xavier walking closer to Ian with measured footsteps.

"Go home," he growls at me, and I literally jump back. I am not fond of this side of him... it is as if Xavier morphs into someone I do not know at times like this. Quickly I race out the door and into the hallway, bringing the door to a gentle halt behind me. The last glimpse I snag of them is when they are inches apart, Xavier demanding something from Ian with surprising force. What is he planning? Why did their discovery of my quick healing change his attitude so much?

I force myself to trust him, walking down the hallway slowly. Deep in thought, I wonder what exactly Xavier wanted to talk to Ian about. Everything seems so mysterious now, cloaked in secrecy.

Everything went through a complete and total change, a 180 degree turn of behavior in that extremely hot classroom. Why did he send me away?

A golden vision troops to meet me just as the bell rings, people coming out of the classrooms and almost completely stopping at the sight. Such beautiful, shiny gold hair... not one person has hair even close to that color in the entire school. Even Sidney's voluptuous blond hair pales in comparison to this man.

I sigh as Wes waves at me, knowing exactly what will come next.

Great. Another round of whispers to pass among my classmates.

"Mona!" he calls, as if waving isn't enough, "we have to go!" He finally reaches me, putting his handsome face near my ear. Shivers run up and down my arm as he touches my arm. "We captured the Shifter, and you need to get there to coax it out as soon as possible."

People are edging closer to the rays of sunshine reflecting off his hair with eyes of wonder. Many more are staring at me with viciously envious eyes. They must be wondering why I am suddenly talking to all these beautiful guys.

I'm still wondering that too.

I allow Wes to drag me to the door, passing the tons of silent, staring people that would probably love to chop me in half right now. His hand feels so warm, but doesn't burn me like Xavier's touch does. They are both incredibly handsome, yet each of them feels so different.

Right before he whisks me outside, the door where I just exited swings open and two beautiful guys step out. One has dizzyingly blue eyes, while the other outshines him with eyes of emeralds and azure hair that glitters in the sunlight. Each move the blue-haired man makes is graceful and smooth, his body flawless. Some eyes are immediately magnetized to this new entrance.

Sidney appears in the hallway, walking as if she is about to faint. Cloudiness is in her eyes, and she almost stumbles down the walkway when she sees my face. However, she quickly turns from me and rights herself, heading to Ian as he waves her over. She transforms into the beauty queen she is right before our eyes, fluttering her eyelashes at Xavier as she starts to talk to him. And Xavier begins to truly talk back.

I can see the corner of his mouth turn up in a flirtatious smirk, watching the way he flipped his head back in a seductive laugh. Those actions used to be mine and mine only... why is he using them on Sidney? Strange, curious jealousy floods through me at the sight, and I quickly shake my head. I can't be affected by Xavier. I don't love someone like him, so it shouldn't matter to me.

But then why does it hurt?

Wes practically drags me into the bright outdoors, my eyes unable to tear away from Xavier on their own. He smiles as I blink once, twice... trying to banish the image of him from my vision.

"Looks like someone is lovestruck..." Wes says laughingly, patting me on the shoulder, "I knew this would happen."

"I don't LOVE HIM!" I angrily punch Wes in the arm, and he jokingly staggers backwards.

"It’s okay, Mona," he tries to comfort me, "you guys are fated to be together anyways. Why are you so opposed to the idea that you might be in love with him?"

I freeze, my mind hovering over that one question.

"Because I don't like him," I cross my arms, trying to hide my discomfort.

"Yes, you do," he slings one handsome arm over my shoulder, "don't lie to your best friend."

"Who's that?" I finally crack a smile, all the while pulling away from his friendly gesture. "I don't have a best friend."

"That hurts, Mona," Wes holds his stomach as if I had stabbed him, "that hurts real bad." He stumbles to the ground, groaning so strangely that it actually looks like he's laughing...

I giggle along with him, pulling him up. We begin to walk again, this time a little more relaxed, my mind relieved of worrying about Xavier. Wes might as well be my best friend, because I have practically no one else. No girls want to talk to me, so many being envious, yet horrified over what they had seen today. A hole is in the pit of my stomach now as I realize I don't have a single friend that is a girl.

Crawling onto Wes's back, I hold on as he zooms into the forest. It is almost as if we disappear, only a whisper of reality as we whisk through the trees like a Shifter would. I feel weightless, as if I am flying as we travel. I will never forget this feeling... though it is not quite the same as the time when Xavier was the one beneath me. Whenever Xavier is the one carrying me, I can feel the pounding of his heartbeat, the warmness exploding between us like fire.

Suddenly we halt, and I find myself in the middle of a vast clearing in the forest. I soon recognize it to be the backyard at the mansion, one so large that it would easily swallow five football fields. The rich, enhanced air of the garden wafts to our nostrils, the sky clear and blue. I twist my head to look up at it, up at the sparse birds fluttering through the horizon like little, lost children.

But then, to contrast with the innocence, fiery hell was peering with eyes of red into my soul. This time the possessed one is a woman, beautiful and elegant with ebony hair and creamy white skin. However, she is writhing about in agony, and my heart suddenly aches for her. Just a few days before, I would have been jealous of her for being so beautiful. Now I know what a curse it can be.

Cuts stretch across her arms like veins, dark red blood oozing forth like lava from the depths of the earth. Both of them are being held down by Ray and Yi, her long nails scratching at their skin. It is quite strange to see, their arm constantly drawing forth blood then retreating as the wounds heal almost as quickly as they appear. But the pain is still there... every time she pierces their flesh, a wince comes forth on the corner of their lips. A smile stretches across her flushed cheeks, one corrupted by malice and mischief. Such a pretty monster.

I walk up to her, bending to look at her eyes closely. There is even more redness than the other boy I healed, so red that I am convinced she had been possessed for a very long time. "She was a bad one?" I ask them wonderingly.

"Terrible," Wes groans, "She had already killed thirty people by the time we even reached her."

"It might be better just to kill her," Ray says softly, "she's wanted everywhere. She will probably be on death row in a couple weeks."

Anger builds up in me, combined with horror and pure disgust. "It's not HER," I say sharply, "it is the Shifter inside her. Why should we kill her for something that isn't her fault?"

I lean over her, watching her form in the green grass. My finger trembles slightly as I place it on her forehead, shaking even more as I am immediately enveloped in voices. These voices are very weak and the boom of the overwhelming drum is drowning out everything. I can't even hear her voice, only sense her tiny protest as it drowns in the depths of torture.

How can I help her, who is so lost?

Suddenly I feel a terrible pain in my hand, and I jerk it away. Red smears across the tip, a throb in my index finger growing. I gasp as I realize she had bitten me, a bit of her blood on the end of her tooth. She is staring at me with real hate, a cackle emitting from her lips. Quickly I wipe my hand on my shirt and with a newfound determination, plop my entire hand on her forehead. I will not lose to this.

I search for the presence, amplifying her with all my might. All my strength, all my hope is poured into her, trying to help the one oppressed. Funny how the one hateful action fuels my drive towards the Shifter's demise.

A pair of hands seize me right before I fall into the darkness, no energy left. The draining of my force ceases, and I land into a warm embrace. Almost immediately the energy returns, fulfilled as peace comes. Quickly my eyes fly open, and I find myself to be near Wes, his eyes of concern. "You did it again," he smiles weakly, "she is saved."

I cannot move, for if I do, I will faint. Everything right now seems so dark, so weary. I hate this feeling I have right after helping the monsters, the feeling of complete and total helplessness. I always, at times like this, see my father with his eyes of red stare into my soul, cackling as he stabs a knife into my heart.

Reality dances a little further, a hairsbreadth away from my grasp. Everything becomes woozy, and I become aware that this is the end. Sleep has come to take me, and the death is on its heels. My father is chuckling as the blood seeps from my wound. This is what I get for trying to fight against the Shifters. I am too weak...

Maybe it would be best to close my eyes for a while.

"Mona," a voice whispers, on the edge of my almost nonexistent thoughts. I am floating, suspended in time. For now, I am dead. Dead to my hopes, dead to my troubles, dead to reality.

A hand shakes my arm. "Please wake up, Mona." The voice serves as a fishing rod, reeling me to surface no matter how much I want to lay beneath the murky waters. I cough and sputter, unwilling to revive myself. Being dead is so peaceful.

"W-what?" I groan, my eyes cracking open. The first thing I see is a clear, white ceiling. Then, there is a face. "Jake?" I wonder, spotting the crystal hair and the light skin.

"Yep, that's me," he grins with a vibrant smile someone could only describe as perfect.

No one else is around me, only the soft breeze and velvet covers. I peer up at his face as he continues to talk, obviously unwilling to surrender me to the void once more. "Xavier was here, but he had to go to his room to get ready for something about thirty minutes ago," he chatters, "we are all sort of used to you fainting by now. This one was pretty bad, about three hours. It is almost six o' clock already."

"Three hours?" I shake myself free of the suffocating chains, "usually it is around thirty minutes!" She must have sucked every ounce of energy I had. Anger flashes through my head at the thought that the beautiful woman took three hours of my life. Not that it matters anyway. I'm... immortal now, I suppose.

It is rather hard to believe, that I will be stuck with them forever. At first it sounded appealing, but now the thought of not living out the rest of my life seems dull and boring. It is as if we took a video tape, pressed pause on a certain scene, and threw away the remote. I never should have agreed... and I wouldn't have if not for my parents. But now it doesn't matter so much. It isn't like banishing these Shifters are helping my parents come back to life. However, it gives me a good feeling, as if my life is actually worth something. Although what I am now living isn't true life.

"Wes is taking her to a nearby airport to send her to Europe. Apparently she knows some French, and we found a passport in her wallet. Anywhere right now is better than America," he smiles slightly.

"Did she remember what she had done?" I question. He shakes his head.

"When the Shifter left, so did her memory. Just like the last few."

A sad, defeated feeling enters my chest. Shifters are so mean... just waltzing in and ruining people's lives for fun. Look at how they ruined me. I am who I am because of them.

Is that a good thing, or a bad thing?

I sit up, watching Jake stare out the window. He is alight with wonder, seeing the leaves shake off the trees and dance in the nighttime wind. They are swirling, twisting and diving, dipping and weaving, waltzing in the sky. I turn to look at them also, my small, red lips parting in a smile. The sun is hanging just over the ground, so close that they are barely an inch apart. The orange and purple are just beginning to spread across the horizon, and the garden flowers are shining like jewels in the light.

Then, I turn and peer at my own skin in its radiant beauty, creamy skin without a flaw. My hands are slender and smooth, along with my feet. I slide off the bed, walking to a mirror. For a minute, I watch my body in all its elegance, its perfection.

I hate this body, for it has brought me much sorrow. Beauty has a terrible, terrible price.

"Mona, are you okay?" Jake comes to stand beside me, placing a hand on my shoulder. He must have spied the small, almost invisible tear brimming in my eyes.

"Yes, I'm fine," I bluff, slowly pushing him away, "never been better."

"That's a lie," he says softly. There is a pause while I just stare at myself. Trying to believe the person in the mirror is truly me. After a few more seconds, Jake can't take it. "Go talk to Xavier about it," he points towards the doorway.

Maybe that would be best. After a moment of contemplating, I edge out of the room, heading towards Xavier's chamber slowly. My vision is still shaking, wobbly as I stumble over to the door. I think back to the school, when Xavier was talking to Sidney. Jealousy strikes like lightning, and I quickly shake my head. I don't want to remember. I don't want that green envy to blossom within me until there is no containing it.

I knock on the door, feeling the carpet beneath my feet crinkle slightly.

"Who's there?" Xavier opens the door slowly, looking out at me. Immediately his icy cold green eyes scan me, as if I am only a parcel. He seems tired, his handsomeness rugged. Slight circles are beneath his eyes, and he is wearing a t-shirt and jeans. I detect strong cologne that nearly makes my eyes water, mixed with that attractive scent that is on him naturally.

"What's with that cologne?" I walk into the room, trying to find the bottle it came from, "it is so strong!" Not that it doesn't smell good, but its presence is suffocating.

Xavier chuckles, immediately spiking my interest. "We both have strong senses of smell," he smiles, "but regular people don't."

He feels so cold to me right now. Why is that?

"But there are no regular people here," I point out the obvious, "only werewolves and... me."

There is a brief silence as Xavier checks his watch. "Oops, got to go," he says, "I’m going to be late." He shoots me a brief smile, and before I can protest, lands a kiss on my forehead. Then he starts walking out of the room, inciting my anger.

"Where are you going?!" I yell after him, but no response follows. Running into the hallway, I race to the garage. He is sliding into a car, the Mercedes that is used to impress people. Why is he driving? And why not one of the cheaper cars?

Is he going back to that stupid club he said he would stop visiting?

I jog to the front door, and zip into the wild underbrush. Tailing the car, I follow it perfectly. Yi has been teaching me stealth techniques, and I have gotten pretty good at it. My heartbeat pounds furiously in my chest. Why can't Xavier tell me what he is doing?

I begin to question my own actions. Why am I acting like the jealous girlfriend? Not that I am his girlfriend. Not at all.

I wonder briefly why I am such a good liar to myself.

The forest ends, and the houses begin. I find it a little trickier to maneuver through the scenery and behind the car. The car is easier to spot than most, with it being a strikingly red color. However, it must be incredibly easy for him to see me, wearing a light blue shirt, dark jeans and is running like crazy.

Quickly I duck behind a bush as the car suddenly halts. Xavier probably caught sight of me, and was wondering if the figure was really me, or a ghost. There is a few more seconds, and then the car starts again. I creep along, trying to let the car get as far ahead as possible without losing it.

I almost trip over a branch, scraping my foot slightly as I stumble along. The blood comes forth, and then disappears completely as the wound heals. With the fast recovery comes remembrance, and I recall Sidney's deathly sharp nails as they scraped across my cheek...

With a shudder, I shake myself free of the daze and follow the car into a strange neighborhood. The houses are huge here, almost like mansions. It reminds me of Ken and Barbie's dream house, a perfect world for the perfect couple. Suddenly I think of how Barbie, the perfect girl, must have felt when she gained envious girls' fondling and young boys' hatred.

The car stops in front of a gigantic house, the biggest one in the neighborhood. It is a creamy color, with enchantingly tall pillars and a beautiful, yet small fountain in the yard. Gorgeous flowers line the walls, and a huge set of marble doors stand proudly in the front. It is beautiful, almost as elegant as the mansion in the forest.

The door swings open, and a slender, yet built man exits the building. I gasp.

Ian?

He swings down the stairs with a swagger that suits him so well, sliding into the car smoothly. I suddenly hear Ian muttering, my brain shockingly processing Ian's words.

"I thought I wouldn't have to go to her stinking party..." he says sharply, "why do I have to help you, anyway?"

"Because if you don't, I'll beat you up," a melodious, joking voice replies, a hint of seriousness is involved.

"Whatever." He slams the door shut, and suddenly I hear nothing except the grumbling of the engine. What party would be going on right now?

I think briefly about the terrible feeling in my stomach. This feeling is usually associated with one person, one I know very well. Didn't Sidney say she had a party on Monday?

But if I go to the party, then won't they see me? How am I going to slip in without being noticed...?

A stupid, obnoxious plan forms in my head, and I immediately act upon it.

I walk to the door after the car drives away, standing on the flawless floor. Excitement ripples through me as I raise my knuckles and knock. I have never done anything this crazy before.

A small, petite girl opens the door, her golden-brown eyes staring up at me in wonder. She is very slim, adorned in a mini-skirt and a low cut top, but so tiny she looks like a little girl. Her hair is a bright, dyed red, and her skin is a light brown color, probably generated from some tanning bed. She is pretty, though, with pixie-like facial features and pink, kissable lips.

"Hey," she scans me slowly, crawling over every inch of me. Then she lights up, joy in her movements. "You're really pretty!" she smiles, her voice peppy. She sounds like a cheerleader, yet I can't find it in my heart to dislike the teen.

"Thank you," I laugh, hoping to win her over, "I'm Mona, Ian's girlfriend."

"Really? I'm his sister, Lauren." She goes wide-eyed, "he got lucky this time! You might be the only girl so far that is as hot as he is." I narrow my eyes slightly. Did Ian hypnotize his own sister to be so adoring of him?

"Yes," I try to get to the point, "in fact, I'm trying to find him right now. Do you happen to know where he is?"

"Ian?" she peers into the road, then back at me, "oh, he left. You just missed him."

I choke back a laugh as I realize my plan is working perfectly. "Aw, that's too bad," I force a pout to my lips, "where did he go? Maybe I could meet him."

Suddenly she grows pale, her hand rising to her mouth. Her lip trembles slightly, and her next words seem restrained. "He said he’s going to Sidney's house," she says softly, and then her eyes narrow. "You know her?"

"My boyfriend's ex-girlfriend!" I exclaim with faked recognition, "why would he want to go there?" My mouth parts in a perfect, astounded "o" along with the girl.

"I'm sorry Mona," her face grows resolute, "but Ian might be cheating on you. He does it all the time... I tell him not to! He never listens to me, though."

I mold my expression into one of fury. "I need to catch him in the act," I say angrily, all the while laughing inwardly.

"Yes," she says, "but I think it is a party where you won't be welcome."

This conversation is going perfectly. "What if I somehow get a disguise?!" I ask energetically, as if the thought just popped into my head.

She brightens up also, "that's a great idea! Come inside, and I'll dress you in some of my clothes." Swinging the door open wider, she ushers me inside. For a minute, my eyes are overloaded from all the luxury around me, but then they slowly adjust.

Dark, elegant couches lay beside a roaring fireplace, a marvelous set of stairs to the side. The main room is huge, accented by a very small pond filled with koi. A gorgeous chandelier hangs above me, crystals casting light along the ceiling. Lauren just walks past all this stuff as if it is nothing, starting up the stairs with the click of her heels. Even with her four inch heels she is about five inches shorter, and I am wearing sandals. However, she seems to wear an elegance, a dignity I feel that I may be lacking. This a rich girl's aura, full of confidence and self-assurance.

I scurry behind her, rather curious to see Lauren's room.

As we enter, I notice immediately that it is not a huge room. There is a beautiful, queen sized bed, accompanied by some nice dressers and a desk with a huge Mac computer. There must be more than this.

"This is pretty," I try to get her to show off more so I can see the true splendor.

"Really? You think so?" she smiles like a puppy, "this isn't even the best part, though!" I laugh as she leads me to another door. It is so easy to read a rich person's mind.

She slides the door open to reveal a walk in closet about the size of her room, with sofas, TVs, and rows and rows of clothes. I stare at the racks, all labeled with the category they fit into. "I told Daddy I didn't want a big room, but a big closet instead. And he got me one!" she claps her hands happily, and I get a basic idea about just how rich they are.

Leading me over to the party dresses rack, she calmly surveys me. "Most of my stuff won't fit you, or will be very short. You will just have to try this stuff on." Almost immediately she stacks a pile of dresses on me, and leads me to the huge "hall of mirrors".

"Start now while I find you a suitable wig," she commands, then disappears into another rack. I stare at the clothes, at my body, and back at the clothes.

Fun.

I slide each dress on, one after the other, wincing at how short each one is. If it is short on Lauren, then that makes it incredibly short on me. Some aren't even past my butt, and others are like shirts.

I find a simple, yet seductive dress out of the pile, designed to reach right past Lauren's knee, and slide it on. It fits perfectly, although the skirt hits mid-thigh. I decide to simply settle with that, liking the simplicity.

Lauren waltzes in with a dark black wig, straight and shiny. With a flourish, she pulls out a pair of black stilettos from the bucket by my side and practically throws it at me. "I think we are similar shoe sizes. Squeeze into it, okay?"

She pulls my hair back into a bun, placing the wig over it. It doesn't look very real, but at least makes me look completely different. I watch myself in the mirror. This will just have to do...

"Thank you," I offer her my best smile, "now, could you tell me where Sidney's house is?"

I waltz into a dirty yard, stained with beer cans and cigarettes, with disgust. A huge house looms before me, music pounding furiously from within. People bubble around the entrance, many lounging on the several chairs outside. There is much movement inside the house, several girls in bikinis and others in dresses like mine. There must be a pool around there, for so many people to be in swimsuits.

Suddenly I feel overdressed.

I stumble to the doorway, edging into the crowd slowly. People immediately rub up against me as I am swallowed by the crowd, many of the whispers starting. I stand out like a sore thumb, and I momentarily regret letting Lauren dress me up like a Barbie doll. I should have insisted on jeans and a top, instead of settling for this...

Suddenly I spy Xavier's head of blue hair, talking to a random girl in the crowd. She is wearing a light swimsuit cover-up and has brown hair. He leads her away, spiking my interest and even jealousy. What is he doing with her?

I back into a corner, my gaze focusing on the two figures navigating through the crowd. I recognize the girl to be one of "Sidney's", and my breath catches in my throat.

Suddenly, Ian appears, and the girl is immediately whisked away by the enchanting man as Xavier quickly returns to the floor. He smiles at another one of Sidney's girls, initiating the conversation once again. After a few more minutes, Xavier leads the girl to the exact same spot, where Ian appears again with a sly smile across his face. The first girl reappears in the crowd, grinning broadly.

What is going on?!

It is like Xavier is running an operation, snagging a girl that belongs to Sidney and taking them to Ian. He is moving rather quickly, being such a sweet talker that he can get a girl to follow him to the moon in seconds.

"Who are you?" a harsh, abrasive voice asks. I look up into the face of Sidney, her face in a grimace. She is wearing outrageously thick makeup, and a dress that defies all my expectations as far as provocativeness goes. Her heels are much larger than mine, her whole form intimidating. My expression morphs into morbid fear, and I race away from her like lightning.

I clatter outside, swinging off my heels. I grab them in my hands as Sidney appears before me, curiously surveying me. A crowd forms around us, many curious to see what she was asking about. Sidney probably regrets calling attention to us, for now people will compare us.

"Who are you?" she asks again, peering into my eyes. I should have gotten contacts.

Suddenly she reaches forward and rips the wig from my head. "Mona!" she screeches, "I didn't expect to see YOU here." She smiles laughingly, "I thought you would get that you aren't welcome."

I catch the wig as she lets it drop, holding it close to my chest. "I just wanted to... visit," I squeak, barely above a whisper.

Sidney looks at me with a smirk, "well, you got here at just the perfect time! We can finish what we started from this morning..." She takes a step forward, "we can see if another cut will heal just as quickly as the first one."

The pool behind me comes closer and closer as I back up, and soon my feet are on the edge. There is no place to run. No place to hide.

"Leave my girlfriend alone," a smooth, commanding voice erupts, and a muscled arm links to mine. Sidney’s eyes grow wide, and she smiles weakly.

"Girlfriend? So it is official?" she says rather bitterly, "congratulations."

I look up into Xavier's face to find he is glaring at Sidney. His beautiful blue hair is sparkling along with his green eyes, and his arm feels so warm. However, what shocks me so much are his words. Girlfriend? I am his girlfriend?

Ian troops up on my other side. "Yeah, Sidney," he says menacingly, "stop being mean. I don't think we can be together anymore, especially with you acting so jealous like this."

Sidney gasps along with her many followers, and we can see why. Ian is one of Sidney's strengths. Some of her popularity points. Ian is the quarterback on the football team, and that guy is usually reserved for the best looking or most popular girl in the school.

It is at this time that Sidney must realize that her throne has been usurped.

We start walking towards the front of the house, when the snake spits out some last minute venom. "I wish you had died when I pushed you the other day," she hisses as we pass her, each word like a lash against my skin. I haven't ever had someone hate me this much before, and I have to admit, it hurts.

Xavier suddenly turns, fire alight in his eyes. He is like a bull, ready to run someone over while he stares at Sidney. With sudden force, he crosses over to her, and shoves her in the cold water. She squeals, splashing underneath the surface.

Without another word, both of the guys escort me out of the house and into the car. People stare at us on the way out as if we are aliens, as if they don't know us.

Well, this is an interesting development.

Xavier unloads me into the backseat as if I am cattle, the other two grabbing the front. As the engine roars to life, we bathe in silence, and I feel, for some reason, as if I am about to get scolded.

"Mona," he sighs finally, making me jump when he says my name, "why did you come?"

There is a pause as I dig for an answer that doesn't sound like admitting I was jealous. "I just wanted to... meet you there?" I meagerly reply, my answer not even sounding true to myself.

Xavier laughs, a noise that makes my heart flutter. "That's a lie," he grins, "I saw you following me all the way to Ian's house."

"I was that easy to spot?" Terror strikes my heart. I thought I did pretty good, considering the nearly barren scenery.

"Well, I've had a lot of practice," he looks to the mirror and our eyes meet. Right now, they are soft, full of laughter and sweetness. "You really shouldn't have come," he emits resignedly; "it isn't like the party was much fun for you anyway."

Ian twists in his seat to look at me. "Where did you get that hot dress?" he asks, "it looks like something my sister would wear." His eyes rake over me appreciatively, a smirk gracing his lips. I begin to feel uncomfortable.

"Yeah," Xavier threw in, "I don't remember you having anything like that at home." His eyes narrow. Something tells me he doesn't like me wearing a dress like this.

"I, uh..." I tried to stop, but Xavier's eyes urged me on, "borrowed it." I stare at the dress, how it seems perfect even after I traveled through that crap. The stilettos are still in my hand, along with the furry mess called a wig. He stares at the wig as if it is a monster.

"Well, whatever the reason, you didn't have to follow us. We were trying to wipe the evidence of your cut healing so quickly. That's all," Xavier quickly diverts the subject, and I breathe a sigh of relief.

"Really?" I reply. That does seem to make sense. I feel like a stupid idiot now. "So what about Ian?"

"I hypnotized them," Ian says proudly, "into believing they had never seen it."

"And we were about to get to Sidney," Xavier snapped, "Until YOU just had to make a scene!"

"That was Sidney!" I huff, "leave me alone."

"Anyways, the point is to trust me. When I leave you behind, it is usually for a reason," Xavier finally scolds, and I shudder a little under his calm criticism.

Ian winks at us. “Leave her behind? You guys stay at the same house?”

We both ignore him.

"Well, you could tell me the reason," I say softly, "instead of keeping me in the dark."

"Oh, I will, from now on," he grins, "to stop you from following me." I suddenly get the feeling that Xavier won't let off of this topic for a very, very long time.

We stop at Ian's house, and he practically jumps out. "Thank you, Ian!" I call, and he gives me a little wave as he climbs up the steps to the doorway. Right before we roll out of the driveway, I see Lauren run out and pounce on her brother, smiling broadly. I look at them enviously. What I would give for a normal family...

Zooming home in silence, we gaze at the beautiful flowers as they fade into towering trees. "Xavier?" I finally say, as we are buried in the forest.

Xavier looks back at me. "Yes?" he says, gazing into my soul.

"Do you... understand forever? How do we know if we are immortal?" I try to phrase these questions correctly, these questions without a true answer.

"I have never understood forever, although I may be able to grasp it a little bit better than you might," he stares at the road, his hair ruffling in the air, "I have been a werewolf for a while now, and watching your friends shrivel up and die while you stay perfectly the same is rather disturbing. It gives you the feeling that you are not even real, not even a human. Time and time again I check the obituary to see that one of my parent's friends is dead, living to be even eighty years old. I always think to myself, I know them. I used to talk with them. My parents were the worst. They made me cry the most. You know why, Mona?"

"Because you loved them the most?"

"Because they were my only links to reality. Back ten years ago, I could point at a regular human and say 'You are my mom. You are my dad.' However, I can't do that anymore. Nobody knows me. I am invisible, yet visible to the human eye. I have no connection with them. All I have is my pack, and my mate," he glances at me, smiling weakly.

"I already have no connections to reality," I stare at the floor, facing the undeniable truth, "I am dead to many already. Maybe I should have died along with my parents so I wouldn't have to be so alone."

We reach the mansion, and the car stops. Slowly, the car door opens, and a strong, masculine hand grabs my own. He whirls me into a soothing embrace. "You won't be alone anymore," he whispers into my hair, "we will be together."

We stay like this, suspended in time, each feeling comfort in the other's presence. All the while, my heart is about to burst out of my chest, escalating in speed as the seconds go by. A blush blossoms upon my cheeks as I realize he can probably feel my heart as it beats… all for him.

Embarrassed, I back away, looking anywhere but at him. When I finally glance at his green eyes, I can see the glint of a smile in them. He knows… and he is laughing at me.

I punch him in the arm, unable to control my mortification. He laughs and grabs my hand, holding it in a deathly grip from which I cannot escape. I can feel myself turning into a tomato.

"To answer your other question," Xavier says softly, "we don't know for sure if we are immortal. In fact, we know we will perish someday, due to the prophecy. However, many of us are over a thousand years old, so that sort of makes it confusing. What should we call ourselves if not immortal?"

I am not even listening, absorbed completely in the heat of the moment. My heart of ice is melting because of his burning touch, sparking fire beneath my skin.

"Xavier!" Yi calls, suddenly appearing in the doorway, "come quick!" His handsome eyes are wide, and the door is wide open for us both.

Xavier's eyes grow wide also, and he lets go of me as if I was nothing. "Give me a second," he apologizes, "I'll be right back."

He disappears in the house, leaving only us outside. I walk in after him, Yi shooting me a smile. "Sorry that I interrupted your... um... private time," he smirks as I pass him into the house. I turn and shoot the worst scowl I can conjure at him. Yi can be so annoying.

The huge door comes to a stop as I start walking through the hallways, following their smell to where they are located. "Mona, stop!" Yi calls after me, "stay here with me! You aren't supposed to-"

I abruptly stop listening to him, getting closer and closer to whatever the werewolves are trying to hide.

As I approach Ray's room, I begin to hear more voices. "I guess we knew it would come sooner or later," Jake says.

"What are we going to do?" Wes asks, adopting a frightened tone that is much unlike him.

"We will probably have to evacuate," Xavier says firmly, "we need to protect her."

"Aren't you surprised that they finally figured out how to email?" Ray laughs, "up until last year they always sent letters."

I creep in through the open doorway, seeing immediately that they all are crowded around a computer. As quiet as a cat, I slip right behind them, peering on the screen. Internet Explorer is on, and the site is Google's Gmail. A certain email is displayed, and they are all scanning it vigorously.

"What is this?" I ask calmly, causing almost all of them to jump.

It reads;

Dear Pack Number 101,

It has come to our attention that you have converted a human to a werewolf without our approval. This is the third offense within Pack Number 101 in 50 years, and although the last two have been pardoned, this last offense is simply inexcusable. You are called to a hearing on Wednesday of this week at Headquarters to determine the pack's fate. The new convert will be promptly exterminated. Have a good day.

Sincerely,

The Council

All of them turn to look at me, a sad expression on their faces. Except for Xavier, of course, instead with eyes of fury.

This cannot be good.

admin
Site Admin

Re: A Howl In The Night - Come And Catch Me, If You Can...

Unread post by admin » 09 Jan 2016 11:26

Come And Catch Me, If You Can...

I look at them all, wondering what is going on.

"You guys converted someone?" Peering over their shoulders, I squint at the words. Maybe I missed something.

But instead it just clarifies the obvious.

"Uh, nothing!" Wes quickly moves to block the screen, "they are talking about another pack!"

"I'm not stupid," I glare at him, pushing him aside. I glance at the screen intently, looking at the words on the screen. Understanding dawns upon me, enlightening my thoughts, my questions. "Then why is it emailed to [email protected]?"

They all look sheepishly at the floor.

"Xavier," I put my hands on my hips, "tell me NOW." He looks up at me with his spectacular green eyes, not even the hint of a grin at the corner of his mouth.

"It seems as if the Council has tracked you as a recent convert, when you are actually not fully converted," he says quietly, leading me to the worst possible conclusion.

"So..." I look at the screen again and again, "they want to kill me." That can't be true. I never hurt anybody. I didn't even want to be a werewolf. And now this?

"You'll be okay," Xavier wraps an arm around my shoulder, "we won't let them do anything to you. I promise."

I try to drown in his comforting presence, but this time, it does no good. It only makes the pain worse. My heart pounds, thumping furiously in my chest.

"You shouldn't have told her," Ray says loudly. He narrows his eyes at Xavier.

"| would rather have her know the truth," Xavier hisses at his identical counterpart, "and there is no helping it now. We can't just wipe her memories."

Silence erupts in the room as I quickly walk away, hoping that I will reach my room before a single tear falls.

"Well, Xavier, that doesn't exactly give you any brownie points," I hear as my footsteps reach the hallway.

Who cares about brownie points at a time like this?!

I start to run, my feet flying, even blurring as I pound to my bed. Once I am there, I bury myself below the covers, trying to quell the thumping of my heart. Before, I never would have cared about dying, but now I don't want it. It used to be so close that I could kiss its dry, crackled lips, but now I fear it.

The werewolves have frozen time for me. They have thrown away my old body. They have filled me with promises that I would live forever.

And now they want to kill me.

Something about that doesn't seem quite right.

A presence enters the room; a beautiful, glossy-haired man that always takes my breath away. He comes to sit by my side, staring into my eyes.

"You don't believe me when I say that I'll protect you?" his thick, velvety voice murmurs, a graceful hand stroking my hair.

"I just don't know, Xavier," I whisper, shutting my eyes tightly. Do I believe? Do I really?

A fierce, determined look enters his eyes, flame alight. His fingers snap away from my hair, clenched in a fist. "Well, what do I have to do then?" he almost yells, scrunching up his eyebrows in fury. "I've saved you from practically everything. I have been at your side constantly. What more do you need to finally trust me?" I can feel his frustration, his lack of comprehension at my behavior. I don't quite understand either.

Anger begins to boil within me as well, irrelevant anger that doesn't make much sense in my head. "Well, where were you ten years ago? When my parents were murdered?" I say softly, menacingly. Each word is meant to be a sharp stab, a burning pain within him.

He just stares at me, a wondering look on his face. Then he gets up, his elegant form brushing against the stool he was leaning against, and nearly stumbles out of the door.

Tears brim at the corners of my eyes, and I let them fall down my face in rivers.

I remember when I was younger, when life made sense. When I had two parents, a house, and a pet. At times like these, Scotty would scramble into my arms, barking crazily until he was safely perched in my embrace. Then I would hug him, and his warm fur would absorb my sadness until it was sucked away.

Why did I say those things to Xavier? He couldn't have known about my parents' death, let alone save all three of us. I am being so unreasonable, so stubborn and like a spoiled brat. I AM a spoiled brat, not thankful for what I have.

Not many can say they are mates with a hot, stalker-like werewolf.

I guess it is my greediness biting inside me, making me wonder why even though I now have many things, it is like I have nothing. So much has changed... my heart has even been stitched back in place by a man I am unwilling to love. But I still feel empty, broken, like my heart has just unraveled and spilled onto the floor.

A conflict is raging inside my head. Xavier is a creep. He's obsessive. He's sweet. He's supernatural. He's forever.

He's the handsomest thing I have even seen.

Once again I bury my head completely under the covers, ashamed at myself. Xavier doesn't deserve to be hurt like this. I am the one at fault. I destroyed one of the things that matters to him the most.

His gigantic, incredibly treasured pride.

He does not look at me when I enter the room.

I have never felt this before. His cold, icy treatment has never been released upon me. In the two and a half weeks I have been staying here, his aura has always been warm, comforting. But now I feel unwelcome.

Everyone else can sense this sudden shift in behavior. Xavier's face is like stone, impossibly beautiful, yet unchangeable. Yi is just sitting at the kitchen table, playing with his spoon. Wes doesn't flirt with me, shooting me a brief, encouraging smile.

Jake hands me a small milk carton and a bowl of yogurt. "Eat up," he says brightly. I grab a spoon off the table, shoving it into the sweet, yummy goodness and letting it linger right in front of my lips before closing my mouth over it.

"Please sit down," he directs me to a chair; "we have to talk to you about some things." Being careful not to make eye contact with the blue-haired beast, I plop down, staring into Jake's green eyes.

"What is it?" I say as if I am being forced to sit through a funeral for someone I don't even know, shifting my facial features to suggest that I would rather be anywhere but here. I know I should apologize to Xavier, but my own arrogance does not allow it. All that fills me is bitterness. Heart-wrenching bitterness.

I sneak a quick glance at Xavier, only to find that he is staring at the wall, the window, anything but me. Anger is on the edge of his lips, and his face is resolute. He suddenly turns, catching my gaze, and I finally get to see his eyes. They are burning hot, like fire, scorching me completely. Quickly I look away.

"Mona," Jake starts slowly, "we are going to do everything we can to protect you."

I suddenly get the feeling he is bringing bad news.

"So until Wednesday, you will have personal bodyguards. One will be Xavier, obviously, but Ray also volunteered himself. They will follow you everywhere, Ray in the shadows, Xavier right by your side. Is that clear?" he asks sharply.

"Yes." It is not like I have a choice, anyways. And why would Ray want to guard me?

"And on Wednesday, they will both transport you to a safe haven, where the Council will not be able to find you. We will stay here and fight."

Alarm rises within me. "What good will that do? I don't want you guys to risk your lives for me! I refuse." The guilt would eat me alive if one of them died.

"Mona, we are okay with it. Chill out," Yi says between mouthfuls of Cheerios.

"At least let me fight along with you!" I beg.

"Let's face it," Ray smirks, "you wouldn't exactly be much help to us if you stayed, would you? You can't even conjure a spirit spear, and although you are stronger than the average human, you are also the weakest out of the werewolf population. Plus, you can get rather clouded judgment, and that doesn't exactly help you when fighting."

This is when Xavier would usually punch him in the face, but this time, he doesn't budge.

"Ray got a point there," Yi swallows the rest of his milk, smiling with a white mustache. I narrow my eyes at him, almost snarling. However, I feel almost helpless under their light attack, suddenly realizing how much I have grown to depend on Xavier over the last two and a half weeks.

"Just three days," I say softly, closing my eyes, trying to imagine the probable scenario. Ray stalking me, Xavier walking by my side like a robot. Fun...

"Oh, and you will have to miss school," Jake adds, almost like an afterthought. My eyes grow as wide as saucers.

"WHAT?!" I roar, almost causing the table to shake.

"I knew she wouldn't take it well," Ray muttered to an immobile Xavier, nearly causing my rage to explode.

"The council might be tracking you through the school," Jake tries to explain, "and then it will be easy for them to ambush you on the way home or something. When they realize we aren't traveling to Headquarters on Wednesday, they will immediately send their spies after you."

"Fine," I throw my hands in the air, leaving my half eaten yogurt on the table. "Now, if you will excuse me, I'll just go outside and celebrate my lost privacy."

I stomp away, very much aware of the fact that I resemble a toddler rather than an eighteen year old girl. I've pretty much gotten used to these theatrical entrances and exits... I'm more of a drama queen than I thought.

The world swirls around me as I open the doors to the garden, breathing in deeply as I am enveloped in beautiful sights and aromas. The flowers are even prettier than yesterday, growing more in maturity and loveliness. The colors are bright, as if they are sucked out of the rainbow itself. Trees, full of fresh, decadent fruit, sit pleasantly around the area. I walk over to a peach, and daintily pick it from the leaves. A clear fountain is in the middle of it all, perfectly clean and filtered, and I run the water over the delicacy. With finality, I chomp a bite out of the side, almost sighing as the sweetness almost rolls off my chin. This is pure luxury, one of the finest things I have tasted.

Why is everything so perfect here? Everything is always so clean in the mansion, but I never see them pick up a broom. The food grown here are so delicious, yet I never see anyone tending to them. My clothes always return in my closet immaculately laundered and groomed, but I'm not sure even Xavier knows where the laundry room is.

There must be more going on around here. I am sure of it.

I go to sit by the fountain, balancing edgily on the side, at peace with the world around me. When I finish my peach, I hold it up with my good arm and throw it almost a hundred yards away into the vast forest. Let it decompose over there.

Life has been so easy... without the domestic chores Ms. Penn used to stack upon me, all I have left to do is homework and socializing with the werewolves around me. However, living in a haven with hot guys has its bad points. I always feel like I have to look pretty and attractive around them, like I can't wear sweatpants or oversized t-shirts. Whenever I wear something revealing, though, I am immediately scavenged by their eyes. It can be rather uncomfortable.

I can't even remember the time when I didn't care about clothes and looks, even though that time was only a while ago. I have no idea if that is bad or not, but it is certainly a sign of my definite change.

"Ray, you can come out now," I say nonchalantly, staring pointedly at a slightly ruffling bush about five yards away. There is silence, and I look at it dubiously. "Seriously, Ray, come out," I demand. "I know you are there."

"Have I gotten worse?" Ray moaned as he trooped from behind the bush, "Now even a measly crossbreed can detect my presence."

"Shut up," I snap, "I'm not a crossbreed. I'm a Spier."

"Oh yeah?" His eyebrow cocked, he surveys me jestingly. "Prove it."

I glare at him, saying nothing. It is not my fault that I can't conjure a spirit spear. It's just taking some... time. And he certainly does not have to make fun of me about it.

"I thought so," he chuckles, "for now, you are a crossbreed. Do you want to see if you can shift into a dog or wolf?"

I scrunch up my eyes in anger, staring at him with murder in my eyes. Ray knows that I have already tried to do that, and ended up failing miserably.

"I'm just kidding!" Ray smiles quickly, plopping down beside me on the fountain's edge. "You can't take me so seriously."

"Actually, I can," I snort, "especially when I know for sure that you are serious."

He laughs, and for that one moment, he looks exactly like Xavier; his brown, glossy hair flipping in the wind and his eyes twinkling. "You're right," he smiles briefly, "I was serious." There is a brief pause, and then he speaks again, "I honestly don't think you are a full-fledged Spier. Maybe you will never manage to grasp the ability to form a spirit spear."

His absolutely true words hit me like a hammer, making me consider things I have never thought of before. Will I ever be able to do what a regular Spier can do easily? What might I accomplish instead?

I laughingly consider the irony of my situation. The one thing I wanted the most when deciding to become a Spier, even disobeying Xavier for the chance to get it, was the ability to avenge my parents by killing the creatures I detest. And now, even after I have gone through everything, the special Talent seems even further away than before.

"Ray, do you really and truly believe that?" I sigh, leaning up against him, marveling at the way my skin sizzles as we make contact. It is close to the way I feel with Xavier... sparks racing through my veins, exploding like fireworks. But no matter how alike they are, it still feels different, a little more dangerous and forbidding with Ray.

I watch his silent, composed face as he looks at the crystal blue water in the fountain. His green eyes are absolutely hypnotizing, an incredibly deep and slightly dark color. The scar that stretches across his cheek also attracts my attention, rough and jagged. Butterflies flitter in my stomach, awareness in my features. Is this strange reaction occurring because his face is Xavier's?

I shake my head, dismissing my thoughts. I cannot think of Xavier right now, much less his identical counterpart.

The silence spans longer, until the tension is stretched tight between us. I almost forget my own question, while fingering the fabric of my shirt, distracted by the scenery around me. Ray is almost frozen, his expression unmoving. "I hope you don't," he finally whispers softly, "for it will be even worse for you then."

"What?" I cock my head, "why worse?"

He stares at me, a dead-set expression on his face, and I suddenly know that he isn't going to say another word on this subject.

I try to prevent the terrible silence from occurring once more. "Ray, can I put my head on your thigh and try to conjure a spirit spear again?" I ask curiously, subconsciously hoping to prove him wrong. Hoping that I can do the near impossible.

He nods, then motions to the fountain. "Sure! Maybe this will help out too." With a dastardly handsome grin, he takes both of his hands and pushes me towards the water. There is a splash, and then I am submerged in the clear substance, my jeans and shirt completely soaked. He steps in also, peeling off his shirt as if it is a second skin. His tanned skin is so close, it sends sparks through my spine. "Xavier!" I squeal at him, subconsciously shivering. The fountain isn't exactly a hot tub.

His smile quickly morphs into annoyance, regarding me coldly. "I am not Xavier," he states, "and I will not be your replacement for him."

"What?" My dripping wet hand alarmingly flies to my mouth. Did I say that?

"That is what my entire life has been, from the very beginning," Ray bitterly rants, "I have always been considered to be the slightly Frankenstien-ed version of Xavier. At the bachelor auctions, I was always second to Xavier. Even Talent-wise I am lacking, just shy of him. Our looks are identical except for my ugly scar and messy hair."

"Are you twins?" I ask softly, looking into the angry eyes I know so well. They remind me of just a few hours ago, when Xavier stared at me for the first time ever with a mixture of fury, pain, and hopelessness.

"Yes," he smiles briefly, "Xavier was the oldest by 3 minutes."

"It's okay, Ray." I shoot him a bright smile, splashing him with water. "You are special in your own way. I'm not going to lie; you and Xavier DO look alike. However, people don't look at you and say 'Look, there's Xavier.' They say 'Look, there's Ray.'"

"I wish I had your confidence," Ray stares into sky, leaning back in the water, "but right now, I am nothing."

I start to lean on the center of the fountain, Ray looking at me amusedly. "I thought you said you were going to lean on my thigh," he says with a smirk.

I can't do that. Not with his tempting expression and shirtless upper torso. I'm not invincible.

"Nah, I think I will pass," I smile, edging a little bit further away from him, trying to escape from the hot guy that is almost making me drool. Ray follows me, a blur of motion until I am suddenly in his arms, unable to move. He is so close...

"Focus," he instructs me carefully, "breathe."

"How can I breathe when you are squeezing me so tightly?" I whisper harshly.

"Lean on me," Ray whispers into my ear, "pretend I am Xavier. Immerse yourself in your mind. You can succeed this time, Mona. You can do it."

I feel myself drowning in him, even though my head is far above the water. Suddenly the arms surrounding me are slightly different, feeling overflowing. It is now the arms and body of the one I love the most.

Did I just think the word love?

Alarm flashes through me, but then vanquishes as quickly as it comes. My eyes are closed, the darkness peaceful. I can feel it coming, forming in my head. It is there, if only I can grasp it.

Suddenly the shackles break, and it slips from between my fingertips. My head snaps back, and then I feel myself sinking so quickly...

In a beautiful room, lined with thick, blood red curtains and marble statues, there is a long table. A person reclines in each seat, each looking very uncomfortable, fidgeting in their position. A chubby, stumpy man is standing off to the side, pouring drinks into teacups, and then delivering them to the impatient men.

Silence is reigning over them, not even one breath heard. Each man looks like a statue, still and unmoving. It is almost like a painting, calmness in the air yet violence hanging just beyond. Annoyance and anger flits on the corner of one slender man's mouth.

"When is he going to get here?" he finally emits, his voice echoing around the large chamber. Murmurs begin, each one of agreement. They grow braver and braver, until they are speaking harshly and openly.

Then suddenly there is a hush, and the anger quells. All eyes shift to one place. The rough fidgeting begins again, surprise morphing into fear.

The veiled man casually glides to the head of the table, a smile brimming on the edge of his lips. He does not sit, towering over the other men.

"Would you like some?" The chubby man waddles over to him, holding out a cup. The veiled man takes it from his grasp, nodding slightly.

"This emergency meeting is in session," he says, his words as smooth as syrup. It seems to relax the group, each one hanging on his words. "Anyone want to state their concern?"

"Why are you doing almost nothing to capture or kill it?" the slender man says, glaring at the veiled man, "it should be dead by now." The veiled man slowly walks over to the other man's side, a smirk still on his lips. With great satisfaction, he pours the steaming hot liquid from his cup onto the slender man's head. A yelp escapes him as he urgently presses a napkin to his head.

"You know nothing." The veiled man continued to smile, but this time it is twisted, fake. "How dare you question my efficiency in this task? That is a question I should be asking all of you. Why are all of our subjects running around, causing havoc in our world and the world below? You all should have better control over them."

There is a brief pause, and then he quietly speaks, "I hope you all had a better reason than this for arranging this meeting." All the other men ashamedly look to the ground. The veiled man surveys them quietly, the smirk finally disappearing from his features. "I hate it when idiots waste my time," he hisses, causing many of them to jump.

"Can you tell us what your plan is?" a slightly chubbier man with raven black hair in the corner of the table asks politely. He seems to be the most complacent of them all, yet has a strange, dark aura.

"Alas, that is not possible at this time," the veiled man shrugs, "I can't tell everyone in here my secrets. My plan is confidential. However, there is one thing I can inform you about."

The men all lean in, their ears perked towards the words that are going to come. They all seem to sense that this is something big.

"We are planning an ambush," he smiles, speaking boldly, "they will all be there, with limited protection. If we gather enough of our own, we can take them."

"Where is there?" the black-haired man asks, curiously looking at the veiled man.

Gasps reverberate around the room as the he releases his answer.

~Xavier~

I never should have blown my top.

Her attitude infuriates me, yet interests me. Her every move makes my blood sizzle, yet attracts me as well. Why does she have to keep me guessing at every turn? Why can't she just say I love you too?

A guy can only take so much, even if the girl is your mate.

I walk down the hallway, guilt nipping at my skin. Mona was in a bad mood when she said that... I know she doesn't mean half of what she says. But it still hurts, even the thought inducing a sharp pain in my chest. She probably really hates me now.

I try to please her. My looks are probably the most she could ask for. I have a mansion, and she never has to do any domestic chores. The only thing she seems to be bothered with is the fact that I am different. The fact that my whole world is… was different from hers.

But she seems to grow more and more unsatisfied with each passing day, a frown ever growing on her lips. She spends more and more time with my buddies, not with me. And even this morning her smile seemed to sparkle at Wes.

I should apologize to her; make it better. I want to hold her hand, and talk to her like normal. This separation is almost more than I can bear. I can barely sense her now, our anger ripping us apart. It should not be this way.

Yes. This must end.

I troop to the door leading to the garden, following her scent. It is so sweet, so rich, like the finest of desserts. I nearly lick my lips as I push the door open, hoping to see her in the grass, playing with a bird, and then smiling at the sight of me. "I'm sorry for hurting you," she would say, "I really love you." Then I would smile, and everything would be forgiven.

But she is nowhere to be found.

My eyes search the garden, puzzlement abounding. I smell her rich fragrance; it being so strong that it nearly knocks me over. She has to be here. Where is she hiding?

"Mona?" I ask loudly, only to notice a sudden shift in movement. Ray twists his body in the fountain to look at me. He is shirtless and soaking wet, his brown hair plastered to his forehead.

"What the crap are you doing?" I ask. It is probably around fifty degrees in that fountain.

"I'm keeping Mona warm," he shrugs, "she needs some body heat." He shifts a little more, and then I can see her, suspended in sleep. She is leaning against his bare skin, as wet as he is.

"What is this?!" I roar, temper completely lost, "how did you guys get in there?"

"She just came up to me and said she needed somebody," he says.

My face begins to grow red, fury in my eyes. Ray stands in the water, carrying Mona with him. He steps out of the fountain and lays her in the grass gently. "Looks like Mona doesn't need you," he says softly, "You need to treat her better, or she just might find someone else." He takes his dry shirt from a nearby tree, and drapes it over her. "I got to go," he walks to the door, "I'll give you some time alone with her. Maybe it’s time for you two to kiss and make up."

The door swings shut after him and with it swings my insanity.

I glare at her furiously, and then I take Ray's shirt from her body. With barely suppressed anger, I clench it in my fists. Subconsciously I shift into a wolf, tearing the shirt with my teeth.

I lift my nose to the sky, and let loose a howl.